What's new

Take it from me, be very, very careful w/ your hands-free headset.... (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Well, you were in the car, right? was the handsfree still in your ear? I mean they might not have heard much.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
sorry kevin, please know our heart goes out to ya ... and we certainly hope all turns out well.

but man...what can i tell say! :laugh:

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I can totally see how you'd be a nervous wreck. I'd definitely not try to cover it up by saying it was a joke. Your friend will see through that and may become even more enraged.

I'd leave him alone and see if he calls you about it. If he doesn't say anything, then let it go and not bring it up. But if he does say something about it, don't get defensive (or try to cover it up), just admit it and be humble, he may be more forgiving if you're honest.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I think Zen summed it up best with the

Sorry to hear and I hope everything works out but it is damn funny.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
That was a funny story and very CYE-ish :).

We had something similar happen at my workplace earlier this year when our receptionist forgot to turn off the mic for our PA system after annoucing a call to someone and proceeded to have a rant with a co-worker about how lazy and annoying this person was. So about 50 people got to eavesdrop on that conversation.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
I haven't committed this error (I think/hope!), but have been the "recipient" several times from one particular friend -- I guess it's because my name ir probably last in the "address book" of numbers, and if just the right combo of two buttons is hit ("up", then "call") while the phone's in his pocket, his phone calls me. I then get to hear some muffled sounds, have never heard anything incriminating nor interesting for that matter. I usually just hang up when the mistake is obvious, but what's silly is he's hit redial shortly thereafter and I go through it again. Sometimes I have to call him and tell him to lock the keypad... :D

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
I've been extremely cautious about my cellphone being in the car ever since the time about two years ago that I did something similar. I usually put my phone on the seat next to me while I'm driving. One afternoon, it slid halfway under the arm rest. The pressure of my arm on the rest caused one of my speed dial numbers to be pushed. As luck would have it, the phone I had at the time was good enough that the end result was a friend of mine getting a five minute long message of my wife and I talking about how stuck up he and his friends had been when we all went out the weekend before. He tried to be confrontational and guilt me into feeling bad when he called me on it, but I figured he'd been in the wrong in the first place, and luckily things worked out well in my situation. Ever since then, I make sure the keypad is locked when I'm in the car.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
My only similar experience was my wife and daughter hearing me sing Buffett tunes on the way home from work one night (I need to get back to the islands after work... even if it's only in my mind)

This will make me be a bit more cautious (and improve my singing skills).

Best of luck Kevin !

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
My mother in law is a teacher. She once accidentally called me during class, and I had a 3rd grade math lesson in my voicemail. Quite comical.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well let's be fair, you did say the guy was being a jackass lately. So really, how much are you actually losing here?

;)

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Well, my friend is officially pissed off.:frowning: I called him today and didn't bring anything up (I acted in a normal "what's up dude" fashion), but he was really short w/ me like he was in a hurry to get me off the phone. To some of you, it may sound normal like he might have been really busy, but I could tell by his tone that he's pissed. Did I make a mistake by not just putting everything in the open? Should I have not been so chicken and called him earlier? I hate personal drama, it's so not me.:frowning:

Drew Bethel

Screenwriter
Boy, that's a tough one. I think an apology and a few drinks will patch it up. Guys don't like to dwell on shit like this...so the sooner you do it the better for all.

He has probably bitched and moaned about you too...we all do it!

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i think it's time to have a large helping of humble-pie.

just own up dude. ask him point blank. tell him it's pretty clear he received the vm and maybe the two of you should talk about it. what's the worst that could happen?

oh yeah, one very important thing to remember about friendship - call it 'ted's friend rule'.

friends always do stupid things to each other.

heck, in a weird way (at least to me), that's the kind of stuff that defines and tests friendships. i don't know how many dumb things my friends have done (or i've done to them) -- but at the end of the day we're still friends.

if this guy is being a total ass and not cutting you any slack, then fuggum. yeah, you deserve a berating, but he shouldn't pound you into the ground either.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
You fucked up, call him, arrange a meeting in neutral territory (a bar?) and sincerely apologize. Tell him your friendship matters to you, that you care about him and that we want to work on restoring trust between you two.

Then gear up for the mother of all make-up sex.

On second thought, nevermind.

--
H

Jason_Els

Screenwriter

Yup! This is your bad. Take your lumps like a man and own up to it. And if you do end-up at a bar, YOU are buying. A "Hey, what up?" is bullshit and both of you know it. Explain that you were so worried that you couldn't bring yourself to mention it the last time you called. Time to be open, honest, humble, and sincere. No more bullshit. You owe it to him.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Once, when I was in college, my roommate and I went to go eat in the dining hall.. Well we split up a bit in the food section and my friend got a table. When I paid and went to go find him, for some strange reason, I sat down at the wrong table with a complete stranger. Was having a small conversation for a bit before I realized the person I was sitting with wasn't my roommate... D'oh! Fortunately, nothing juicy was said other than smalltalk like "What's up?" and stuff...

jay

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Ditto. If he's really your friend, he'll forgive you. Just give him some time.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Put yourself into his position and try to imagine how he feels. You called him up a few days after leaving that hurtful message, pretending that everything is normal between the two of you. From his point of view, you were just "acting" friendly when you really think he's been a big jackass lately and has an arrogant wife. It would've been so much better had you told him about it, and explain your reason for why you think he's been a jackass lately, which I think he wouldn't have much of a problem with since it's just a temporary state (not sure about your view of his wife though). I think you've digged yourself a bigger hole now.

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks