What's new

Talk about giving your sub a workout !! (1 Viewer)

greg_t

Screenwriter
Lewis,
Are you sure DTS-ES isn't a theatrical format? Check out the following links.
http://www.dtsonline.com/cinema/index.html
This will take you to the Cinema portion of the DTS website. Under "movies" it will have an asterik by the movies availabe in DTS-ES, and if you go under "products" you will see the DTS-ES extended surround decoder listed as a DTS Cinema product.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Gotta love the bass on this one. My dual SVS 25-31CS+'s handled it very well. Sometimes I was fearful of a bottom here and there so I kept my finger on the volume(like usual). It's nice to see some of these "bass testing" DVD's getting knocked down the chart. Can't wait for the Nov. release.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Am I the only one that watched it at reference level? jk
I had it at reference level but during the beginning scene with the female narrator her voice was like rubbing my chest as the bass spikes in my room really started to irritate me.
I lowered the volume a little below reference and her voice was fine. I couldn't believe the loudness this DVD has compared to others.. I'd describe it as pretty dynamic. I wouldn't complain about bass in sound tracks until you hear Resident Evil. :)
Have you guys tried the FOTR 2nd disc?, each click of my mouse on the menu screen is like hearing a volcano erupt. I was like "What the heck is going on with the menu?"
The ring itself, whenever it's shown expect to hear bass. The doors don't squeak in the shire, they have their own sine wave. Whenever the ring falls like when it was on the burnt finger, it shook the floor.
The one good part of this movie is I can never tell if my sub is distorting because my whole room distorts and drowns everything thing else out. Oh, goosebumps visual was the opening scene of the shire with Frodo sitting in the green woods. Man, those green colors and music really put me there.
Hey, there should be an Oscar for Best Bass in film.

Martice

Screenwriter
ARRGHHH!!!! My speakers are getting painted so I can't hear this movie and refuse to watch it without them. I can't wait to run this movie through my sub.

MarkHendrickson

Auditioning
I've been holding off on calibrating our speakers until we receive the Outlaw 950. After our first viewing of LOTR using a pair of 16-46CS+s, we began to question the structural integrity of our house! ;) We now know the relative resonant frequency of each window, door, frame, and duct within 20 feet of our home theater.
It is time to plug in the Rane, put in the Stryke CD, and get to work this weekend. Who know when the Outlaw will finally arrive... but that is another story.
Tom, a couple of our guests last night will likely become new SVS customers. Did you notice a spike in activity on your website since the release of LOTR?

Arron H

Second Unit
The reverse sweep as Sauron goes anti-matter seemed deep to some...it was really 80hz sweeping down to about 50hz.
That it explains it! I have an 8Hz dip at 56Hz and the sweep seemed to die prematurely. I'm going to have to break down and get that BFD at some point! I concur with everyone else about how loud LOTR is. My wife and I listened at about 20 Db below my calibrated reference level and it was almost too much! Great movie!

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Paging Mike Strassburg. I'm sure he's crazy enough to and has a system capable of watching FOTR at full reference. Since he has watched many other movies at above reference level :p)

RajeeK

Second Unit
This thread is killing me. I've been trying to hold out on getting LOTR until the extended edition in Nov., but man I am aching to give my dual 16-46+'s a workout now.

MarkHendrickson

Auditioning
RajeeK,

Look on the bright side, you can still get the new version in November and put the current version in someone's Christmas stocking or something like that!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
At reference, calibrated correctly(subs would be 2-3dB under the other speakers using a RS SPL meter)...I'm showing peaks in the 121-124dB range for the opening battle.(the reverse sweep was the loudest I think,but the ring hitting the ground was right there too).This is with all speakers set to SMALL,woofs lowpassed at 80hz.The bass is very well done imo.If you are calibrated true(not 6-12dB hot :) ),and have the woofage...the opening battle scenes leave you breathless and your pulse around 120 I bet. Just what was intended by the artists involved I would reckon? If a woof is straining,it could be producing a lot of harmonics which would be much *tougher* on the ears because fo their higher freqs. Remember...the third and fifth harmonics of say a 40hz *boom* is 120hz and 200hz...ouch! At 125dB,my current system would be coasting in the 1-1.5% thd range...so this could be why I consider LOTR very enjoyable near/at reference.
I'll redo it when I have more time just to double check(this was a very hasty test).
TV

Andy_S

Second Unit
FOTR is a great DVD to use when you're trying to isolate rattles in your HT room. Of course, it doesn't help that it actually rattles the entire structure of your home :)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
The structural resonating frequency of my Door is 30hz. 100% of the time I can open the door when it's fully closed if I produce a test tone of 30hz @ 110-120db.
You can click on the pic of my room at site.
During a bass sweep, the rattles change from window, to door, to closet, to desk, to drawyers and it's like a surround sound of total HT distortion.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
You're running Klipsch Reference with an MC12 Tom? Amps?

Are you using any of your SVS prototypes or just Ultras, how many? How big is your room?

Johnny Mac

Stunt Coordinator
I've only watched a few minutes of this so far but wow, what a great sounding disc. I'm running a single 25-31pci about 5db hot and I could only get to about - 10db from reference before I got concerned. Man was it fun though. Can't wait to show this off to friends. :D

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Another note about the 120-200hz hamonics...the human ear will be about 50-60dB less sensitive to the 40hz fundamental...

In other words...if you played a 200hz test tone in your room...and noted the SPL of audibility. The 40hz tone would need to be about 50-60dB louder to be heard. That is why the harmonics of a woof can make things sound really nasty in some cases.(even if they were *only* as loud as the fundamental---they would sound MUCH louder to your ear).

I'm using an all Klipsch system(KLF30s,C7,3.1s,ss-5s to the side)with a couple of cheap amps...old thx receiver powering 5 channels and an old alesis ra100 powering the side surrounds(mc-12). The room is a basic 20x14x8 shoebox...and I have a couple new(test)SVs in one corner.

TV

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
These test subs the ones you briefly mentioned in another thread? You're just plain mean ;) I'm soo curious to see what you have come up with now. Are they still using 12" drivers or have you gone bigger :)

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
Out of curiosity, I played various scenes with my SPL meter in hand to see just how crazy I could get. I have an SVS 20-39CS+/S1000 EQ'd flat +/-4dB, set to reference level (i.e. not running hot, 85dB speakers, 82dB sub with Avia). So I kept bumping it up bit by bit... and by the time I saw the clip light flicker on the Samson, I had hit 115dB of sheer undulterated air-moving bass. I was afraid to push it any harder.
Not a very scientific approach and I really just did it out of personal curiosity... but damn it put a smile on my face! It even helped me figure out which part of my china cabinet was still rattling. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks