What's new

TARZAN Gordon Scott & Mike Henry (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
mdnitoil said:
Assuming no massive change in the market, it seems safe to say that the Lex Barker Tarzans signal that the Gordon Scott ones don't have a prayer of seeing a regular release. That being said, I fully expect them to eventually show up in the Archives.
I certainly could be wrong, but I took this as a sign of just the opposite likely to happen.
Releasing (what is by all account- I haven't seen them) the lesser entries thru the archive program, Warner can maintain a chronological release, while at the same time not having the weaker set eat up a space in their release/production schedule. Fans can still get these if they want them, and Warner can concentrate it's resources on entries that should matter to more people. I can't believe Warner would marginalize Greatest Adventure by only offering it on an interlaced, poorly encoded DVD-R. In fact, I take the Barkers in the archive to mean that the Scotts are coming sooner rather than later-maybe even by the fall.
At least that's what I hope.

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
What is the Warner's archive program? Is this a website? Are the DVDs "regular" DVDs (like you buy in the store?). Would be great to see the Gordon Scott Tarzan movies on DVD finally - and hopefully Mike Henry's too.

Thanks, Joe Kelly

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Joe Kelly said:
What is the Warner's archive program? Is this a website? Are the DVDs "regular" DVDs (like you buy in the store?). Would be great to see the Gordon Scott Tarzan movies on DVD finally - and hopefully Mike Henry's too.
Thanks, Joe Kelly
Have a trawl through the (enormous number of) posts in this thread.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
While I'm not a big fan of buying DVD-R's through the archive program, even less so based on the standard price they are charging. However, I took a chance on the Barker's figuring it was the only way to get them and based on being able to buy the collection and using a coupon that worked out to a $8 cost per movie instead of between $15 - $20 a movie.

I've only watched one so far but I have to say the quality was better then expected. For absolutely no extra processing it appeared as good as the previously released Weismuller collections. This based on watching on a 92" screen.

While I would hope for a standard release for the Scott/Henry movies, based on the quality of the Barker releases, I would go the archive route again if released that way and full collection discounts are provided. Hopefully, Warner is seeing a benefit to releasing the remaining movies soon.

Does Warner own the rights to the Tarzan TV show w/Ron Ely as well?

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator
I thought it was time to reactivate this thread now that the Gordon Scott Tarzan films are available at the Warner Brothers Archives. I have ordered all six movies and can hardly wait to receive them. The preview clips I had seen at the Archive site of all six movies look fantastic and I can finally retire all of the tapes I recorded when AMC aired the films many years ago. I understand the movies will be in their original 1:85 aspect ratio and will be anamorphic 16X9 enhanced. The movies should all look great up converted by my Blu Ray player when I watch them on my HD set.

-Claude

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Hey Claude, thanks for the update - GREAT news for Gordon Scott Tarzan fans. I also found these on the Warner Archive surfing tonight and ordered all 6 movies (a 50% savings instead of getting them for $19.95 each). They will be available for shipping on 11/18/09.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
My order for the Gordon Scott Tarzan films shipped today. Looks like a fun weekend lies ahead.

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator
Please let us know how the quality of the movies are when you receive them, Ahollis. Joe why is your order going to be shipped on the 18th. I just ordered my set this past Saturday, and I was told my my discs should be shipping by Wednesday.

-Claude

Joe Kelly

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JOE
Claude, I checked again - Says will ship BY the 18th, arrival ETA is the 24th (Just a guestimate on their part, I guess). I chose the standard shipping. Have a good one.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
According to the tracking notice mine should arrive tomorrow (Wednesday). I will be interested to see how these rate visually compared to the other prior tarzan releases.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by smithb /forum/thread/267621/tarzan-gordon-scott-mike-henry/30#post_3626490
According to the tracking notice mine should arrive tomorrow (Wednesday). I will be interested to see how these rate visually compared to the other prior tarzan releases.
Same here, I guess I have got my plans for Wednesday night in place.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
My set arrives on Thursday according to the tracking information. I was happy with the Barker Tarzans. I hope these will also be in nice shape.

Claude S

Stunt Coordinator
I never bought movies from Warner Archive before. The Gordon Scott Tarzans are the first and I am looking forward to them. This question was probably asked before but I would like to know how does DVR-R compare to regular DVDs as far as the way they should be handled. I was told DVD-R are much more sensitive to mishandling and one should not expose them to direct sunlight or extreme heat. I do not know if this is true or not but I heard long pauses is also not good for them because of the way the film content was burned on it. I find it very difficult to believe but is there any truth to this?

-Claude

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Just got mine today and have been spot-checking them. If you were satisfied with the Lex Barker's, then you should be happy with these. All the widescreen prints are anamorphic, color is generally good where applicable and there is grain and specks as the prints are not cleaned up. Pretty much what you'd expect. I didn't notice any combing so it's likely these are progressive scan.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Anyone get TARZAN AND THE TRAPERS? I'm curious to know what type of shape the print is in compaired to the public domian releases.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Originally Posted by DeWilson /forum/thread/267621/tarzan-gordon-scott-mike-henry/30#post_3626813
Anyone get TARZAN AND THE TRAPERS? I'm curious to know what type of shape the print is in compaired to the public domian releases.
The print is widescreen anamorphic. For some reason the opening credits appear really soft to me, likely due to the movie's origins as an aborted TV series, but after that the print is pretty solid throughout. I'm not familiar with the various PD offerings of this title, but if they're like most PD releases then this should be an improvement.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Originally Posted by Claude S /forum/thread/267621/tarzan-gordon-scott-mike-henry/30#post_3626754
I never bought movies from Warner Archive before. The Gordon Scott Tarzans are the first and I am looking forward to them. This question was probably asked before but I would like to know how does DVR-R compare to regular DVDs as far as the way they should be handled. I was told DVD-R are much more sensitive to mishandling and one should not expose them to direct sunlight or extreme heat. I do not know if this is true or not but I heard long pauses is also not good for them because of the way the film content was burned on it. I find it very difficult to believe but is there any truth to this?
-Claude
It is really hard to say yet about DVD-R's and their longevity. It is hard to tell the myth from the facts with all that is posted. I've read where some say not to use permanent markers on DVD-R's because of the chemical composition of the marker can eat through the top protective layer over time if it is not thick enough. Believe it or not.
I think it is straight forward that the ink substance within a DVD-R is affected by the heat of the laser when burned to imprint the content. But you can't burn it twice so it must go into some inactive state. But does prolonged exposure to heat mess with the content over time? Can the content degrade over time, faster then an pressed DVD? If so, is the time an issue for us (e.g., 5 years, 20 years, 100 years)?
I have DVD-R's I've made for my kids that start freezing and pixelating after a few years of use with no direct abuse to the disks themselves. But these have been viewed a gazillion times in kids terminology.
From what I've read from a study performed on DVD disks is that a DVD-R should last longer then we will ever need it to last if properly cared for. I also believe from personal experience heat can impact them orver time (players can get very hot internally and then their is the laser itself). So if you avoid contact with the content surface, avoid scratches and other types of abuse to the surface, keep them in their cases when not used, and don't typically watch them 100+ times each, they should last a life time. We will know better in 10+ years how these archive disks last.
Of course this is just my perspective. I'm not an expert in the field, so take it however you like. Maybe other will chime in with their experiences.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I have some DVD-r's that are over ten years old from other Internet companies that still play just fine. Again they are ones that I do not play over and over. The DVD-r's that I have made myself off of TCM and other networks are all having problems. I had used a Phillips DVD/VHS recorder. I have since replaced that with a Sony DVD/VHS unit and have had much better results. I think that the one element in the longevity question is the quality of the recording. I would hope and assume (I know what assume means) that the Warner Archive and the TCM/Universal DVD-r's are handled in a professional manner.

Brad is correct in that the longevity of any DVD-r and DVD depends on how you handle and store it.

mdnitoil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott
Direct sunlight should be avoided for prolonged periods. The UV rays start to degrade the chemical layer which obviously is a bad thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks