What's new

Taking DVD Requests For SVS PB2-Ultra Review (1 Viewer)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Well the PB2-Ultra review is lifting off and I'm taking requests for DVDs.

If you want to see "what she'll do" on a particular scene, list the DVD and the exact time stamp and I'll do my best to include it. After all, this review will be written for the fine members of HTF, so I aim to please.

To avoid duplicity, check my PB2+ review hotlinked in my signature block to see what I've already posted for that sub. There's certainly been no shortage of monster bass DVDs released since then. :) If this thread sees some decent action, I'll pick the top 10 or 15 requests.

Similar to the PB2+ review, I'll also include (to the extent they exist) waterfall hotlinks to Rudi's "The Bass Archives" website, or SVS' website, which has a bunch of recent additions.

Thanks in advance........... :emoji_thumbsup:

Regards,

Ed

Joey_V

Second Unit
for some reason, i like the part in matrix reloaded when neo flies - the part when he is at the castle in the middle of nowhere - wow, the pci just pressurized my dorm room with that one... u know when he crouches and the floor distorts... wow!

revolutions, the machine's voice is always a favorite. of course, u have the typical classics: depth charges (U571), darla and the whale (nemo), the seismic blasts in ATOC epII, almost any JP scene where the trex is involved... whew, and there's many more!!

looking forward to your review of this BEAST! ;)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Ed:

From a CD standpoint I would recommend Emerson, Lake and Palmer's Brain Salad Surgery. I don't have an exact time stamp but the low synth bass at the very beginning of the song goes really low.

I would also check out Flim and the BB's Big Notes CD in particular the song Funhouse.

Parker

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I'll break suggestions into two categories:

Newer DVDs Not In The PB2+ Review:

Matrix Reloaded
Matrix Revolutions
Open Range (great choice, Craig)
Finding Nemo

Bass Classics Already In The PB2+ Review:

U-571
SW-AOTC
JPIII

Good stuff - keep it coming guys. If you have time stamps, please list.

Thanks, Parker - Music will definitely be featured and subjectively evaluated, except possibly for the infamous Sound Hound Organ CD, where people might want to know how loud the full bore 16 Hz notes are from the 32 foot long pipes. ;)

Craig, why don't you manufacture a "business trip" to my neck of the woods, and you can be another set of ears on the music stuff.

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Ed - There are possibilities in that... when are you guys getting started ?

It would be fun to take notes... then use a lot of the same scenes and measurements for the B4+ ...

Plus it would be fun to pick your engineer's mind as to getting more from the TrueRTA stuff...

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
Haunting DTS ES Version:

Just when the start of the movie opens you get some loud low stuff. I've heard its in the 5hz variety.

Also chapter 12 or 13(I can't remember), its called "Mother" and thats part of a word that you will be using when you hear the bass
:D

The bass is really transient so you almost hear the woofers move down octaves.

Open Range is nice and Craig mentioned it. I thought the start of the movie had some nice stuff too with the thunder and Lightning.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
Here's one you don't hear much about but which is awesome with a good sub: The windstorms in Kurt Russell's "Soldier"!

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
No gots on "Soldier".

Yep, The Haunting DTS is still one of my Reference Standards for hard hitting deep bass. Maybe I'll review a few different scenes for the PB2-U vice the ones I already posted for the PB2+. The scene where the bedroom comes alive and attacks her is loaded with infrasonics and I haven't measured that one yet.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Saving Private Ryan: DTS
Titan AE: DTS
Iron Giant - battle ship scene

My favorite bass scenes are those two in Haunting: DTS also. I was literally SCARED when I heard the "Coming mother" scene. Not because it is a particularly scary scene, but because when I heard the first "thud" I almost had a heart attack :D

Will get you time stamps and a few more requests later.

Jon-C

Stunt Coordinator
Underworld
Master & Commander
Animatrix

Ed,

The great eye is upon you. Therefore, you should journey w/ Sam and Frodo and cast it into the fires of MOUNT DOOM.

;)

I know ...MY PRECIOUS...(PB2+) is ready for the BATTLE FOR MIDDLE EARTH!

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Naturally, LOTR-TTT will be included...see below

A few others I had in mind:

Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Basic
Below
Daredevil (dts)
Harry Potter – Chamber of Secrets
Hulk
Lion King – DD HT Mix
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
Pirates of the Carribean (underwater medallion)
Red Dragon (house explosion)
Terminator 3
Toy Story 2
X-Men 2
We Were Soldiers

Jon-C

Stunt Coordinator
Ed,
Unless someone else chimes in, I'll try to get my friends copy of Underworld to get some time stamps.

I guess you'll have your review up before ROTK arrives.
;)

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Knowing me, it'll be close. :b

Planning on doing the FR and THD measurements this weekend (along with maybe some 11th hour ground plane work on the PB1-ISD before I bid it adieu).

Dialing in the phase and PEQ with before/after FR measurements will be cool.

After that, it's DVD and music evals for some time...and then the dreaded "write-up", with 10,001 revisions. Yeah, May 25 sounds about right....maybe I will wait for ROTK and squeak it in as a last minute addition to an already written review. ROTK's going to have a killer bass track, that's for sure.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Hi Ed,

Maybe this was in the 2+ review but if not? The ship landing at 2:05:20 through :35 is a very intense bass loaded scene in RELOADED. Right at the end. Might be worth considering?

I just picked up M&C. I was happy to see that DTS is a option.

I'll be looking forward to your review and the style that you will do it in.

Triple Threat

Jon-C

Stunt Coordinator
May 25, 2004:

After countless hours collecting data from some of the most excruciating bass scenes known to man, Ed pauses for a moment. "This SVS BEAST hasn't even broken a sweat."

He then opens his brand new copy of ROTK and pops it into the dvd player.

As the lights dim and the New Line logo appears, Ed glances at his SVS PB-2 Ultra and stearnly states...
"BECOME WHO YOU WERE BORN TO BE."

;)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Terminator 2 - The opening sequence.

Das Boot - The depth charges going off (sorry I don't have a time stamp)

You really must get a copy of Flim and the BB's Big Notes CD. It gives you the kind of bass that thumps your chest.

Parker

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Just finished watching the first 1/2 hr of M&C. Beware! I think a HT seat-belt might be in order for themmm tharrr cannons.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.