What's new

Tales From the Darkside (1 Viewer)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Wasn't there some sort of cross-ownership issue between Paramount, Tribune, and Freemantle keeping this in red tape?

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Well, any positive words on this classic show getting a release? Oh, I consider it a classic as well. Haven't seen it since I was a kid but it was one of those shows I'd channel surf to and be glad I was up late at night to catch it (and hopefully the scary as hell opening credit sequence ).

I'd buy the whole show as soon as I had the money to do so if it could just get a release. I've bought a few things that resemble it, but that's not the same.

Qrusher14242

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Daniel Dressel
This was a favorite of mine growing up. Caught a few episodes on Scifi yesterday. Missed most of them, didnt expect to ever see it on tv again lol
Would love to get em on DVD someday.

Elena S

Supporting Actor
Add me to those who'd like to see it on DVD. Actually, I'm shocked that it isn't. Most sci-fi shows have already received the DVD treatment.

Daniel-C

Stunt Coordinator
For those who have DirecTV, Tales from the Darkside can be seen on Chiller.

I wrote a letter to Paramount asking them to bring the series to DVD.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Good job Daniel. I hope your efforts are rewarded.

I really believe this would be a huge seller. Twilight Zone seems to be doing huge biz (I'm about to pick up that definitive set myself) and TftD is one of the best of the ones that followed it in its genre. I don't have a dish TV service, but there's a few complete episodes on youtube. I believe the show holds up well. Certainly it's below TZ (what isn't?) but it's still a worthly addition to any TZ fan's DVD collection. There's one about a Christmas monster starring E.G. Marshall. Man, that's a trip! I'm sure I saw it years ago and I know I had trouble sleeping that night.

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
I was always a fan of this as well, and I'm definitely enjoying getting to see them again on Sci-Fi and Chiller, along with Monsters, which also pops up from time to time on Chiller. I would definitely buy both of these in a heartbeat. I agree with a poster above - I enjoy my Tales From The Crypt dvd's, but Darkside and Monsters usually had better storylines and an overall creepier atmosphere. Tales From The Crypt had a bigger budget. All great shows, though.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
One side note, Tales from the Darkside The Movie with Blonde (Deborah Harry) isn't too good. The first story about the mummy is okay, but the rest suck. The one about the cat is totally nuts. Watch it with someone squeamish for a more entertaining experience than just the movie alone. I really disliked the final story with Rae Dawn Chong, an almost complete waste of time. Even Merlin's Mystical Shop of Wonders (wonderfully featured on MST3K) is better.

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I would have to completely agree with Radioman (I usually do agree with fellow Pythoniacs). I so much wanted to like the movie cause I was such a big fan of the show when I was a kid. I tried so hard, but, like Radioman said, the mummy section was okay at best, and it went downhill from there. Just a completely different tone from the show.

On another note, one thing I always remember loving about the show (and has been cut out of Sci-Fi reruns, but re-included in the Chiller reruns) is the voiceover at the beginning and end, and the music that went with it. Maybe it's cause I was a kid, but that always kinda creeped me out. Come on, let's get this out on dvd!

Daniel-C

Stunt Coordinator

Tales is still on Sci-Fi channel, but mostly through daytime rotation. Their next block will be on Monday.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Only George Romero could make Lancaster County look so scary and alien. =)

John*P

Second Unit
I recently started watching this show on Sci-Fi Channel. I have to agree with some previous posters; most episodes are either excellent or terrible. That said, I usually become engulfed in the marathons when they air, and was surprised when I found out the show wasn't on DVD. I'd buy it...

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Oh, is that where they filmed that? Im a sucker for quiet tranquil out-in-the-country places like that but youre right...it's very scary on there. The sudden, sort of negative, image they do...plus the voiceover really makes that creepy.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It was even worse in the first two seasons when they had that logo that looked like it had been bloodletted or something.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
As if it needed that too. :D

I watched one about a Christmas monster on youtube. I found it eery as an adult, but as a kid that probably scared the crap out of me.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
One of my personal favourites: A Case of the Stubborns, about a corpse who refuses to believe that he's dead. Played for laughs, and also features a pre-STNG Brent Spiner.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I need to see that one! Sounds fantastic!

(spoiler alert) You reminded me of an episode that has this crazy inventor who comes up with this casket that captures the inventor's enemy, carries him out to the grave yard and buries him all automatically! I can't remember what show that was. Might be Tales of the Unexpected or Bradbry Theater. Not sure...but it's great fun.

Daniel-C

Stunt Coordinator

Christian Slater was also in that episode. A few years later he would appear in Tales from the Darkside: The Movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks