What's new

Taking DVD Requests For SVS PB2-Ultra Review (1 Viewer)

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
On the Superbit with DTS, the depth charges start to go off on the first or 2nd chapter on the 2nd disc(it's split across 2 discs).

Dan Halchak

Stunt Coordinator
Two movies that surprised me (and are cheap!) are Hollywood Homicide and Belly of the Beast. Both movies I was really surprised by the bass in them.

Both should be able to be picked up for about $10 - $14.

I definitely agree with Master & Commander, just watched it tonight, WOW...that soundtrack is just about as lound (during battle scenes) as Underworld was...yet as quiet as any other scenes during other parts...definitely a great DVD!

VinhT

Second Unit
Edward,

For Matrix Revolutions, would you please examine the output of the PB2-Ultra at 1:47:26 (second to last water bubble)? The presence (or lack) of port noise will be a monumental factor in my decision when choosing a new subwoofer. Thanks.

DennyH

Grip
I continue to tout the virtues of Symphonic YES in DTS. PQ is toprate and the SQ is unsurpassed in music DVD's ( as far as I've heard so far). At the end of Starship Trooper, Chris Squire's bass goes lower than you can imagine ;) . I listen to this disc more than any other that I have.
DJ
HT System:
HK 525
SVS PB2+
Norh 5.1 Front and Surround
Norh Prism 4.1 Center
Pioneer 563 Universal Player
Hitachi 53SBX59B

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Iron Giant
Air battle: chapter 25
Battleship sequence: chapter 27 1:11:40

Titan AE
Chapter 2 - Door opens 4:46, 6:00 explosion, 6:13 moon hit
Chapter 12 - flying sequence

Toy Story II opening sequence.

Did not get to check around for SPR, but the Omaha beach sequence is good.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Steve - The Hammer Rescue will definitely be included.

Parker - Forgive my ignorance; what genre is Flimm and the BB's?

I've got T2 and Das Boot DC in DD 5.1. I've read the DD version actually has as good or better bass than the DTS Superbit version so I should be OK there.

All - M&C will definitely be included; I'm watching it tonight.

What about Kill Bill? Some pretty brutal DTS body slams in the opening fight sequence. Or is it too bizarre?

Dan - No gots on HH and BOTB.

John - I'll pick up IG just for you. :) I needed to get that anyway. Thanks for the time stamps on the others. Some new ones on Titan AE are just what I needed; I did the ice ring and the planet forming already.

Denny - I don't have Symphonic Yes; sorry. If I see it around I'll check it out.

Vinht - I can tell you this already. I watched Revolutions at -2RL with all ports open and the tune switch to 20 Hz (I know, it's a mismatch but my room is moderate size), and that scene flat blew out the room with no audible port noise whatsoever. I felt like the guy in the old Maxell ad. Those three huge 4" flared ports can move some incredible amounts of air. We were easily hitting 115+ dB at the seat on Revolutions and the Ultra just shrugged it off.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Hmmm.....what did you hear different, Shane? Better power, extension, and clarity from the DTS version?

Usually I would concur with the DTS bass being better than DD bass for a given soundtrack, but I read otherwise in a review of the Superbit version of Das Boot. That doesn't mean the reviewer was right, though. ;) I'd probably tend to lean in your direction.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Monsters Inc. The part in the apartment when she luaghs is what I use as a demo on my 20-39pc+. I can get you a time stamp if you would like to use it.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I was going to timestamp that scene in MI also, but I think it was already done by SVS. There are a few good bass spots in that one. The "walking to work" scene, Harryhausen's "containment" scene, the "sock" scene.

On SPR, "The Alamo" is also very good. This sequence is on a DTS (full bitrate) demo disc that was put out by DTS, back when they were still making separate DTS versions of DVDs.

I was going to suggest Kill Bill DTS, but I couldn't tell you specific scenes where bass is good.

DOH! I almost forgot - Fight club - "Single serving friends" scene in the airplane (will get a timestamp for this for sure). AWSOME :D Great surround use and lots of bass. One of the best DD tracks I've heard.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Yep - Fight Club is a classic. I have the 2 disc CE. Great suggestion and I'll develop a time stamp for that.

I have time stamps for Monster's Inc. already.

I do have the DTS version of SPR and it rocks. The opener and the tank buster bridge scene are fabulous. I watch SPR religiously every Veteran's Day.

I might throw in Kill Bill for the devastating DTS body slams in the opener - they really do shake the room. Variety is the spice of life in these reviews.

Daredevil DTS Bar Fight scene has some heavy infrasonics and I already developed time stamps for the PB1-ISD review. I'll definitely include that one. Love the billiard cue face hits and the dripping water hospital scene, too.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
What about Kill Bill? Some pretty brutal DTS body slams in the opening fight sequence. Or is it too bizarre?
__________________________________________________ _________

Definitely one bizarre movie. I sat down to watch it with the family and in no matter of a few minutes I had to turn it off. I will admit though. That after viewing the next day on my own,I will have to see K-B II.

Glad to hear the Hammer Rescue scene will be included.:emoji_thumbsup:

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

Bizarre? It's a straight out revenge film (and a brilliant one at that). I would like to see it included, the body slams did have some heavy bass. The anime scene when O-Ren's father is beating up the thugs has some deep hits as well.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Nick - didn't mean to come off as disparaging Kill Bill. I own it, and it is genius. Tarantino is one of the most notable non-conventional film makers of this and the last decade, IMO. I just wondered if it would seem out of place in the review, but hey - you find great bass everywhere these days. My vote is yes for Kill Bill and I'll look for some big hits in the anime section too.

Ed

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
This is about enough of this constant SPL racing. What is it about this so called power house "ultra" that makes you think it can touch the Hsu 1220 with the 800 watt amp.

Did Don Keele test your sub to 12.5 Hz... NO

Does the "Ultra" have an overdamped 6th order porting system ? (the fact I have ZERO idea what that means is irrelevant) ... NO

Besides... This is SO tiresome, like a bunch of guys with car audio subwoofers... loud loud loud... is SPL's all you guys think about ?

Why can't you guys listen for yourselves, and not buy into this thread, which is an obvious shill for SVS

We would type more, but it is time for our medication

Markotran and DDavidson

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
Is Craig joking or what? I don't usually hang around this part of the forum so maybe i'm missing the joke. :confused:

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Yes, he is most definitely joking. He's just poking fun at a few guys that frequent the AVS forum (although in truth I haven't seen Markotran surface over there for weeks). He's had a few "run in's" with them on his various subwoofer review threads in that forum.

The proverbial Sword of Damocles has been hanging over Marko's head; it was just a matter of time. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.