3D TCFHE Press Release: Life of Pi (3D Blu-ray Combo) (Blu-ray Combo)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 21, 2012.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    I'm skipping it at home because I hated it in the theater but I DO recommend a viewing. Either you are going to be accepting of its religious messages and absolutely love it or reject them and be downright ANGRY about this film. Hard to find something this beautifully produced that can elicit such an extreme reaction from me.

2. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I didn't have either reaction. While they don't mean much to me, I still was able to find the beauty in the messages and what Pi got out of them.

3. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    What an entertaining read. I was laughing at how cranky and confused the projectionists were because of the the artistic ratio shifting. I'm still not certain what the native aspect ratio is because it sounds like some of the projectionists were using incorrect settings thereby causing all sorts of anomalies during playback. One said the proper setting is "flat" so that the 2.35:1 scenes would then be letterboxed, and that's also what Ang Lee seemed to imply in his interview.

4. RBlenheim

RBlenheim Agent

To most people who are mentioning the religious message of the film, they are missing the meaning entirely. I am a humanist (I call myself a 'spiritual agnostic'), and I am happy to report so many are not paying attention to the last part of the film, especially the dialogue. The film clearly says (in the story given by the older Pi at the end) that he knows the reality of what happened, and that his fantasy is clearly untrue, but he prefers believing it because his life has had too much pain and tragedy, let alone the guilt he can't deal with in himself. And he isn't stupid: he knows the terrible truth of what happened in spite of his story. The most important five words in the film are what PI mutters at the end of his monologue. What he says is: "So it is with God." What that clearly says is that God is ALSO a fantasy and untrue, but valuable for many in dealing with the pain and guilt in their lives. The film is, ironically enough, sort of a Trojan Horse that nails religion for what it is: A lie that is found to be useful. Bob Blenheim

5. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Producer

This sounds like one of those films that could be interpreted in whatever way a person wants, according to their belief system. Your unequivocal statements, according to your belief system, stray into a discussion on religion which is forbidden on this forum.

6. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    In the book,
    the insurance men reported that the boy was trapped on the lifeboat with the tiger, even after being told the opposing story about the cook and the mother.
    I'll go with the book (and the movie).

7. RBlenheim

RBlenheim Agent

Edwin S: Is this also true your posting can be taken a number of ways? (Joke.) Actually, I don't know how else the phrase
    "So it is with God"
    could be interpreted in context. It's pretty obvious. By the way, I noticed Steve Tannehill had a comment hidden by spoiler. I didn't know you could do that. I think I need to beg your forgiveness if what I did was reveal a spoiler. I'm sorry, and I'll be senstive to that in the future! Bob

8. RBlenheim

RBlenheim Agent

Edwin S.: What do you mean 'forbidden by this forum'? I was interpreting the film. Didn't intend to get into any religious discussion. I also thought it was more honest to admit my tendency as humanist. But I guess I do need to apologize for the last line of my posting sounding unequivocal. Sorry about that. I'm used to speaking (and writing) freely. I probably shouldn't have said that as if it were a fact. Of course, I am aware this is a film discussion board. We all share that love. Edwin S., You rightly pointed this out. Apologies. I'd like to end on a better note: "Life of Pi" is a wonderful film, and it's my vote for the Best Picture Oscar. It'll probably go to "Lincoln" or "Argo", though (also two great films). Peace, Bob

9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I'm pretty sure that it can be discussed but only within the context of discussion of the specific film.

10. RBlenheim

RBlenheim Agent

You're right. Sorry again.

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Updated this thread with studios' official press release as well as preorder links for both the 3D and standard Blu-ray combo.

12. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Well the Blu-ray will be out this coming Tuesday and there are still no official reviews. I'm curious as to how the multiple aspect ratios are addressed in this release. DVDBeaver has screencaps out but they are all 1.85:1 and he makes no mention of the AR shifts. I hope the Blu-ray will mimic the theatrical release which shifted between 4 different aspect ratios.

13. Reed Grele

Reed Grele Screenwriter

Reed Grele
    I'm pretty sure that the flying fish scene will be 2.35x1 with 3D projections going into the top and bottom black borders.

14. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    As a general rule, the PR firm that handles Fox releases does not make it habit to send review copies out very much ahead of time. I will be receiving one of the review copies for HTF, but I wouldn't expect it before next Monday, and it could be later in the week.

15. TheBat

TheBat Producer

Jacob
    bluray.com has a review for the 3d version and mentions the shift in aspect ratios in the review. Jacob

16. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    I can appreciate Bob's interpretation and find it spot on.