Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Sounds like MS is aiming to avoid the fragmentation issue:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/10/windows-phone-android-fragmentation/

If this is true the question becomes can Android put the genie back in the bottle and get the same deal that MS and Apple are apparently able to command wrt bloatware and other carrier shenanigans?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Who is "Android" to re-box Pandora? That's the problem: there is no "Android" in the same control sense of MS and Apple.

Can Google do direct updates? No. Because noone uses stock Android; Sense and Motoblur and etc. must all be updated before being pushed to users' phones.

Can Samsung and Motorola and HTC and etc. each have the clout to do direct updates to the users, regardless of the carrier(s)?

Does Google even care?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm not talking about the bundles so much as the inability to put major OS releases on to existing phones.

Does Google care that a significant chunk of their user base will have to wait until they get to their 'new every two' contract renewal period to get the latest OS firmware in their hands? I would think they should!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

I'm not talking about the bundles so much as the inability to put major OS releases on to existing phones.

Does Google care that a significant chunk of their user base will have to wait until they get to their 'new every two' contract renewal period to get the latest OS firmware in their hands? I would think they should!

So am I.

Can Google do direct updates? I don't think so, because e.g. HTC won't roll out their version of Android 2.3 until Sense 2.3 is available. Is this not so?

So does e.g. HTC take control to push its Android / Sense 2.3 update to its users, independent of carrier desires?

And as you ask, does Google even care?

For that matter: will all Androd phones released in the past 12 months get Android 2.3? Will phones from 24 months ago get any portion of 2.3? Will today's phones get next year's 3.0? I have complete confidence my iPhone 4 will get most of iOS 5 next summer. But if I just bought a Droid DuperSuper, I don't know if I should expect a major OS upgrade in a year?

(Aside: I'm interested in how this goes, having talked about iOS upgrades with a friend. He's quite annoyed with Apple's approach to do partial OS upgrades to older phones -- like no multitasking to the iPhone 3, even though it can do it, as seen on JB'd phones. So he's increasingly attracked to to Android. Except, as I see it, Apple kills Google on this. So far, any Android phone older than 9 months old is SOL, yet Apple upgrades 24-month old phones. And you can still buy a new Android phone locked to 1.6! Apple, any new phone runs iOS 4. This might change with the new, powerful Android phones and Android 2.3 and forward. But as of today, Apple sets the standard, and is far and away the leader in providing upgrades for users.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by Sam Posten

OUCH

http://gizmodo.com/5686161/samsung-galaxy-tab-review-a-pocketable-train-wreck

That's about the worst-written review I've read. Was it scrawled out on the bus by a third-grader on the way to school, knowing if this homework assignment was late, he'd have to take a note home to be signed by his mom and then get grounded from the Wii for a week?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Granted, Giz IS proudly the most yellow of yellow tech journalism out there, and even Engadget's Topolsky called them on lame writing today.... But still, that review's gonna leave a mark even if it isn't 100% true, that will by a big perception to overcome.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
It was an interesting review. But terribly, terribly written. Not even yellow journalism: I'm talking grammatical errors, lousy formatting. It was very slapdash.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
It's actually happened twice, once in another post that killed me. I type it up, get almost to where I want, and I flip to another website to copy/paste in a quote. I came back here to paste it in, and walla! The moment I hit "paste" the whole damn post went away and all I had left was the paste. Control-Z does nothing and didn't bring it back either. Infuriating. Oh well, I said what I wanted to say for the most part in another thread ;) I combined most of what I was trying to say here: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/289408/blu-ray-and-apple/60#post_3749402

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Adam L noted a similar thing happening two nights ago in The Good Wife thread: forum spontaneously rest and dumped a big post.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Hitting escape by accident also kills entire posts on some machines, I've done that a number of times and wanted to karate chop someone at Huddler. Try it, put any amount of text in a reply box and hit escape... It doesn't do it here on this box but it does it on my mac at home...

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Not in Firefox 3.6 on WinXP.

But I can believe it. The reply box is an odd creature. Still don't understand the over-written, right-click menu. Someone's got a weird little power trip going on for browser usage.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I tried switching mine over to the bb box, but then all the inserts don't work.. you can't get an option to insert video etc and there is no full editing option, so the BB box, while way more understandable gives you none of the features.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
If my post starts running over a couple of paragraphs, I will copy all the text and finish it in notepad if it occurs to me. I have had entire multi-paragraph posts wiped out when my browser starting hanging after clicking SUBMIT.

BTW, I bought my wife an ipod touch 4 for her birthday last month, and she absolutely loves it (although I don't know how much of that love is for the ipod and how much of that is for Angry Birds, since that's 99% of her time spent). I really wanted to get her an Android tablet, but nothing timed out or priced out well enough.

I got to thinking about the 7" tablet and came to the conclusion that my Evo has 95% of the same functionality but is also much more portable. So I'm probably not even going to look at tablets until Gingerbread comes out. But then again, I'll probably have a 4.3" phone with Gingerbread at that time, so unless there's something really compelling about the tablet, I may pass on that too.

Now, if something comes out and breaks the $300 price barrier, then all bets are off.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Take that, wallet! http://m.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-gadgeteer/verizon-wireless-really-screwed-up-the-samsung-tab-with-pricing-and-policy/4153 Verizons billing for Tab will bleed you dry, including $35 reconnect fee if you don't renew 3G service each month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks