TCFHE Press Release: An Affair To Remember 2-Disc Anniversary Edition

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    REMEMBER THE MAGIC WITH THE 50TH ANNIVERSARY TRIBUTE TO ONE OF THE MOST ROMANTIC FILM OF ALL TIME

AN AFFAIR TO REMEMBER

The Four-Time Academy Award® Nominated Movie Sails Onto Two-Disc Anniversary Edition DVD January 15 From Fox Home Entertainment Including New Digitally-Transferred Feature, Multiple Featurettes, Historical Footage, And More

“A True Achievement In Filmmaking.”
    Los Angeles Times

CENTURY CITY, Calif. (October 31, 2007) – Celebrate the Golden Anniversary of the multi-Academy Award® nominated film An Affair To Remember, arriving as a two-disc anniversary edition DVD January 15th from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. Noted as one of the most romantic film of all time, An Affair To Remember stars multiple Oscar-nominated movie legends Cary Grant* (Penny Serenade, None But The Lonely Heart) and Deborah Kerr** (From Here To Eternity, The King And I) in this timeless expression of true love’s triumph against all odds. When a jet-setting playboy unexpectedly meets a beautiful ex-lounge singer, love blossoms between the two despite being engaged to other people. They arrange to meet in six months on the 102nd floor of the Empire State Building to decide if they’re actually meant for each other. When an unfortunate accident prevents the meeting and the future of the star-crossed lovers seems doomed. Directed by three-time Oscar-winning director Leo McCarey, and nominated for four Academy Awards including Best Cinematography, Best Costume, Best Music, Original Song and Best Music, Scoring, An Affair To Remember is a lasting tribute to the glorious Hollywood of days past and a classic treasure to share with present and future generations. In loving memory of Deborah Kerr, who recently passed away, the special 50th anniversary edition of the beloved film honors one of the great actresses of her generation, who was cited by the Academy for a film career that always represented “Perfection, Discipline, and Elegance.”

In addition to a new digital transfer of the feature film, the An Affair To Remember 50th Anniversary Edition DVD features commentary by vocalist Marni Nixon and film historian Joseph McBride, featurettes focused on the major players of the film including Kerr, Grant, McCarey and producer Jerry Wald as well as a look at the production, the backstory and more. The two-disc DVD is available for the suggested retail price of $19.98U.S./$25.98Canada. Prebook is December 12, 2007.

Synopsis
    In this poignant and humorous love story, Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr meet on an ocean liner and fall deeply in love. Though each is engaged to someone else, they agree to meet six months later at the Empire State Building if they still feel the same way about each other. But a tragic accident prevents their rendezvous and the lovers’ future taken an emotional and uncertain turn.

Marketing
    Fox Home Entertainment will support the DVD release of the An Affair To Remember DVD Collection with a multi-media campaign including broadcast, print, radio, online and publicity support.

DVD Special Features
    The An Affair To Remember Anniversary Edition two-disc DVD is presented in widescreen format (2.35:1 aspect ratio) and features English and French Stereo with Spanish Mono plus English and Spanish subtitles. Individual disc content includes:

Disc 1:
    o Widescreen Feature – New Digital Transfer
    o Commentary By Singer Marni Nixon & Film Historian Joseph McBride

Disc 2:
    o Affairs to Remember: Deborah Kerr
    o Affairs to Remember: Cary Grant
    o Directed by Leo McCarey
    o A Producer to Remember: Jerry Wald
    o The Look of An Affair To Remember
    o AMC Backstory: An Affair To Remember
    o “Fox Movietonews: An Affair to Remember Shipboard Premiere Attracts Celebrities”
    o Trailer
    o Poster Gallery
    o Still Gallery
    o Shipboard Premiere Attracts Celebrities

Movietone News:
    o Trailer
    o Poster Gallery
    o Photo Gallery

An Affair To Remember
    Suggested Retail Price: $19.98 U.S.
    Catalog Number: 2248799
    Street Date: January 15, 2008
    Prebook: December 12, 2008
    Rating: NR
    Total Run Time: NR
    Screen Format: Widescreen
    Subtitles: English/Spanish
    Closed Captioned: Yes

2. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

Congratulations Fox !!!

Affaair was released on Laserdisc with poor picture but great sound.

Affair has already been released TWICE with very poor 2.0 mixdown and now it looks like we are getting the same bad 2.0 mixdown!! When can we possbly get the original 4.0 sound. When you reissue this a fourth time????

3. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Maybe the original four-track masters were lost- it happens. A great deal of films released from that time period have lost their original stereo tracks- I believe this is the case with Auntie Mame, among others.

4. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I don't see much of a reason for a double-dip here.

Who owns the original materials for the original "Love Affair" with Charles Boyer & Irene Dunne? A double feature with the original and the remake may have pushed me over the top.

5. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

Since I had the laser disc, I never updated to the DVD. I will purchase this DVD; however when I read it was being updated I too hoped they would have included Love Affair.

6. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Cinematographer

Joel Henderson
    And even more recent than that. Fox can't even find the original 4-track master of Poseidon Adventure!

7. ChrisPearson

ChrisPearson Second Unit

According to imdb Love Affair was an RKO production. However, general practise in those days was for production companies remaking a film to buy the rights to the original from the original copyright holder, so it may be a Fox property now. It's a bad oversight if Fox could have included Love Affair here and didn't.

8. Eric Peterson

Since Public domain copies exist, I have a feeling that Fox bought the rights to remake this film, but failed to renew them. WB probably owns the original materials, but has little motivation to release because of the multiple PD versions.

It's a shame because I consider the original to be on par with the remake.

9. David Grove

David Grove Stunt Coordinator

Might anyone have any thoughts on which is the best PD release?

Thank you.

DG

10. Eric Peterson

I'm not sure which is best, so I was reading some reviews on Amazon. It appears that you want to stay away from the Madacy edition for sure. Then I clicked on a different copy and found that it was a free download. I download the file in a DRM protected WMA file (1.6 GB) and it did not cost me one red cent.

That's certainly a good option if you don't mind watching the movie on your computer.

11. David Grove

David Grove Stunt Coordinator

I found the Amazon download site. Thank you.

DG

12. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

But can you burn it onto a blank DVD?

13. Eric Peterson

I don't think so, but I was going to give it a try. Since this is public domain, I would not doubt if there is some place on the internet that you can download a DRM free version.