What's new

Take that Atkins (1 Viewer)

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Wow! This study lasted an entire three months and was only tested on 34 66 year old men who didn't exercise![sarcasm] This obviously removes all possible doubt about the whopping success of this diet.[/sarcasm]

I'm nt a huge advocate of any particular diet, but these numbers seem pretty small. This is more of a "Anti-Atkins" article than a study of a new successful diet.

I however, am still waiting for the pizza & chocolate milkshake diet.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
It is funny how every store and restaurant now has to worry about "Atkins approved" stuff. Even Subway, a sandwhich place!

It was the same way with vegatarianism, and then everyone realised that you can eat meat and be healthy, surprise surprise.

I also think it's cute how people are pro or anti-Atkins. Is the country going to be divided into blue states (low carb) and red states (high carb, low fat)?

What so many folks forget is that weight loss is real simple: cut calories. It doesn't matter where the calories come from! As long as you expend more than you take in, you will lose weight. That's it. If you burn 15000 cals a week and consume 14000, you will lose a pound (very rough estimate, of course). It doesn't make a difference in terms of weight loss if the 14000 calories comes from 30 steaks, 15 slices of wonder bread, or 4 Ho-Hos.

The hardest part of weight loss is keeping it off. The mistake many make is more about eating too much or too little meat, it's about not realising the big picture. What about after weight loss? To be healthy, you have to reinvent the way you think about and eat food. Don't go on diets, eat better. For some that may mean cutting some carbs, others can do it without meat. We can cater it to our tastes and it usually takes a lot of time until you can figure out what works best.

I personally have chosen to go with as balanced a diet as possible, which includes carbs (as much complex with as little as simple), meat (usually poultry or fish), and lots of raw fruits and veggies. Doing this for two months along with regular exercise (weights and cardio) has reduced my waist by one size. Weight loss will be slow, but he slower you go the easier it is to keep it off. And I will never have to "go back" to "normal" eating. No pills, shakes, or bars, either. Just will-power, effort, and patience, and the Atkins marketing empire and all these pointless studies can stuff it.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen

Garrett summed up my thoughts nicely.

I'm not an Atkins worshipper. However I have done the low-carb thing, and I DID lose quite a bit of weight. So I just had to say, believe what you choose to believe. I know what works for me. :)

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
i agree with you guys, my post was meant to funny in my own sense of wierd sense of humor...

my diet consists of lots of exercise (weights and cardio) and eating/drinking whatever i feel like...

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
I think a lot of people don't understand the carb-insulin connection. With the numbers of type II diabetics dramatically increasing, there are also huge increases in people with insulin resistance (pre-diabetes, essentially). For these people, moderating carbs is crucial and often eating very few carbs is necessary to lose weight. I'm insulin resistant myself and only got diagnosed beacause it's the source of my infertility. . .obviously most people who are IR have no idea, until of course it develops into full-blown diabetes.

For so-called "normal" people, exercise and limiting calories may be all it takes. However, if you're insulin resistant it's not just about the caloric intake, it's also the carb levels. A low-carb diet (not Atkins, though, another diet aimed specifically for people with IR) is all I needed to lose 30 pounds in the last 6 months with very little additional effort. A lot of people who saw huge successes with Atkins were probably IR to some degree, though I'm sure it works for people who aren't as well. For those that low-fat, high-carb works, it's probably because they're not IR. Knowing whether you are or not makes a huge different in determining which type of diet is best for you.

Erik.Ha

Supporting Actor
Screw the article... 6 months on Atkins and -30 pounds here.... :emoji_thumbsup:

I wouldn't mind to lose 10 or 20 more, but I'm in no rush.

John Stone

Supporting Actor
I hate reading about diets like these. All these restrictive diets are so unnecessary. Humans require ALL THREE macronutrients in order to be healthy. Good health and a lean, muscular physique is all about macronutrient balance and eating healthy, unprocessed foods... oh, and getting of your butt and doing some exercise. ;)

I eat 5 meals a day: stuff like steak, fruit, chicken, eggs, veggies, bread, oatmeal, milk, fish, crab, shrimp, pizza and even the occasional glass of beer or wine... and I've gone from 215 pounds and 30% body fat to 170 pounds and 8% body fat while eating all my favorite foods. Yum.

There's no reason to deprive yourself of the foods you love; take some time and learn how to eat correctly so you won't have to.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Dr. Nick: With my diet, you can eat all you want, any time you want.

Marge: And you'll lose weight?

Dr. Nick: Err..you might! It's a free country!

:D

PhillJones

Second Unit
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I however, am still waiting for the pizza & chocolate milkshake diet.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slimfast!

Sebastian

Second Unit
I am very anti Atkins, if people were smart enough to begin with, they would know how to lose wieght. Stay away from the fatty foods and exercise! As someone else mentioned it is all about total calorie intake and the amount of calories burned! No miracle in cutting carbs or any diet. Too bad the huiman brain uses carbs as it's number one fuel source.
I like the high protien, medium carb and low fat diet but my goals are different.

Good point about the Glycemic index and diabetic people.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
I feel the same way about Atkins. It's a simple equation of eating less calories than you burn. I laugh at the Atkins fad. Skinner by eating heart-attack-condusive foods? No thanks! I understand the Atkins folks eating healthier meat at least (chicken, fish, etc).

I could use to loose a couple of pounds, as I used to be stick skinny (6 ft, 140ish lbs) and now I'm more like 6ft 165ish pounds. Working a job were you sit on your ass all day at the computer does that to you - and before that in the mornings, I'm on my ass @ college.

I think if I could just give up the Mountain Dew I would be better, and get some exercise. I've cut back a lot on my sugar intake. I'm seriously convinced that pop (soda to you non-northerners) is one of the greatest reasons for our fattening america. I feel #2 is lack of exercise, and #3 is fast food.

I know there's a bunch of diet drinkers, but I can't stand nutrasweet. Plus, more than like 8 oz of diet pop makes my stomach churn weirdly. I have the attitude that man-made shortcuts will hurt you more in the long run than natural sugar, fat, etc. Not scientific, just a gut attitude.

I don't really have time for exercise, I wish I did. At least I don't really get any fatter (not since I noticed the trend).

I am amused that the Anti-atkins diet works too. It makes sense. Screwing up your body by eating an unbalanced diet should always make you lose weight, right? Whether it's low fat, low carbs, low calories, etc. I just don't think it's worth the health trade-offs.

LewB

Screenwriter

One of my friends at work swears that he lost weight by cutting out all but 1 or 2 sodas a day.
Doesn't 12oz of soda contain like 160 calories ? At 16 calories per tsp, that's 10 tsp of sugar !
Even if you trade the soda for coffee or tea and add 2 tsp of sugar to that, you are saving 130 calories each time you do this. Adds up quick !

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
One of those 20oz "thirst quencher" soda bottles contains enough sugar to equal 3.5 Hershey bars. One 12oz can is still over 2.

If you told someone you drink 3-4 sodas a day, they'd think nothing of it (in fact, have a meal at say, Applebee's, and you'll drink that much during the meal, if you get a refill). If you told someone that you ate 8-10 Hershey bars a day, they'd look at you like some pathetic freak.

Todd

Ken CG

Agent
It's this "Low-Fat, High-Carb" brainwashing that made America fat in the first place. I've been on Atkins since August and so far, I've lost 65 pounds. You don't really go off the diet either. This is not a diet either. It's a way of life. After you're close the weight you wanna be, you slowly start adding carbs to slow your weight loss down. Then when you get to where you wanna be, you add more and the loss will eventually stop. If your weight starts to go up. You back off. See? This is called the maintenance part of the diet which you would be on for life. With this, you are teaching yourself to be more responsible in your eating habits. You may think Atkins is not good for you, but listen here. Being FAT is not good for you either. It is also recommended, especially during induction, that you take a multivitamin everyday. Later in the diet, you add more fruit and veggies to your plan. I believe Atkins is safe and I refuse to listen to these "Anti-Atkins" websites.

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
Due to the highly volitile nature and somewhat cult like nature of some Atkin's fans, I will only say this:

:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks