What's new

Taxi Driver SB...!?!?!?!? (1 Viewer)

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Sorry, haven't been able to compare these yet. Got my new PJ in but discovered my iScan is not working. It's off to get repaired. I can post screenshots if you want.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I don't know... how's about the classic mirror scene... or any night cab scenes?

Pick whatever would best represent optimal pq on the transfer!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Check those early shots of Travis cruising the streets in the cab with all the deep blacks, shadow detail, potential-for-bleeding neon, and clouds of steam. And maybe check the first scenes in Sen. Whatsizname's campaign headquarters for daytime shots.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
And I just got maybe scammed on Ebay. I gotthe Jurassic Park Superbit collection here.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=6428618478

which say clearly R2 official sealed versions. I even emailed the guy to check and he assured me. He had good feedback and I thought I got a steal. Well, lo and behold they were bootlegs. I own a couple of genuine japanese Suprebits and the difference in the labeling and packaging is clearly apparent. The covers are clearly obviously made on cheap paper with a cheap ink cartridge type printer. There are NO inserts as seen on the genuine Close Encounters R2 SB. If you compare you will clearly see the difference. There are size differences in the logos on the sides of the DVDs. And the cincher? They are not Region 2 coded. That's how I knew for sure. I have one player in my house that is region free and one that is not. When I put my other R2 discs in my old player, a warning comes on screen stating that my player can't play this disc because of a region error. Not so with the Jurassic Park discs. They play straightaway meaning that they are NOT coded for R2 meaning that they are not the genuine japanese discs which are quite valuable and desirable. So I'm pissed BUT they are definitely boots of the genuine SBs... and the PQ and audio is much better than my R1 original copy so I guess I'll keep them. Sending them back to Australia even if the guy accepted them back would be annoying.

grrrr....

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator
Well the little "9" logo in the lower right corner should have made some warning bells go off.
That was the first thing i noticed.
Also getting this for 61 aus$ is too good to be true.

Cheers
Maggi

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yep you are right, but he had 100% feedback and I checked his other auctions and they all REALLY looked legit and I took him at his word thinking that I was getting the deal of the century. I watched JPIII tonite and it looked and sounded excellent. Whoever duped them did a damn good job without any apparent bit-loss. A perfect uncompressed digital copy it would seem, (and I have a 92" screen and A/B'ing with my original R1 copy, these look WAY better) with warnings, menus, subs, DD and DTS etc... Not that I'm advocating boots in any way, shape or form but it does take the sting out of being "taken" that at least they look good as I don't think I'll ever get recompensed. I have emailed him re: this and have gotten no reply. If he does, I bet he'll just act all ignorant.

:) d

BTW, how is living in Iceland? It looks beautiful from what I've seen on the tele.

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator
Dave it´s bad that they cheated you with these boots.
I have been tempted to get me the Taxi Driver Superbit for quite some time now.:D

btw
Living here in Iceland is great:emoji_thumbsup:
Thanx

Cheers
Maggi

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
There is no dcoumentary on the R2J Superbit edition. It is a single disc release. If you bought a two disc version, like the ebay link posted above, then it's a bootleg.

ChristianLiemke

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Liemke
@Mark_Wilson:

Which version of PowerDVD do you used for making the screencaptures? What were your color-settings? The SuperBit captures are very yellow in comparison to my German RC2 Collector's Edition. In some scenes the SuperBit is heavily cropped on the right side.

Can I use your screenshots for a comparison with my Collector's Edition at my own DVD-Forum? I will link to the screenshots here, too.

I used PowerDVD 4.0 XP, color setting "Original":

Japan | RC2 SuperBit

Germany | RC2 Collector's Edition

Japan | RC2 SuperBit

Germany | RC2 Collector's Edition

Maggi Magg

Stunt Coordinator
Well i finally gave in and got this from cdjapan.
This is a nice release and the special bonus is a mono soundtrack included alongside the DD and DTS soundtracks.
I have not watched it all only sampled it, and it sounded sweet although its very front oriented.(in the scenes i sampled)

Cheers
Maggi

Marty Lockstead

Second Unit
Hey Mark,
Would you mind comparing the pq on the sb vs the R1 during the last 15 minutes or so? This is where I'm wondering if the SB has been color corrected to make the blood look more red and not washed out as it does on the R1. Apparently this was done at the time so the film would earn an "R" rating.
Thanks alot.:)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
MAN, I should've gotten this last year when I had the chance. Now I can't find it anywhwere!

:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.