What's new

Taking stock of M.I.A. Paramount Blu-rays... (1 Viewer)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Isn't a BD of One Eyed Jacks already available?

On Edit: Nevermind, I understand this BD is just awful.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Robert Crawford said:
You know what I want? More consumers like us that will buy so many units of these catalog titles that it would force the studios to take notice of this very profitable revenue stream. Sadly, except for a vocal minority on boards like HTF, there just isn't enough of us to entice them to increase their BD output for catalog titles.
My understanding was that Blu-ray catalog titles enjoyed increased popularity and sales this past year... (?)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dick said:
My understanding was that Blu-ray catalog titles enjoyed increased popularity and sales this past year... (?)
They have, but evidently not enough to get some of the studios to increase their output to the levels you want them to be. If the revenues from these BD catalog sales were so robust I can't see any studio turning their back on increasing that revenue stream by purposely limiting that product's output. It doesn't make any business sense to do so if the sales were so profitable.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Robert Crawford said:
They have, but evidently not enough to get some of the studios to increase their output to the levels you want them to be. If the revenues from these BD catalog sales were so robust I can't see any studio turning their back on increasing that revenue stream by purposely limiting that product's output. It doesn't make any business sense to do so if the sales were so profitable.
Yeah, I'm an Elvis fan and by this time in the DVD era, all 33 of his films were out. In BD, there are three (with Love Me Tender coming in late July). It's just not the same as it was back then as far as catalog titles.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
John Hermes said:
Yeah, I'm an Elvis fan and by this time in the DVD era, all 33 of his films were out. In BD, there are three (with Love Me Tender coming in late July). It's just not the same as it was back then as far as catalog titles.
John,

If you take in consideration the gloom and doom stuff we've been reading about Hollywood and the future of film production. I would think the studios would do whatever is possible to increase other revenue streams if the profitability was there for the taking. At times, they're idiots on green lighting certain film projects, but even that type of idiot won't turn their back on certain profits if they have the financial data to show them those potential profits. IMO, I just don't think there are enough of us classic film buffs willing to purchase enough of these BD units. At least not enough to get the studios to increase their BD production levels to what we want them to be. It would be nice if every studio released about five or six pre-1990 film on BD each and every month.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
John Hermes said:
The Elvis movie I want most on Blu-ray is Girls, Girls, Girls because the DVD is an unwatchable grain storm. I don't care if Paramount give it to Olive or do it themselves, just so long as we get a good disc.

. . . and, before any of the usual grain detectives chime in with their standard line: I saw Girls, Girls, Girls on the big screen when it first came out and it did not have all that grain . . .

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
John Hermes said:
I can appreciate that, John. That's how I feel about Elizabeth Taylor...

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I think the problem is with the definition of 'catalogue'. My feeling is that the studios are referring to recent releases that are no longer being shown theatrically. My definition of catalogue is Three Little Words, High Society, Michael Shayne Mysteries etc etc. Perhaps it is the 'deep' catalogue releases which are not selling so well and therein lies the (our) problem.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Keith Cobby said:
I think the problem is with the definition of 'catalogue'. My feeling is that the studios are referring to recent releases that are no longer being shown theatrically. My definition of catalogue is Three Little Words, High Society, Michael Shayne Mysteries etc etc. Perhaps it is the 'deep' catalogue releases which are not selling so well and therein lies the (our) problem.
My definition used to be films made before 1980. However, it's 2013 now which is 33 years after 1980. I don't think it's fair to call a film made 25 years ago, a current film as the years keep on accumulating.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Robin9 said:
The Elvis movie I want most on Blu-ray is Girls, Girls, Girls because the DVD is an unwatchable grain storm. I don't care if Paramount give it to Olive or do it themselves, just so long as we get a good disc.

. . . and, before any of the usual grain detectives chime in with their standard line: I saw Girls, Girls, Girls on the big screen when it first came out and it did not have all that grain . . .
Robin, I had an original 35mm IB Tech print of GGG back in the 1990s. It was pretty darn spectacular, with beautiful color, contrast and tight grain. The blue Hawaiian ocean was unbelievably gorgeous. Dye-transfer Technicolor was a very special treat. If they could translate that into a BD it would be fantastic. Yeah, if Paramount is just going to sit on stuff like this, Blue Hawaii, Fun In Acapulco, Roustabout (I had each of these in 35mm Tech as well), and all the other Paramount films mentioned, please do give them to Olive.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I would expect Warners to handle the Elvis titles, not Olive. It will probably be as double or triple features or a couple of box sets combining the Paramount Elvis titles with the MGM ones that Warners owns.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Professor Echo said:
I would expect Warners to handle the Elvis titles, not Olive. It will probably be as double or triple features or a couple of box sets combining the Paramount Elvis titles with the MGM ones that Warners owns.
That would be cool - bring it on!

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I maintain that the biggest problem is with Warners because they control so many other studios output. Twilight Time, Criterion and Olive are consistently putting out product with something to interest most people (including me). Warners on the other hand, with responsibility for Paramount, MGM, RKO, Goldwyn and their own titles, have slowed to a trickle. They must have many titles that have perfectly acceptable HD masters that could be released. Clearly they no longer consider it profitable to release so many titles and it is my opinion that they will only ramp up output when burn-on-demand blu-ray becomes possible.

Roger Grodsky

Stunt Coordinator
I'm probably going to sound like the biggest Streisand..er...fan in the world for this, but On a Clear Day You Can See Forever, which has been quite mistreated on video in the past. There were filmed numbers with Jack Nicholson ("Who Is There Among Us Who Knows?") and Larry Blyden and Streisand ("Wait Till We're Sixty-Five") filmed and cut. Originally planned as a roadshow release but cut down to one act right before release.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Mark-P said:
The Desperate House? :lol: I know what you meant!
Also The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and Funny Face are already available region-free in Europe.
"Funny Face" looks & sounds Great!!!

WadeM

Supporting Actor
What about the films that have been completely ignored in the DVD era?

For example, here's some of my most wanted:

Roger Vadim's Blood and Roses
Legend of Nigger Charley
Reincarnation of Peter Proud

And what about the Peanuts films that have been ignored:

Bon Voyage Charlie Brown
Race For Your Life Charlie Brown

I'll take the above films on Blu-ray before ANY film that has been released on DVD

Then there's some that need a decent release in the first place, like One-Eyed Jacks

Then the ones that are long out of print, like Danger: Diabolik

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks