What's new

Talk me out of buying an Oppo BDP-93 (1 Viewer)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
HagenBlaz said:
Does anyone know if the Oppo 93 is still a good thing to buy? A concern I have is that I buy it, then soon after Oppo will introduce a newer better model for less money.
there are rumors of a new player coming out this fall, however it will most likey be the same price of 499.
Jacob

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by HagenBlaz /t/310509/talk-me-out-of-buying-an-oppo-bdp-93/90#post_3952083
Does anyone know if the Oppo 93 is still a good thing to buy? A concern I have is that I buy it, then soon after Oppo will introduce a newer better model for less money.
Someone will always have something better and cheaper on the horizon. If its within your budget and meets your needs I would say go for it. At this point other than increasing speed a hair or adding the latest download streaming service, I'm not sure what else they could do to it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich /t/310509/talk-me-out-of-buying-an-oppo-bdp-93/90#post_3952092
Someone will always have something better and cheaper on the horizon. If its within your budget and meets your needs I would say go for it. At this point other than increasing speed a hair or adding the latest download streaming service, I'm not sure what else they could do to it.

Right, I'm very happy with mine. Also, I bought the Panny 500 and it's a very good player too, but I think video/audio performance-wise, the Oppo might be a little better especially with it being modified for region free.

HagenBlaz

Agent
Real Name
Bob
Adam Gregorich said:
Someone will always have something better and cheaper on the horizon.  If its within your budget and meets your needs I would say go for it.  At this point other than increasing speed a hair or adding the latest download streaming service, I'm not sure what else they could do to it.
Yes, I believe this is the right way to think about it. I'm currently using a 4 year old Panasonic Blu-ray player that still provides a satisfying experience, however it is very slow, and flashes like crazy at the beginning of movies as it switches back and forth from 60p to 24p. I have been thinking of upgrading for a while, and think that now is the time. I'll have it burned in in time for the release of Lawrence of Arabia later this year. And who knows, maybe I'll be able to watch certain Bunuel movies with it. :P

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by HagenBlaz /t/310509/talk-me-out-of-buying-an-oppo-bdp-93/90#post_3952105
Yes, I believe this is the right way to think about it. I'm currently using a 4 year old Panasonic Blu-ray player that still provides a satisfying experience, however it is very slow, and flashes like crazy at the beginning of movies as it switches back and forth from 60p to 24p. I have been thinking of upgrading for a while, and think that now is the time. I'll have it burned in in time for the release of Lawrence of Arabia later this year. And who knows, maybe I'll be able to watch certain Bunuel movies with it.

Wait two months, see what Oppo might release, if there is no info forthcoming then buy the 93, i have a multi-region 83 and i am happy, my Playstation is a backup.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Major news for BDP-93 owners who still play DVDs. Today's firmware update adds DVD 24p capability.
Just updated my Oppo and will be testing it out...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Carlo Medina /t/310509/talk-me-out-of-buying-an-oppo-bdp-93/90#post_3962203
Major news for BDP-93 owners who still play DVDs. Today's firmware update adds DVD 24p capability.
Just updated my Oppo and will be testing it out...
Cool, I wonder what that firmware update was about.

Crawdaddy

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Carlo Medina said:
Are there very may DVDs that are encoded 24p, though? I thought that was part of why the option was left off of the earlier Oppo BD players.
Speaking of, I just bought my third BDP-83 at an area pawn shop for $225! Wasn't really looking for a third one (was scouring eBay for used DV-981/983s), but couldn't pass it up at the price. It even still had the HDMI cable, calibration discs and tote bag!

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Andy - most Hollywood/mainstream DVDs are properly encoded and have within them the capability to properly recreate the 24fps of film. DVD players have been using 3:2 pulldown for ages to do this.
According to Oppo:
As of the 71-0723 Beta Firmware the BDP-9x series of players supports DVD 24Hz Conversion. To enable this feature you need to be using HDMI 1, have the "Output Resolution" set to "AUTO" or "1080p", "1080p24 Output" set to "AUTO" or "ON" and "DVD 24p Conversion" set to "ON".
  • Originally the BDP-9x series of players did not support DVD 24p Conversion due to performance concerns:
  • We found the performance on the BDP-83 for DVD 24Hz Conversion to be below our quality threshold. It suffered from a lot of frame tearing and relied explicitly on the disc being 3:2 Cadence derivative. Most film media will have breaks in the cadence, which will cause unwanted visual errors such as screen tearing and increased video judder (the precise thing you want to remove in the first place).
  • For this reason it is unlikely (though not ruled out) that DVD 24Hz Conversion will also not be used in the BDP-93 if we find that this player has the same limitations. We design our products to improve on the video and audio performance, not degrade it. Unfortunately we sometimes have to make hard decisions based on the benefits and detriments, and this means removing features that some customers may find desirable.
Clearly they've found a way around the situation (or solved it) and that's why they've enabled it!

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Carlo Medina said:
Andy - most Hollywood/mainstream DVDs are properly encoded and have within them the capability to properly recreate the 24fps of film. DVD players have been using 3:2 pulldown for ages to do this.
According to Oppo:
Clearly they've found a way around the situation (or solved it) and that's why they've enabled it!
Hmmm. I thought I remembered reading somewhere (either on a forum or Oppo's own literature) something about one of the DVD playback menu options that was a rarely-used feature on commercial DVDs. Could it have been something else?
Odd that the feature was available in the BDP-83 but not it's successor (until now).

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This makes me wonder if they can release a firmware update to improve the BD-83, i rarely ever use this option for DVD's but any improvements would be welcome.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
FoxyMulder said:
This makes me wonder if they can release a firmware update to improve the BD-83, i rarely ever use this option for DVD's but any improvements would be welcome.
Is there something wrong with the 83? DVD upscaling looks fine to me. If you think the firmware needs improvement, have you contacted Oppo customer service? If there's a real issue that can be fixed with firmware, I'm sure they'd do it.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by AndyMcKinney /t/310509/talk-me-out-of-buying-an-oppo-bdp-93/90#post_3963528
Is there something wrong with the 83? DVD upscaling looks fine to me. If you think the firmware needs improvement, have you contacted Oppo customer service? If there's a real issue that can be fixed with firmware, I'm sure they'd do it.

The upscaling is fine, i'm talking about the 24p ( 23.976 ) feature for DVD playback and the statement in this thread that they made concerning that, as i say i don't really use it much at all but if Oppo think it doesn't work as good as it should and thats why it was never applied to the BD-93 and now they have applied it to the BD-93 ( originally ) then now that they have applied it they must think it works good, if that's the case then maybe a firmware update for the BD-83 too is planned, or maybe it already works good enough on the BD-83, i don't know about the latter. ( haven't used it enough to say )

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
FoxyMulder said:
The upscaling is fine, i'm talking about the 24p ( 23.976 ) feature for DVD playback and the statement in this thread that they made concerning that, as i say i don't really use it much at all but if Oppo think it doesn't work as good as it should and thats why it was never applied to the BD-93 and now they have applied it to the BD-93 ( originally ) then now that they have applied it they must think it works good, if that's the case then maybe a firmware update for the BD-83 too is planned, or maybe it already works good enough on the BD-83, i don't know about the latter. ( haven't used it enough to say )
best to ask oppo that question.
Jacob

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Just remembered I haven't installed the update yet. Anyone done it, and have any observations to make?

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
My 93 updates whenever they come available, last update was about a week ago. Unless you are having problems I doubt youre missing anything.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Chas in CT said:
Just remembered I haven't installed the update yet.  Anyone done it, and have any observations to make?
Watched Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade DVD and it looked great, motion was definitely improved with the 24p enabled (confirmed it was working via TV display).

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The new Samsung 55ES7100 and my new (refurbished, actually) are enroute. I am interested in a Mod for region free play. Is there any consensus on the best one out there? A brief perusal of this thread indicates there's a mode that will require powering off/on to change regions and one that doesn't. I certainly prefer that. I don't suppose there's a mode that simply makes the player region free without having to make selections?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks