What's new

TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA Re-Rated R! (1 Viewer)

AlanBrom

Second Unit
I had read a while back on DVD Drive-In that Warner's upcoming DVD of TASTE THE BLOOD OF DRACULA would be the unedited version, never before seen on home video. This was exciting news since I've only seen the "GP" version in the theaters and on the dissapointing VHS release from the early 1990's. Not only is the film four minutes longer now, but according to the IMDB, the MPAA has given it a new rating:

"MPAA: Rated R for sexual content/nudity and brief violence. (2004 re-rating)"

By the way, Hammer's FRANKENSTEIN MUST BE DESTROYED has also been re-rated, but I believe the previous VHS version is as restored as possible and will be the same content-wise on DVD:

"MPAA: Rated PG-13 for violence and horror images. (2004 re-rating)"

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
What is the point of having these re-rated? It's just an unnecessary expense to the studio which has to pay a fee to the MPAA to have them screened and rated. There are a lot of unrated films in the marketplace to it seems like wasted money to me.

And, no, it can't have anything to do with being stocked in Wal-Mart or Blockbuster as both retailers currently have unrated films on their shelves.

AlanBrom

Second Unit
I think MGM had a problem with COUNTESS DRACULA. The DVD originally carried a "PG" rating which was the original rating attached to the edited U.S. theatrical release. Their transfer is actually the uncut British version, so the disc's packaging now has "unrated" as retailers reportedly complained. Perhaps Warner didn't want to go through the same aggrevation? But it does seem that the longer version of TASTE deserves an "R."

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
It seems that old movies are getting re-rated more and more as unedited versions appear on DVD or the movie appears the first time on DVD.

I would like to see that Dracula movie on DVD (I love those old Hammer Horror movies).

Be Seeing You,
David Blackwell

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I am thrilled the uncut version of TASTE is hitting DVD. I've got it on VHS (from an old uncut BBC showing) and the little bit(s) of extra footage makes a big difference!

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Is Taste The Blood Of Dracula good? I can't remember - it's been years since I saw it on TV.

1.78:1 anamorphic transfer? Or 1.66:1 non-anamorphic?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

1st it depends on how much you like Hammer films then it depends on how much you like their Dracula series. Since I'm a big fan of both than the answer is an easy; yes its real good. It happens to be my favorite in the Hammer Dracula series and I have been dying to see it uncut for years.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
I love (Horror of) Dracula (1958). Brilliant score, great performances and it has tremendous energy.

In general, I like Hammer films, but I don't think I'll be spending money on them anymore. I loved sneakily watching them on late-night-TV as a kid, but so many of them are lacklustre in retrospect that I always have to check which ones are which when it comes to the Dracula films so as to not be disappointed.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Here's a good one. I just watched the anamorphic "Rasputin the Mad Monk" with Chris Lee on a Mit 65711 16x9 and the opening credits start off in 2.10:1 (w/black bars) and then shifts to 1.66:1 - 1.85:1 (it's hard to tell which OAR when those 3 fill the screen) for the movie portion.

It says on the back that it's in its original 2.10:1 but only the opening credits...?

I've never seen this done but I hear that's what will happen with "Brother Bear." :D

Brett C

Second Unit
Huge Hammer fan, Can't wait for this and the other two titles, Dracula has risen from the grave and Frankenstein must be destroyed, to comeout on April 27th.

My DVD Collection

Jeff_A

Screenwriter

Ditto, Randy! But every Hammer fan knows that Dracula Has Risen From the Grave is the best film in the series. ;)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Hammer Horror Hero's!
OK, is is a test:
Which Dracula film for;
Best Photography?
Best Story?
Best Sex?
Best Action?
Best Effect's?

GO!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese

1. Horror of Dracula
2. Horror of Dracula
3. Scars of Dracula (a sick film, though)
4. Horror of Dracula
5. Horror of Dracula

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Since Warner has a policy of not releasing unrated films (Yes, I know there are exceptions, but that's what they say), if they're going to give us uncut versions, they're going to have to resubmit them for re-rating. Simple as that.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks