What's new

TCFHE Press Release: Forever Marilyn: The Blu-ray Collection (1 Viewer)

bluirv

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Irv Haas
I just received the UK version of the Forever Marilyn set and it is indeed Region-Free!
I know there were many who were leery of buying this set since it was not compatible with US players.
Unlike the US set, this one only has 4 titles:
How to Marry a Millionaire
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
The Seven Year Itch
Some Like it Hot

This set is priced much lower than the US version which has 7 titles.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
saw it on blu ray.com and jumped on the price, hopefully the other singles will come down as well, since i already have the three that have already been released

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thank you Allen for the tip at Amazon for the Seven Year Itch. I placed a hold on the title a Barnes & Noble which in store cost was to be 25 bucks and tax. I worried I might not get my Forever Marilyn in time for this weekend hence the hold at the store. I had time though to change the shipping speed at Amazon which cost me just what the price of a single copy at Amazon would cost. I will have it Thursday. The whole point to this is you helped me get my box set sooner.
So once again thankyou. I see TCM will start early with their Marilyn tribute on the 4th. PBS will also air back to back specials on the 5th which i look forward to.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I wonder if the blu-ray of THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS has the deleted Donald O'Connor-Ethel Merman number "Anything you can do, I can do better"
I saw it in a Hidden Hollywood documentary years ago but it did not make it onto the DVD, so I am wondering if it is included in the blu-ray.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Richard M S /t/321170/tcfhe-press-release-forever-marilyn-the-blu-ray-collection/30#post_3955983
I wonder if the blu-ray of THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS has the deleted Donald O'Connor-Ethel Merman number "Anything you can do, I can do better"
I saw it in a Hidden Hollywood documentary years ago but it did not make it onto the DVD, so I am wondering if it is included in the blu-ray.
I have watched the three previous Marilyn films in the set's "Book One," and the bonuses are paltry. Show Business is the next one in the set, but I rather doubt that number will be there (I hope it is). That Hidden Hollywood set of Fox outtakes was released on DVD years ago and may be still available.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
I can confirm that Wal-mart has all five single disc releases out - priced at $9.96 each. YMMV, but I've found with catalog like this, the Super Wal-marts are usually good at stocking them. OTOH, since they are probably the same price on the website as well, there's a good chance Amazon can be convinced to price match.
Not expecting a revelatory appearance with these given the early Cinemascope issues, but still happy to see these appear on the format.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Paul_Scott /t/321170/tcfhe-press-release-forever-marilyn-the-blu-ray-collection/30#post_3956067
I can confirm that Wal-mart has all five single disc releases out - priced at $9.96 each. YMMV, but I've found with catalog like this, the Super Wal-marts are usually good at stocking them. OTOH, since they are probably the same price on the website as well, there's a good chance Amazon can be convinced to price match as well.
Not expecting a revelatory appearance with these given the early Cinemascope issues, but still happy to see these appear on the format.
Too late for me as my boxset arrives today, but good news for others still sitting on the fence for these titles, especially, those that only wanted 1-3 titles.

Crawdaddy

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
As of this minute the Walmart website is still $8.86 for Itch and $18.86 for all the rest, but it's cool to hear that the brick & mortar Walmarts are selling them for less. Also keep in mind that Walmart's pricing structure is regional - not all stores have the same prices.
Paul_Scott said:
I can confirm that Wal-mart has all five single disc releases out - priced at $9.96 each. YMMV, but I've found with catalog like this, the Super Wal-marts are usually good at stocking them. OTOH, since they are probably the same price on the website as well, there's a good chance Amazon can be convinced to price match as well.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Mark-P said:
As of this minute the Walmart website is still $8.86 for Itch and $18.86 for all the rest, but it's cool to hear that the brick & mortar Walmarts are selling them for less. Also keep in mind that Walmart's pricing structure is regional - not all stores have the same prices.
Wow. Did not know that. Hopefully everyone will be able to get them at this price.
Too late for me as my boxset arrives today, but good news for others still sitting on the fence for these titles, especially, those that only wanted 1-3 titles.
Given how hard it was to find the Woody Allen and Hitchcock films for a good price at retail this past January, I was not expecting to see the Monroe films anywhere under $20- so I figured with the good price on Itch, I'd order two more and the aggregate price for all three would be something I could live with. All three should be coming from Amazon today- but two will be going back now. Even with the return shipping it's still a savings of $17.
I might have been up for the set (even though like most fans I already own the other two) but the packaging was seriously unimpressive. I don't need a lot of whiz bang and flash, but with the wealth of good photos of her out there, this could have been far more visually stimulating- not too mention it looks like it's slightly oversized as well.
A three disc slim case + a four disc slim case + a small booklet full of publicity photos, key art for all the films, and some brief liner notes- all in a classy, compact slipcase.
That's something I, and I bet a lot more people, would have jumped at.
eh...I'm just thankful these are finally coming out. Itch was on the schedule several years ago before it got pulled- it's been a long wait.
Hopefully the rest aren't more than a year away. My money is on Niagara looking the most impressive out of all of them.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Mark-P said:
Thanks for the price tips. I will stop out at Wal mart today to see if I can find the titles at $9.
Thanks!

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
I recommend that for those who want the new 5 to blu titles from the set go to Walmart and get them. I got my $69.99 Box Set delivered from amazon today and I haven't opened it yet... but I also don't feel like driving all over to get the titles at WalMart.... but this "BOX SET" is the biggest let down.

It isn't a Box Set it is a DVD Sized case that cost $69.99 but took about $0.20 to make. This box set needs a PRICE Drop on Amazon today. This set should not be priced more than $49.99 on sale. Retail should have been $64.99 at the most. I realize the set contains 7 Discs and the movies are what matter, but when you pay $69.99 you deserve a nicer set.

kagemusha98

Second Unit
Real Name
Ken Koc
I just got the FOREVER MARILYN 7 disc set. It is the worst packaging or handling of a "box set" I have ever seen!! The disc were loose when I open the flimsy cardboard ...and there is no mention anywhere of the contents on the discs!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Powell&Pressburger said:
I just got the FOREVER MARILYN 7 disc set. It is the worst packaging or handling of a "box set" I have ever seen!! The disc were loose when I open the flimsy cardboard ...and there is no mention anywhere of the contents on the discs!
As disappointing as it is to hear how crap the packaging is, it make me selfishly happy that I waited on ordering this. I'll continue to wait until it happens. I can see this, as well as the Hitchcock and Bond sets becoming eventual "Gold Box" deals on Amazon over Christmas.

Criterion took most of my money this month, I'll keep waiting.

Shame in this day and age that the studios still can't get the packaging right.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Originally Posted by kagemusha98 /t/321170/tcfhe-press-release-forever-marilyn-the-blu-ray-collection/30#post_3956185

Huge letdown. I think if FOX could have thrown the discs in a ZIP lock bag for $69.99 they would have. There is NO excuse for creating such a shoddy supposed BOX SET. These Films Deserved Better!

[SIZE= 10px]I called Fox Connect Customer Service and was nice, but I said I have to complain about this box set. I let them know I ordered it from amazon at a pre-order price of $69.99 and I was debating on returning it for a full refund to Amazon. After he told me to contact amazon I let him know I was complaining about the BOX SET to lodge the complaint. That I'm not the only one and that I can buy the 5 new titles locally to WalMart for $10.00 Each. he took my e-mail and forwarded it to I would assume someone else higher up. The least FOX can do is send out each individual title BLU case to those not happy. [/SIZE]

Complain to FOX 888-223-4369

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by kagemusha98 /t/321170/tcfhe-press-release-forever-marilyn-the-blu-ray-collection/30#post_3956185
...and there is no mention anywhere of the contents on the discs!

This seems to be more and more common. You're lucky to get a blurb that says "Making of Featurette and more!" on the packaging these days. Another peeve of mine!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thank You Thank You Thank You!!!!!!!!! Ron for giving us the heads up on the price drop on The Seven Year Itch at Amazon and all HTF members who shared todays info. I just ran to my local Walmart and there they all were 10 bucks. I bought them all ran back but not in time to cancel my shipment from Amazon which i had put in the fast track for Thrusday. Amazon is great about things like this. I will get all my money back plus shipping. Refuse the item when it arrives or if indeed it does come from UPS call them when I get the email and they can stop it some how. Just give us a call was the response. I even let the order for an extra Seven Year Itch stand at Amazon. I could buy an extra at Walmart but what the heck i have the movie now.
I love this about the forum sharing info. I have been pulled out of bad deals in the past and alerts for recalls which I knew nothing about just because of all the good people here at HTF!!
Thank You Ron and all the good members of HTF!

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
Here is a pic of my set. I want to return it to amazon but I called my local WalMart and of course they can't find the BLUs on their shelves at all. So annoyed. I will keep my mouth shut about them since I don't have anything nice to say.

8d49667d_Mar2.jpeg

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Jack, hey I am very sorry. Perhaps there was a delay. Can you phone another Walmart a bit further from you. Here every town has them with in 20 miles or so. The Walmart here had a special spot with many copies. The Seven Year Itch is the only one that has special extras which were on AMC and others more recent. The rest have the trailers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks