What's new

Tarzan Boxset (1 Viewer)

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Yes, it's going to be a digi-pack (from what I've heard)...

Also the "uncut and PC" references have to do with excessive violence in the earlier films, and native portrayals in many of them. TARZAN AND HIS MATE was pretty heavily censored in its initial theatrical release, cutting much violence and a notorious swimming sequence where a double for Maureen O'Sullivan as Jane swims nude with Tarzan and nothing is left to the imagination.

Fortunately, that footage was restored by Turner in the late '80s, and that pre-code version is what was released on VHS and LD. I'm confident that WHV will follow suit with a complete version of the pre-code cut, but in a new transfer for DVD.

Bring on the King of the Jungle!

Terry H

Second Unit
All this nostalgia! Abbott and Costello, Ma & Pa Kettle and now Johnny Weissmuller's Tarzan. Woo Hoo!! :D

Richard Stammer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Richard
Like many of you, I have a certain nostalgia for the Tarzan movies and I can appreciate everyone's enthusiasm. However, as soon as I read my first Tarzan book by Edgar Rice Burroughs when I was 12, Johnny Weismiller's portrayal diminished considerably. For those of you who aren't aware, the literary Tarzan was multi-lingual, legally married to Jane, had a son named Korak, had a monkey (not a chimp) named Nikima, and was immortal courtesy of a potion from the lost city of Opar. For those who haven't, do yourself a favor and read about the real Tarzan.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

But if we read the book then perhaps our appreciation for the Weissmuller films would diminished too and then what we have? No Weissmuller films in our dvd library.;)

Crawdaddy

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
I've read the book....

The Weissmuller films aren't based directly from the book, and were blessed by Burroughs himself. That's good enough for me.

Incidentally, the Library of Congress recently named TARZAN AND HIS MATE to the National Film Registry.::cool:

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I have no desire to read any Tarzan book. The Weissmuller films provide me with all the Tarzan entertainment that I could ever want.

Marko Berg

Supporting Actor

Is it not Warners who refuse to release an uncensored version of Eyes Wide Shut in R1?

Regardless, this is great news about the Weissmuller Tarzan collection.

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
I wish Warner would release the RKO Tarzan films on DVD. They've never even been released on VHS. They could release them in volumes i.e. The Johnny Weissmuller years, The Lex Barker years, The Gordon Scott years, etc. I'd love to see them all. I've only seen up to "Tarzan Finds a Son!" so far. There are 28 in that series alone.

MaraKM

Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know if this dvd will remove the Glenn Close dubbing and restore Andie MacDowell's voice to the tracks? I loved Greystoke when I saw it in the theater, but I find it unwatchable now whenever it turns up on cable because the sound of Close's voice coming out of MacDowell's body is unbearably distracting.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
just a heads up for people that haven't pre-ordered this yet.

i just opened up a new account at Columbia House, and the boxset is available for pre-order at the price of $44.96.
it also counts as 2 fulfillment selections.

if you are savvy, that means that you can pick up 7 titles (including this boxset as one title) for a per title cost of around $10 after shipping and tax.

not too shabby.

Trace Ahlers

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,
Thanks for the heads up. I have been a CH member for a long time but haven't made any purchases lately because they can't beat Best Buy. The BB web-site listed the collection at 69.99!
Thanks very much. :)
Trace

Mark McAlister

Stunt Coordinator
Just a side note,
and this is probably old news to you guys but, Best Buy has a Tazan 2 disc Boxset for sale in their bargain bin. 5 movies over 6 hours includes:
Tarzan and the Trappers starring Gordon Scott
Tarzan The Fearless starring Buster Crabbe
Tarzan of the Apes starring Elmo Lineoln
Tarzan and the Green Goddess starring Bruce Bennett
Tarzan's Revenge starring Glenn Morris

all for only I believe it was 5.88 for the boxset (you can't beat that). It was with the bargain stuff at the front of the store at the registers. They had a boxset of the old Robin Hood movies as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks