TCFHE Press Release: Fargo (4k Remastered Blu-ray)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Mar 5, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    img1.jpg

Fargo
    The “middle of nowhere” has never looked better in this new edition, now remastered for the best high-definition picture yet! In this film Nominated for seven OSCARS®, * things go terribly awry when small-time Minnesota car salesman Jerry Lundegaard (William H. Macy) hires two thugs (Steve Buscemi and Peter Stormare) to kidnap his wife so he can collect the ransom from his wealthy father-in-law. Once people start dying, the very chipper and very pregnant Police Chief Marge (Frances McDormand) takes the case. Will she stop at nothing until she gets her man? You betcha.
    Special Features ● Feature Audio Commentary with Director of Photography Roger A. Deakins ● Minnesota Nice ● Trivia Track ● American Cinematographer Article ● Photo Gallery ● Theatrical Trailer ● TV Spot
    Fargo Blu-ray
    Street Date: April 1, 2014 Prebook Date: March 5, 2014 Screen Format: Widescreen 1.85:1 Audio: English DTS-HD MA 5.1 Spanish DTS 5.1 French DTS 5.1 Subtitles: English/Spanish/French U.S. Rating: R Total Run Time: 140 minutes Closed Captioned: Yes

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

amzn_assoc_ad_type = "product_link"; amzn_assoc_tracking_id = "homethea02-20"; amzn_assoc_marketplace = "amazon"; amzn_assoc_region = "US"; amzn_assoc_placement = "B00HZN8S9U"; amzn_assoc_asins = "B00HZN8S9U"; amzn_assoc_show_border = true; amzn_assoc_link_opens_in_new_window = true;

2. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    I am still at odds whether I am going to do an upgrade or not.

I own the original Blu-ray release, which as of today, can be purchased
    for under $6 from Amazon.

Don't know how much better this remastered release can be.

Still thinking about pulling the trigger on a repurchase.

3. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    To me it depends on how much you like this film and how often you'll watch it. It's not one of my favorites so the original BD release is good enough for me.

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I still have the DVD, saw no reason to get the BD.

5. Mark VH

Mark VH Stunt Coordinator

Curious as to why? It's one of the most beautiful films from arguably the greatest living cinematographer, so seeing it in high-def seems like more than enough of a reason to upgrade to the BD, especially at the ridiculously low price Amazon is offering it for. Unless for some reason you don't care that much for the film?

Mark Walker likes this.
  6. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I like movie. I'll just never fire up my projector for it. The biggest screen I've watched it on Is a Hitachi 50" ALiS.

7. battlebeast

battlebeast Screenwriter

Warren
    I have the Blu Ray, so this new Blu Ray, with no new Bonus features, is not worth the expense to me. If there were new Bonus Features, I would double dip.

8. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Oh yeah, I see the Charlie Rose bit is still not here(another reason I'm satisfied with the DVD)

9. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    The old release of Fargo was edge enhanced and had some halo's clearly visible on many of the outside snow scenes, it actually doesn't look film like, it looks digital and a new 4K film scan and encode will improve on the old release, of that i am sure,

Mark Walker likes this.
  10. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    People often tell me they cannot see the edge halo's on certain releases, well here you go folks, look at this closely, it's very obvious, the new re-master of Fargo is a huge improvement over the old one, much, much better release. Link below.

Take note of the over sharpened film grain and harshness of the original, just because you see grain doesn't mean it's good.

http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/multi_comparison.php?disc1=3868&disc2=3870&cap1=35891&cap2=35883&art=full&image=8&hd_multiID=1602&action=1&lossless=#vergleich

11. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Picked this up for $6 in the FoxConnect 50% off sale (along with the new ROCKY). I won't get it for a month, but hey, for the price of a pint, I'm not complaining.

12. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I prefer not to as ignorance is bliss. I don't want to watch any disc and have to think about PQ issues on it if I don't take notice of such issues. I rather concentrate on the film itself.

13. Michel_Hafner

Michel_Hafner Screenwriter

Usually one takes notice automatically of image properties if one cares about cinema. It comes with the territory since cinema is images (and sound). And the different image properties of different films are part of what makes films different from one another. Given that, even when one has not seen thousands of films, the look of films (meaning the range of what films look like) becomes apparent over time. And what they don't look like as well (due to digital distortions on video formats). It's simply part of being a cinephile with normal vision. As much as I hate not to concentrate on a film when watching it, cases like Fargo force me to take notice that they look wrong. The sharpening is anything but subtle and has changed the whole texture of the film considerably. Your statement would be typical for an average consumer of films as entertainment. Coming from a moderator of a website catering for home cinema and cinephiles it's odd.

Jeffrey Nelson likes this.
  14. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

^ I understand what you're saying but at the same time, why would anyone want to notice something that will only lessen their enjoyment of watching a movie? It's not like noticing edge enhancement or other flaws will make the studios stop applying it so, as he said, ignorance is bliss. I'm the only person that I know in the real world that finds a DVD and streaming Netflix HD hard to watch and I somewhat envy the people that have no clue and can just enjoy the movie.

15. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    You don't want to see these things but they can be there and if home cinema is your hobby then you tend to learn about these things, especially if you are a member of a forum like this, that is why i don't understand when people say they don't notice these things, with television sets becoming larger it would stick out like a sore thumb, on a projection screen it sure does.

Even if you don't know what it is, how can you not notice halo's around objects and people, that pulls you right out of the movie.

16. Reggie W

Reggie W Cinematographer

Gregory Arkadin
    I was waiting on some reviews for this one and so far the reviews seem to indicate this new disc is an upgrade. I have the old blu-ray, being a big fan of the brothers Coen, and watched it recently. I thought it looked decent but that there was room for improvement. Curious to see the new disc but there has been such a flood of releases lately that I'm interested in (four westerns this past week) that the double dip on this could wait. Fargo is not my favorite Coen film, that spot is held by No Country for Old Men...followed closely by Miller's Crossing...but it is an important film in their canon and a very good one featuring a slew of great comic performances.

17. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I get what you're saying but I still understand why someone else isn't interested in spotting those flaws. For what it's worth, I notice edge enhancement and sharpening although I'd guess I spot it much less than others here.

18. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I care about being entertained by movies as I think some of us get lost by our devotion to this hobby and forget about why we love movies as entertainment.

19. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I spot some of these flaws too, but not to the degree as some people.

20. Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein Filmmaker

T R Wilkinson
    Theres a difference between spotting the flaws and not being able to tune them out.

Mark Walker likes this.