What's new

TCFHE is the MOST Greedy label when it comes to classic TV. (1 Viewer)

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
David Rain said:
How dare companies want to make money. What is this? America?
I can understand the frustration with companies like Fox and Sony not licensing out titles and leaving a lot of one and dones for unknown reasons.

But then people go around the bend, and dial the rhetoric up to 11 and we get conspiracies and corrupt organizations and greedy corporate misers rubbing their hands together with glee at the thought of depriving poor, Oliver Twist-like fans of a box set of their favorite show, and I immediately lose all sympathy for the "fans" whose every comment is about the conspiracies and corruption and things of that outlandish nature.

Because as you said... it's a business. If a follow-up set of something was never released, odds are someone saw a ledger, saw how much was being made, and figured they either didn't make enough on a set to justify releasing further sets, or thought they could make more on a licensing deal and tried to go for it and the company licensing the property couldn't pay it, or something similar. That's it. No conspiracies, no corruption, just dollars and cents. That's it. These companies aren't releasing these sets to make people happy, they're doing it because they think they can make a profit on it. If a consumer winds up happy, to the companies, that's a nice byproduct. But all they care about is the bottom line and profit and loss.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
You are right but as one fan stated just about 2 weeks ago why buy Peyton Place if they are not going to get it all. I think that is how most fans think. The 2 volume release would have made more money for Shout but Fox did not want to give Peyton Place to Shout at the same price or even for less money back in 2009.

I think you will see more series come out this year and that things are better at Fox.

Peyton Place is unique because you have to have all the episodes so that puts a strike against it because people want it all. That is why I keep saying put Peyton Place out MOD in a limited edition. The other series I think will be finished 1 volume at a time or with a complete series release.

I really have high hopes for all the unfinished series that Fox and Shout put out together and did not finish.

Peyton Place I think Fox would have to almost give it away to Shout before Shout would consider a limited edition series release. I just hope they can come to terms if Fox wants to release it back to Shout.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mark Collins said:
You are right but as one fan stated just about 2 weeks ago why buy Peyton Place if they are not going to get it all. I think that is how most fans think. The 2 volume release would have made more money for Shout but Fox did not want to give Peyton Place to Shout at the same price or even for less money back in 2009.

I think you will see more series come out this year and that things are better at Fox.

Peyton Place is unique because you have to have all the episodes so that puts a strike against it because people want it all. That is why I keep saying put Peyton Place out MOD in a limited edition. The other series I think will be finished 1 volume at a time or with a complete series release.

I really have high hopes for all the unfinished series that Fox and Shout put out together and did not finish.

Peyton Place I think Fox would have to almost give it away to Shout before Shout would consider a limited edition series release. I just hope they can come to terms if Fox wants to release it back to Shout.
Peyton Place came out at an unfortunate time. IIRC, Complete Series releases before separate sets hadn't come into vogue yet. In fact, I don't recall the first one of those coming until 2010 when it was Fox who released Ally McBeal complete, then released the single sets.

Now, Peyton Place would probably get a big complete set, then be split up into single release chunks later on. But in '09 that just wasn't happening yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks