What's new

Tales From the Darkside (1 Viewer)

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
I couldn't tell either. To be absolutely fair, a lot of the show is made on the cheap so I can't really see if they would use actual music or a composed score. After watching 'It All Comes Out in the Wash' last night, it's hard to tell if they really put money into the show or not. Seriously, it was all just one set that was used for the majority of the show. It was on the level of a '50s televised play. Not to knock it too hard, but after that.....what music could they really afford if they were bargain binning it with bottle shows like that?

Again, I'm not knocking the show. I want the entire run along with Monsters. But some of the shows were really done on the cheap, even by Darkside standards. I don't think they could afford music outside of stock sources.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
On another note, I'm pretty sure Tales From The Darkside had all its sound elements mixed on the same track (ie: no separate dialogue, music, and effects track) since it was going to archived on tape instead of film. So barring the usage of some advanced audio filter, it would be hard to separate the music from the show.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
If anybody had any doubts about this being a seller, I grabbed one of the last two copies on Tuesday night at a Wal-Mart, and when I went in today on a raid, there were none left. I think it's quite popular around here!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
If the total sales of Season 1 are as good as the sales described in your post above Nick, then surely the second season will be announced in the next few months. Season 2 of Friday the 13th: The Series was announced not that long after Season 1 was released on Region 1.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
It seems to be a big seller here too. There were only a few copies on the shelves at Best Buy & the Fye stores I went to in the last week.
I'm really enjoying this set. The picture quality seems to have improved after the first epiosde or two (I've only watched the first disc & a few episodes on the second). How true it is this show was done on the cheap. Some episodes are actually hystercially funny. If this set is selling as well as I think it is, season two should be along in no time and an announcement for Monsters probably won't be too far away

Daniel-C

Stunt Coordinator
Has there been any episodes that show the Tribune Entertainment or LBS logos at the end or do they show the CBS Television Distribution endings?

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu

Releasing Monsters concurrently would rock, and I'm surprised that show hasn't been in release before this. A glance at a few episodes of Monsters shows a higher budget at the very least for all those monster outfits (especially in the intro). I hope it comes to pass, these shows really deserve a second look twenty years after the fact.

And so far, I've cut through half the episodes in the set and they all see to have CBS/Paramount outros.

Daniel-C

Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the tip.

I did find the music change in Trick or Treat. When it first aired the theme to Tales from the Darkside was used in the pilot. In the DVD the theme is only used in the opening and closing credits, and some episodes had the bumpers had the music change, but the rest I couldn't tell. I'm watching the first disc now, and I hope to see season 2.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well here's your smoking gun...

Its that blasted Capitol Music Library again. The same one that caused all the problems with The Fugitive Season 2 release last year. On the other hand Paramount did apparantly manage to successfully deal with OGM, which explains why most of the original music for "Inside The Closet" is intact.

Nick Zbu

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Nick Zbu
Well, I hope that CBS/Paramount is making some arrangement to fix that little problem they're having with the Capitol Music Library. It's one thing if its just one show, but if it's going to affect a lot of shows, they might as well make some settlement and move on with life.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
In the episode "The False Prophet," there were some songs sung by the episode's star, Ronee Blakley; can anyone verify if those are still present?

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack

Oh I hope Not I wasn't aware Ronee Blakley did a Tales Episode... and I just fnished disc one.... I hope her songs are still there... She was my favorite character in NASHVILLE!

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack

i Just watched that episode and there was a twangy country song playing at the start of the episode but no lyrics it must have been generic and replaced. It is a shame, I am sure Ronee would have rather had the song in the episode.It had to be for legal issues.

Still love watching Ronee in the episode, it was the final episode of the season.

I hope they announce season 2 soon, I would guess a Halloween time frame along with another season of Friday the 13th the series.

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
On my 1 standard def tv, the picture quality on the dvd is bad.Then I watched the 2 same episodes, on my new hi def tv, and it looks pretty good.

Daniel-C

Stunt Coordinator
Great news:

Season 2 of Tales from the Darkside will hit stores on October 6th. Just in time for Halloween.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This George Romero feature which will be in the Season 2 set sounds interesting. Is it an interview with him about Tales from the Darkside? It's good to see a DVD extra in the Tales from the Darkside Region 1 S2 set, being as the Friday the 13th - The Series R1 sets are extras-free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks