What's new

Taxi Driver SB...!?!?!?!? (1 Viewer)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Question...
Unlike certain Japanese SB's, this film is Columbia, so why no R1 SB? Surely there's more interest here than Japan for this flick, no?
Before I drop alot of coin for a dvd that might have nominal improvement, how do we know there won't be a future R1 release? Especially since Columbia (Sony) is KNOWN for triple/quadruple dipping?

greg_t

Screenwriter
Are you sure it's full bitrate DTS? I have it but always assumed it was half like the other superbits.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
So, is there a 2 disc asian superbit out there? Ebay currently has one but since it is Region Free and not R2, makes me wonder. Are there actually Chinese official Superbits like all these Jurassic Park Trilogy ones on ebay?

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
There are a few two disc R2J and R3K Superbits. There are no legit Chinese Superbit releases. A few off the top of my head: (I assume you don't mean SB Deluxe)

R2J Close Encounters
R2J Passion of Joan of Arc (?)
R1-3 Lawerence of Arabia
R3K Bridge on the River Kwai

There may be one more R2J I'm forgetting.

I've been meaning to setup a page detailing all of the Superbit releases, as I own almost all of them. Just haven't had the time.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
If it's 'all region' I'd say it's bogus. So far every R2J Superbit has been coded as Region 2. Some of the Korean Superbits are dual coded for Regions 1 & 3.

For example the Korean Superbit deluxe of Blackhawk Down is R1 & R3 as is MIB2. However, MIB is only R3.

Feel free to email or pm me with other questions.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I figured they were. Interesting that the TAXI DRIVER bogus SB bothered to get all that photo material...

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter

Does it? No. Did it? Yes. Sony had the rights in R2J for some of the Universal films, Mummy Returns is another that comes to mind, as well as Gladiator. I think they were only for sale for one year and then went Out of Print. I own several copies of each that I purchased from Amazon.co.jp at the time.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I received my japanese SB of Close Encounters and am very pleased. How does "Taxi Driver" look? Any comparisons?

:) d

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I can't believ e we still don't have a revfiew of this title along with On The Waterfront or Easy Rider!!!

Hasn't anyone picked any of these up??

I NEED to know what the a/v is like, it's killing me!!!

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
I've got Taxi Driver and Easy Rider. I didn't pick up On the Waterfront or the other title that came out with it. What did you want to know? I never had the R1 of Easy Rider so it's tough to compare. The SB version looked excellent. Only watched the first few minutes of Taxi Driver. Still print damage in the intro/titles. But looks very good once the beginning titles/credits are over. I have the R1 SE but have never watched it. If there are specific scenes I can compare them. Sorry I'm not much of a reviewer.

Mark_Wilson

Screenwriter
Don't know yet. My PJ was damaged and my new one SHOULD be here this weekend. I'll compare it to the R1.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Mark! Looking forward to your comparison! I have my finger on the trigger with this one.

:) dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.