What's new

TCFHE Press Release: Star Wars: The Complete Saga (Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Aha! We should take note of the penetration of Blu ray into the market as of today so we'll know how fully accepted the NEXT BIG THING will have to be before Lucas consents to re-re-release the Saga in that format!

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
Here's why it's not a simple process to bring the original editions to new HD telecines:

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/savingstarwars.html

Quote:

Had the film remained like this, we would have a restored version of Star Wars, perfectly matching the original release but with pristine quality, even to the point where it was better than what could have been possible back then (as with the higher quality optical transitions). However, this was only part of the process of making what was eventually called "The Special Edition." ILM was working on many dozens of new shots, and an even larger amount of enhanced shots, using digital effects to re-do, expand, re-edit and otherwise alter many scenes in the film. When these were completed, they apparently were printed onto film and re-cut into the negative, replacing the original negs, which were undoubtedly put back into storage. As a result, the negative for Star Wars is filled with CGI-laden modern alterations. When Lucas says that the original version physically does not exist, this is what he really means--the negative is conformed to the Special Edition. Of course, it would be very easy to simply put the original pieces back and conform it to the original version, or use the separation masters and IPs, or simply scan the old pieces for a digital restoration, but I digress.

One was that the negative was scanned only in HD resolution of 1080p, in 10-bit RGB. [36] This was a state worse than the primitive 2K scans ILM had done for the SE. By contrast, when Blade Runner was restored and enhanced in 2007, the live-action was scanned at 4K, the normal standard, and the visual effect shots at 8K. Godfather's 2008 restoration was scanned at 4K for the entire film, while Wizard of Oz's 2009 release was done at 8K. Why Lucas chose to source his master from a paltry 1080 HD scan is hard to fathom, especially when 4K was long in place as the standard, with 6K and 8K looming on the horizon as a viable replacement since data storage was becoming cheaper. One reason may be because Lucas was shooting the two prequels--Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith--on the Sony CineAlta, which itself was 1080 (being the first generation of HD feature-film cameras). This is another undoable element of the prequels--filmed on 1080p HD, they have, at the most, less than half the resolution of the 35mm original trilogy, with some arguing that 35mm resolves 5000 lines, meaning they have just under 1/5 the resolution (Phantom Menace was shot in 35mm, but then scanned in 2K--which is still an improvement over the following two films). With the new 2004 SE existing partly to link the six films, this was indeed the case as the original trilogy was lowered in resolution to that of the first three episodes. Ironically, as Lucas moved into more "high tech" digital arenas, the quality of the image slowly declined, going from a 35mm original, to a partly-2K 1997 SE and then a fully-1080p 2004 SE. According to Videography, the negs were scanned on a Cintel C-Reality telecine, at 1920x1080 resolution, in 4:4:4 RGB, recorded to Sony SR tape. The second caveat that resulted from scanning the O-neg is one that was irrespective of the output resolution, and this was that they were once again working from a copy of the film without color-correction, since the meticulous work YCM Labs did existed only on the SE's Interpositive (again, the O-neg can't have its physical image corrected, it has to be produced on a copy). Perhaps because of the fact that Lucas had lost all of his color-work, he embarked on a new principle--instead of faithfully reproducing the look of the original release and photography, as had been the case on the previous re-release, it could be digitally manipulated to have a slicker look that matched the high-saturation, high-contrast look of the three prequels.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Uh oh........

AND the slug still on the Emperor. (Now I'm sure it's probable that this is not the final transfer but.......)

Also, I like how the trailer states "The wait is over"...Well.....not really.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
Couldn't they simply scan a decent original print, like that lovely Technicolor one of Episode IV that screened in Boston last year? The Library of Congress just added Empire to their preservation list, so either they already have a good copy of the 1980 version, or will soon be given one.

Almost anything would be better than those ancient 1993 video masters they tossed onto the bonus DVD's at this point.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It's too bad that I'll never be able to see STAR WARS as I did in 1977. The only thing I can do is to ensure that I do not financially reward the Emperor by refusing to purchase his adulterated "saga".

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by WillG

It's too bad that I'll never be able to see STAR WARS as I did in 1977
Well, you can. Just not with an anamorphic transfer.

I should clarify that I meant a high quality transfer. I haven't watched a non-anamorphic transfer in years. I made it a point to never purchase non-anamorphic discs. They are virtually unwatchable on modern HD equipment.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Argh! Mad at myself because I did my pre-order before checking the forums and following the link there. Sorry!

I did get the Complete Saga edition, since I do love all six movies (yes, even Phantom Menace) and heck, it's Star Wars! Very curious to see what the "30 hours of extras" includes, especially if Empire of Dreams is brought back, since it was a good telling of the OT story.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Originally Posted by MattPeriolat

Argh! Mad at myself because I did my pre-order before checking the forums and following the link there. Sorry!

I did get the Complete Saga edition, since I do love all six movies (yes, even Phantom Menace) and heck, it's Star Wars! Very curious to see what the "30 hours of extras" includes, especially if Empire of Dreams is brought back, since it was a good telling of the OT story.

You can always cancel your pre-order and do it again through the HTF link.

Doug

johnSM

Second Unit
Real Name
John
Grrr posted this in the 'wrong' Star Wars thread - it was meant to be this one which I assume will now be the 'official' Star Wars on bluray thread from now on. Anyways:

By the looks of that trailer - which admittedly MAY not show the finished product - the lightsabers are STILL pink especially in the cloud city fight sequences in Empire, and - for example - that scene where Luke and Vader's sabres clash in front of the Emperor's face (PINK! How threatening is a Sith Lord with a PINK sabre?!), and the colour balance is way off still in some scenes.

Whilst I would love the originals transferred with the same care that went into - for example - the Blade Runner sets, or Close Encounters, many would be happy if they at least made the SEs as good as possible. Instead we get bad 'cartoon colour' timings, pink lightsabers (!), dated CGI in many instances (as someone else here noted, how ironic can one get), lack of 'cgi window views' continuity in corridors in the expanded cloud city segments (some windows disappear in subsequent shots!), jarring edits to make way for new scenes ("alert my star destroyer blah blah" just DESTROYS that beautiful music spoting in that sequence & all the tension) and so on. I'm just amazed nobody appears to notice this stuff at Lucasfilm & mention it - it's basic quality control that you'd get for just about any release (major or otherwise) these days... This isn't Star Wars nerd-moaning, this is basic level quality control one would expect for any classic film.

The irony here is that George said he did the SEs because he wasn't happy with how the films originally turned out due to time and budgetary constraints. Fair enough. He then fixes everything, says he is now happy and how they now represent his original vision (could he not have easily filmed Greedo shooting first then, back in '76... I digress!). Despite saying this, he then changes shots again (notably a V.2 of the poor Greedo shooting first CGI, and the more obvious Jabba re-do) for the 2004 DVDs which must surely indicate that the 1997 versions were NOT complete, and he wasn't happy with those either. Why doesn't he NOTICE the shots are bad to begin with?! The same can be said of the terrible Yoda puppet in TPM - didn't anybody SAY anything back then that he looked nothing like Yoda? Rumor is this puppet will be changed to CGI for the prequal Bluray sets... yet another example of 'after the fact' tinkering to correct mistakes which should have never happened. This 'ah I can fix THAT in a future DVD/Bluray release' makes for lazy film-making in my humble opinion because nothing is ever finished/polished off. George seems to treat each release as a 'service pack' to plug up the flaws with the previous version, ala Windows!

The only reason I'd buy this set is purely for the deleted scenes, but since it appears that the only way to get these is to get the whole set with the terrible prequals too, Lucasfilm have lost a sale from me. If they'd included these extras on the original trilogy sets, and if it looked like they'd listened, took note, and fixed the issues with the 2004 DVD transfers, I'd be extremely tempted to part with my hard earned.

It's a rather depressing sign that some fan edits out there show more care and professionalism than official Lucasfilm product! Anyone who's seen the famous Adywan version of Star Wars (sorry - A New Hope!), or his re-colour timed SEs know how good these films can look...

At this point I WISH Lucasfilm would stop trying to be the jack of all trades, and give the entire saga to a company like Criterion who'd do these films full justice.

For those that like the prequals, and/or the SEs, lets hope they at least get everything right with version 3 this time, with no more errors - sorry! - "deliberate creative decisions".....

- John

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I seriously doubt that this trailer comes from the source files for the blu-ray, which at this point are likely still being worked on.

Doug

Dan Keliikoa

Stunt Coordinator
Ordered up the Saga, supporting HTF! Thanks Ron.

This could become THE BluRay thread for 2011...expecting equal parts excitement and hand-wringing :)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I will probably wait until the price drops more on this set. Looking at the quick price drop on the Alien set, I would expect better prices around the holidays. I can wait.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Originally Posted by Adam_S

Here's why it's not a simple process to bring the original editions to new HD telecines:

Yes, but as the article says:

Of course, it would be very easy to simply put the original pieces back and conform it to the original version, or use the separation masters and IPs, or simply scan the old pieces for a digital restoration, but I digress.

I suspect that sooner or later, when Lucasfilm needs a gimmick to re-sell the films yet again, they'll miraculously "find" pristine elements in their vaults.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thanks for that link, Adam. I knew they had cut into the original elements for the SEs, but I hadn't realized that so much of the 2004 work had been done at 1080p.

I dunno. I want to be excited about this, and it is good that they are releasing separate trilogy sets as well; I didn't expect that, and it's nice. We'll see.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Adam, I'm confused. You say that "it's not a simple process to bring the original editions to new HD telecines," but the article you quote says that it is "very easy to simply put the original pieces back and conform [the negative] to the original version, or use the separation masters and IPs, or simply scan the old pieces for a digital restoration."

ShanonS

Stunt Coordinator
I'll definitely come back here when it comes time to place my order. Sorry to join the minority, but I also enjoyed all 6 films. I didn't say I liked them all equally, but I didn't even like the first three equally...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks