What's new

3D TCFHE Announcement: i, Robot (3D Blu-ray) (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
de3a992c_product_box_download_irobot_3d.jpeg

http://www.amazon.com/I-Robot-Blu-ray-3D-Combo/dp/B008NEMN0K/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344978506&sr=8-1&keywords=irobot+blu-ray+3d

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]BLU-RAY / DVD RELEASE DATE:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]October 23, 2012[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]RELEASE DATE:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]2004[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]MPAA RATING:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]PG-13[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]for intense stylized action, and some brief partial nudity[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]FORMATS:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Blu-ray 3D Combo[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]AUDIO:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]English 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, French 5.1 DTS, Spanish 5.1 DTS[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]LANGUAGE:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]English, Spanish, French[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]ASPECT RATIO:[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Widescreen: 1.78:1, Widescreen: 2.35:1[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]ARP (AVERAGE RETAIL PRICE):[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]BD 3D Combo: $35.99[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)] [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]SYNOPSIS[/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)] [/COLOR][COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]SPECIAL FEATURES[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]I, Robot 3D
In the year 2035, technology and robots are a trusted part of everyday life. But that trust is broken when a scientist is found dead and a skeptical detective (Smith) believes that a robot is responsible. Bridget Moynahan co-stars in this high-tech action thriller that questions whether technology will ultimately lead to mankind's salvation . . . or annihilation.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Episodes-Bonus Features: English[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]Disc 1: Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray 2D[/COLOR]
Disc 2: DVD

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
I picked up "I, Robot" on Blu-ray 3D today. I do not know what possessed them to put both the 3D and 2D versions of the movie on the same disc. The Blu-ray 2D version of the movie already exists, so why not just include the already pressed discs and leave the 3D version of the movie on a disc by itself LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. I sure hope this isn't the shape of things to come from Fox.
EDIT: I guess it is. They did the same to Avatar.
:confused:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Mike,

Let us know the quality of the 3D presentation.

I abhor Will Smith movies but I am a sucker for
anything that looks above average in 3D.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Mike Williams said:
I picked up "I, Robot" on Blu-ray 3D today. I do not know what possessed them to put both the 3D and 2D versions of the movie on the same disc. The Blu-ray 2D version of the movie already exists, so why not just include the already pressed discs and leave the 3D version of the movie on a disc by itself LIKE EVERYONE ELSE.
What would be the advantage of doing this? The 2D version is just one of the two "eye" images from the 3D version, isn't it? So there isn't really anything "extra" on the disc to eat up disc space or anything. I remember when Blu-ray 3D was initially in the works, that it was advertised as being backwards-compatible with 2D players and displays, such that any Blu-ray 3D could be watched in 2D. I've never understood why so many 3D releases include a 2D version on a separate disc. Isn't that wasteful? Why is it so often done that way? What am I missing?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
cafink said:
What would be the advantage of doing this? The 2D version is just one of the two "eye" images from the 3D version, isn't it? So there isn't really anything "extra" on the disc to eat up disc space or anything. I remember when Blu-ray 3D was initially in the works, that it was advertised as being backwards-compatible with 2D players and displays, such that any Blu-ray 3D could be watched in 2D. I've never understood why so many 3D releases include a 2D version on a separate disc. Isn't that wasteful? Why is it so often done that way? What am I missing?
I'm just guessing, but maybe some 2D only players might have trouble extracting extracting the 2D version?
Maybe this is the future of 3D. The UK Creature disc in the Monster set is just a single disk also.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
This is hardly the start of a trend. Just off the top of my head from my meager 3D collection, Drive Angry (Sony?) and Underworld: Awakening (Universal?) both do this.

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barrie Quinn
I recall that Disney stated that the reason for providing a separate 2D disc would be in cases where the single eye view is noticeably different from the 2D version of the movie.

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Mike Williams said:
I picked up "I, Robot" on Blu-ray 3D today. I do not know what possessed them to put both the 3D and 2D versions of the movie on the same disc. The Blu-ray 2D version of the movie already exists, so why not just include the already pressed discs and leave the 3D version of the movie on a disc by itself LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. I sure hope this isn't the shape of things to come from Fox.
EDIT: I guess it is. They did the same to Avatar.
:confused:
But what I don't get is the two different aspect ratios in the press release. Is the BD 2D version 1.77:1 just as the 3D version is, or are there two separate encodes on the same disc? I'm hoping the 2.35:1 refers to the DVD version.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
BJQ1972 said:
I recall that Disney stated that the reason for providing a separate 2D disc would be in cases where the single eye view is noticeably different from the 2D version of the movie.
Why would that be? Isn't the 2D version one of the two films that make up the 3D version?

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
The two different aspect ratios must be a typo. Both the 3D and 2D Blu-ray versions are 1.78, as is the previous Blu-ray Extended Edition. On the Extended Edition, the bitrate for the opening few minutes often bounces around in the high 30s, even going as high as 41.4 and rarely dipping below 24. That same area on the 3D and 2D versions on the same disc usually peaks in the low 20s and even dips as low as 10 at times.
While I have to say, the 3D presentation is quite stunning, it does make me wonder what could have been if they had used the entire alloted space for the 3D presentation only instead of trying to put two three-hour movies on the same side of a BD50. Perhaps there is something about the process I don't know, and the 2D version is simply one eye of the 3D presentation, so not extra space is used. If true, though, why the much lower bitrate for a movie that is 16 minutes shorter than the Extended Version? Does anyone know more about the actual process?
Ronald, regarding "I, Robot," I haven't had a chance to look at more than the first ten minutes or so, but it looks like precisely what it is: a 3D Conversion. It's not bad by any means, but it's not on the level of "Titanic." At times it has that cardboard cut out quality, and other times it just doesn't look 3D at all. There are lots of scenes with a lot of fast motion, and since 3D has always had a hard time with that, those scenes hurt my eyes.

BJQ1972

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barrie Quinn
Johnny Angell said:
Why would that be? Isn't the 2D version one of the two films that make up the 3D version?
You would think it would be, although I assumed the difference must be some sort of shift in perspective.
Now I think about it, it is possibly for those 3D films where the black bars at the side seem to shift constantly throughout the movie - like Disney's Christmas Carol.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Quote:
[COLOR= rgb(69, 68, 52)]Ronald, regarding "I, Robot," I haven't had a chance to look at more than the first ten minutes or so, but it looks like precisely what it is: a 3D Conversion. It's not bad by any means, but it's not on the level of "Titanic." At times it has that cardboard cut out quality, and other times it just doesn't look 3D at all. There are lots of scenes with a lot of fast motion, and since 3D has always had a hard time with that, those scenes hurt my eyes.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(69, 68, 52)]Thanks, Mike. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= rgb(69, 68, 52)]Looks like I will be passing on this.[/COLOR]

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Mike Williams said:
Both the 3D and 2D Blu-ray versions are 1.78, as is the previous Blu-ray Extended Edition. On the Extended Edition, the bitrate for the opening few minutes often bounces around in the high 30s, even going as high as 41.4 and rarely dipping below 24.
I am unaware of an "Extended Edition" BD of this film. Please elaborate. Is this an import disc, and if so, is it region-free? All I have (and have seen) is the 2008 U.S. release. Thank you.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Anyone check this out yet?
I grabbed it on a whim on Tuesday -- at times the conversion effects were decent, but too often it had that look of "we're not even trying in this scene" that the Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 1 conversion had. All in all, it was fun to see the movie again but the 3D effects did not impress (and the bar was set pretty low in my head, I wasn't expecting "Titanic" quality conversion here).

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
It's weird that a 3D conversion like this has better 3D than a film like "The Amazing Spiderman" which was actually filmed that way.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Reed Grele said:
It's weird that a 3D conversion like this has better 3D than a film like "The Amazing Spiderman" which was actually filmed that way.
Not according to the reviews I have read at bluray.com and here. I was going to pick it up but will now wait for a sale.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Johnny Angell said:
Here is a hypothetical example. Lets say that a studio takes a 3D effect like a laser bolt jumping out of a 2.35:1 film and places it in the "letterbox area" on a 16x9 set. If you were watching the 2D (one eye) version, you would still see that laser bolt on the black bar which would look odd. Correctly authored 3D Blu-rays should play fine in 2D. I bet the reason most 3D Blu-ray releases have an extra disc is to make it a 2/3/4 disc set to help justify the price premium. In other words its about marketing, not compatibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks