Tarzan Boxset On Sale At Walmart

Discussion in 'DVD' started by FrancisP, Nov 15, 2005.

1. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

Walmart has had the Warner tv boxsets on sale for under $20.00 for some time. Now they have some Warner movie boxsets for under $20. The most prominent is the Tarzan collection with Johnny Weissmuller. I also noticed the John Wayne Signature Collection as well.
    There probably were more but my eyes sort of bugged out when I saw the Tarzan set for $19.86 after seeing it around $60 at Best buy last week.

2. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

Thanks Francis, I just called them and they are holding a copy for me.

3. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Is the Lewton Collection reduced too?? [​IMG]

4. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

These are mainly the older Warner movie sets.

5. Garysb

Garysb Screenwriter

There are several Warner Box sets that are reduced at various B&M and on line. In addition to Tarzan there is
    That's Entertainment Box
    Barbra Streisand Box
    Signature Collections for John Wayne, Elizabeth Taylor, and
    Tracy and Hepburn
    Clint Eastward box
    Gene Kelly Box.
    Best Picture Musicals
    Humphrey Bogart Box
    Gone With The Wind 4 Disc set

These are $20 at Amazon . I also saw them for $22 at Virgin Mega Store in Times Square in NYC.

There are probably other sets I have missed.

6. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

I would also add Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and a
    Austin Powers boxset.

7. dave bula

dave bula Stunt Coordinator

$19 at Costco for the aforementioned sets. Probably should point out that the Best Picture Musicals set with the reduced price is the one with just 3 films, American In Paris, Gigi, and My Fair Lady in the earlier single disc edition.

Warner also has a different set that includes those 3 films plus Broadway Melody of 1929 and Great Ziegfeld. The My Fair Lady in this set is the 2-disc edition. This 6-disc, 5 film set does not have a reduced price.

It appears that all of these sets with reduced prcies are the smaller sets with 4 discs or less. None of the larger sets have had their prices changed, as far as I can see.

It's nice to see these price reductions. Now that they've come down, I finally purchased the John Wayne, the Bogart, the Tracy & Hepburn, and That's Entertainment. Will probably get the Gene Kelly and am considering the Taylor. Already had the Tarzan & the GWTW, as well as several other larger WB sets that have not been reduced. Of course, now I wish I'd waited. But who could have guessed?

I think that this is a first for Warners in reducing set prices, although I might have suspected something was up about a week earlier when I found the first 2 Looney Tunes Golden Collections selling for $26 each. Let's hope this is the start of a very nice trend.

8. Dane Marvin

Dane Marvin Screenwriter

Where the heck did you find the Looney Tunes sets for $26 each? Please let me know if that's a national deal that's still going on. Thanks.

9. dave bula

dave bula Stunt Coordinator

That also was at Costco. I don't know if it's national or not, but I would presume so. I don't believe that the individual Costcos have any control over their pricing. And as always with Costco, it should go on until they run out of stock on hand.

Keep in mind that only the first 2 of the Looney Tunes Golden Collections were being sold for $26 apiece. #3 was selling for $42, just like the others used to. When I found this, I figured that the price break must have come right then because #3 had just come out. I was startled, but I quickly snatched up #1 and #2. I'd wanted them for some time, but had decided that they were just too expensive. I'm hoping that in a year or so, #3 will come down too.

10. FrancisP

FrancisP Screenwriter

Best Buy has a sale on the first two Looney Tunes set. They are selling for $29.99 through 11/26. It's on the website but not sure if its a in-store sale as well.