What's new

TARZAN Gordon Scott & Mike Henry (1 Viewer)

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
My replacement disc for Greatest Adventure is due on Monday. I'm glad to hear that JeffMc's replacement disc was ok. Hopefully that means that they did fix the problem and mine will be ok too.

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator
My original copy of GREATEST ADVENTURE as well as the duplicate Warners sent me instead of HIDDEN JUNGLE were fine and I had no problem with it when I watched it in it's entirety. My copy of LOST SAFARI however was defective with the same surface defect others reported with their GREATEST ADVENTURE discs and froze during the middle of the movie when I watched it. It played fine after I hadI skipped over the defective part. I will be getting my HIDDEN JUNGLE on Tuesday and hopefully my replacement copy of LOST SAFARI by Friday.

-Claude

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I watched TARZAN & THE TRAPPERS tonight and there were a few places it seemed to momentarily freeze. I don't know if anyone else experienced this or not. Personally, I'm not going to worry about it. IMO, this is the dud of the set. I understand this was meant to be used for a TV show idea and got compiled for a movie. All I can say is don't watch it after HIDDEN JUNGLE because you will recognize a lot of the jungle scenes. Basically, anything that has to do with traveling through the jungle is a repeat. They even stole scenes of tribesmen used in HIDDEN JUNGLE that really didn't even fit in right.

GREATEST ADVENTURE and MAGNIFICENT are obviously the best of the collection. I Liked HIDDEN JUNGLE and LOST SAFARI the next best. FIGHT FOR LIFE was okay, while TRAPPERS I'll probably never watch again.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
My copy of Trappers played fine.I agree that it was by far the weakest movie of the bunch.

As for the freezing, i have had that issue on a couple of other random archive titles. I would try it in a few players and if it freezes in them, just call customer service and they will send you out a replacement with no hassle.At least that's how it's worked for me.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Joe Kelly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you think the Warner Archives will offer the Jock Mahoney and Mike Henry TARZAN movies in the future?
Buy the success of the sales of the Gordon Scott and the Lex Baxter titles, I would bet we would see another group by February. But there is nothing official.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
With the Gordon Scott films now out (Yaaaay!), all that remains for me are the two Jock Mahoney entries, TARZAN GOES TO INDIA (1962) and TARZAN'S THREE CHALLENGES (1963), and the first Mike Henry film, TARZAN AND THE VALLEY OF GOLD (1966, a.k.a. "Tarzan as James Bond"). Henry's subsequent two flicks, TARZAN AND THE GREAT RIVER (1967) and TARZAN AND THE JUNGLE BOY (1968), are lackluster efforts I can easily do without.
Regardless, bring 'em on soon, Warner!

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Just noticed that at the Warner Brothers website, they are offering the 3 Mike Henry TARZAN films and 2 Jock Mahoney TARZAN films for sale, $50 bucks for all 5 DVDs, says they will ship in 7 days. I'm going to order them now, will post again when I receive them.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by ahollis /forum/thread/267621/tarzan-gordon-scott-mike-henry/60#post_3631896
Buy the success of the sales of the Gordon Scott and the Lex Baxter titles, I would bet we would see another group by February. But there is nothing official.
I see I was two months off. Already have them ordered and they are shipped. Should be watching them Monday.

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Just checked the Warner Archives website - If you want only 3 out of the 5 movies, you can get them for $40, free shipping. Or all 5 for $50, free shipping. Looks like all 5 Tarzan movies are widescreen letterbox, the longer versions (not the ones cut up for TV). Mine are expected to arrive tomorrow, Warner Archives has excellent shipping/tracking system. Will post again regarding DVD quality after I view movies.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Joe Kelly /forum/thread/267621/tarzan-gordon-scott-mike-henry/60#post_3685885
Just checked the Warner Archives website - If you want only 3 out of the 5 movies, you can get them for $40, free shipping. Or all 5 for $50, free shipping. Looks like all 5 Tarzan movies are widescreen letterbox, the longer versions (not the ones cut up for TV). Mine are expected to arrive tomorrow, Warner Archives has excellent shipping/tracking system. Will post again regarding DVD quality after I view movies.
You will find that the quality is acceptable. They have not been cleaned up and has scratches and dirt and of course with the use of Metrocolor on some of the films, a little washed out. But this does not hurt the enjoyment of the films. Have fun. Tarzan's Three Challenges is pure fun.

Exeter

Auditioning
Real Name
David
[SIZE= larger]Has anyone noticed that "Tarzan's Three Challenges" is not anamorphically enhanced for widescreen?.....or did I just get a copy that was incorrectly transferred? On my copy, the widescreen image is windowboxed instead of letterboxed.

Anyone?[/SIZE]

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Exeter /forum/thread/267621/tarzan-gordon-scott-mike-henry/90#post_3686140
[SIZE= larger]Has anyone noticed that "Tarzan's Three Challenges" is not anamorphically enhanced for widescreen?.....or did I just get a copy that was incorrectly transferred? On my copy, the widescreen image is windowboxed instead of letterboxed.
Anyone?[/SIZE]
Mine is anamorphic. I watched it last night and and it went side to side.

Exeter

Auditioning
Real Name
David
[SIZE= smaller]Thanks, Allen. I've already called customer service and they've agreed to send me a replacement....though I don't think she really understood what "anamorphically enhanced" meant. I tried hard to explain it.[/SIZE]

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
First 2 Mike Henry TARZAN movies played great, but TARZAN & THE JUNGLE BOY started skipping bad after about 5 minutes - Called Warner Archives customer service and said they'd ship another one. Jock Mahoney TARZAN films played fine, watching the last one now. Quality is not bad and trailers are included with some of the DVDs. The DVD cover art is awesome, reproductions of the old TARZAN movie posters.

Originally Posted by Exeter
Anyone?[/SIZE]
Hmm...my copy IS most definitely anamorphically 16:9 enhanced for widescreen....but there is still a bit of black on the left and right hand edges, as if the frame wasn't zoomed in completely. Thus I guess you could say it is "windowboxed" just a little bit, but it's nothing that's a real issue. Some monitors with varying overscan levels will show more of it than others.

Are you saying your DVD plays in 4:3 "letterbox"? There should be a big difference on a 16:9 set between 4:3 letterbox and a 16:9 transfer that is window-boxed just a little bit.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Andre Dursin
Hmm...my copy IS most definitely anamorphically 16:9 enhanced for widescreen....but there is still a bit of black on the left and right hand edges, as if the frame wasn't zoomed in completely. Thus I guess you could say it is "windowboxed" just a little bit, but it's nothing that's a real issue. Some monitors with varying overscan levels will show more of it than others.

Are you saying your DVD plays in 4:3 "letterbox"? There should be a big difference on a 16:9 set between 4:3 letterbox and a 16:9 transfer that is window-boxed just a little bit.
My copy is anamorphic with out any black bars on the sides. I have checked it out on three players and monitors and all have the picture completely from left to right.

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Warner Archives customer service department is excellent. Called them on a Monday night for a defective disk, and they had a replacement to me by that Friday morning.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Joe Kelly
Warner Archives customer service department is excellent. Called them on a Monday night for a defective disk, and they had a replacement to me by that Friday morning.
I agree with you. I ordered Susan and God and when I recived it, there was not a disk in the case. One call and disc and new case was at my doorstep in two days.

Originally Posted by ahollis

My copy is anamorphic with out any black bars on the sides. I have checked it out on three players and monitors and all have the picture completely from left to right.

My copy is anamorphic as well, but I've seen the disc display slightly windowboxed on one monitor (when I have it in my TV's "Size2" HD crop setting; if I go to "Size1" it fills it out), and displayed entirely left to right on the other. Either way it's not a defective disc, but the way it was transferred, it's entirely possible some people are going to see a bit -- and I stress a BIT -- of black on the sides depending on their monitor's overscan settings.

Either way, there's a big difference between the disc being defective and non-anamorphic, which is what the poster was asking about, with a 16:9 disc that ends up being windowboxed just a tiny bit on certain monitors depending on their overscan. If it's the latter, he's likely going to experience the exact same thing with another copy of the disc. I've seen this DVD play both windowboxed and not, depending on the monitor I'm looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks