What's new

T2: Extreme Edition info (1 Viewer)

Michael Hall

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think I'll be picking up this "Extreme Edition" of T2 myself, as I'm perfectly happy with the (Pen)Ultimate Edition. Since I'm probably a long way off from getting a widescreen television (damned student loans), the edge enhancement doesn't really bother me. And since I've only watched the film twice in the two years I've had it, I can't justify shelling out another 20 bucks for it, when the edition I've got has just about everything you could hope for.

More power to those of you who are going to get this new version of T2, but I'll be spending my money on something else.

John CW

Supporting Actor
I thought the UE had a superb picture, probably reference, I wonder how much better this one could be? (drools...)

~ Johnny

Jeff Bamberger

Second Unit
I'm a little confused....

Is this going to be the "special edition" cut, or the "extended special edition" cut? You know, the old title 2 or title 3 on the UE disc......

I think the UE looks ok, but that is just me and my 27" Sony talking. I would have to say I probably won't get this new version unless it blows away the video of the UE.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I think I'll wait for analysis of this disc before I buy. If the transfer is super clean, I might... if it looks like Stargate UE, I'll pass.

I don't know why Artisan didn't go for a new DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 remix as they did with Stargate (a mediocre film) or even just a better DTS 5.1 track (they've been adding DTS to more titles lately). That would have been icing on the cake!

Also, it looks like Cameron has come back to life if he's involved in this edition of T2 and Aliens for Fox. Perhaps that means he's ready for a Titanic Director's Cut (the only reason I'd buy it) and True Lies Special Edition.

Dan

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
Just think of this as a 4-disc set like Brazil, only with an additional bonus disc! This can't be a worse double-dip than the upcoming 9-disc Alien Quadilogy set.
But their actually doing something very special with the Alien set...a new DC of Alien3...5 discs of Extras...cant beat that....

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H

I was referring to the films of the franchise changing hands from film to film EXACTLY as you went on to point out. One studio has T1, another T2, and another T3.

That's why I'm not sure we'll see a free T3 movie pass. Why would Artisan give you a pass to a WB film?

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Hey folks, quit beating up on Stargate. :) I enjoy that film more than T2 any day. I just wish the Ultimate Edition had been completely free of EE. Still I'll watch it a lot more since the new DVD doesn't look horrendous like the old ones.

I like T2, but after watching it I don't feel like I need to watch it again for a year or 2.

I'm a big Cameron fan, but I rank T2 toward the bottom of his big films. I much prefer Aliens, The Abyss, and the original Terminator.

If Cameron is resurrecting himself, they should get him to helm an Alien 5. It would actually be worth seeing.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
This is one time where I can definitely say I'll wait for the HD-DVD. Twice is enough for me in SD!!

I doubt that even this transfer will be free from EE. Prove me wrong Artisan!

-dave

WillG

Senior HTF Member
"But their actually doing something very special with the Alien set...a new DC of Alien3"

Not to shift the focus of this thread, but who said there was going to be a DC of Alien 3 in the Quadrology set?

Robert Franklin

Stunt Coordinator
I won't be buying this one again. I bought it when it first came to DVD, then I bought the Ultimate Edition, and now they manage to come up with the Extreme Edition. I understand why someone would want to buy it based on the commentaries and the frame-by-frame restoration and the mere fact that it is sourced from HD is very tempting. But, to be honest, why purchase this title once again, and you may still want to own it when it comes to some form of HD-DVD. For those who are fortunate to have the D-VHS, the only thing they don't have is a commentary, with some other features that will probably included in the Extreme Edition.

I hate to say this but, No DTS, no sale for me.

Andy_MT

Second Unit
What Artisan says sets this one apart is a new frame-by-frame digital restoration and 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer downconverted from a new hi-def master
exactly what the little ****ers should have done the first time round (UE) !!!! :angry:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I'm probably just going to wait and see, too. If the transfer is much improved then I'll give it a shot.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I'm buying it. Definitely. Under $16 on DeepDiscountDVD, already preordered. Is it 1- or 2-disc set? Plus the UE had DTS, so that's not a reason to not get it. It's cheap, has better transfer, new extras, and most important - a Cameron commentary (his first?). This is a must to accompany my metal-case UE.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
If true, won't this be the first screen specific commentary Cameron has ever recorded?

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I'm wondering about this myself, I have seen no confirmation yet that it will in fact be screen specific. I thought Cameron didn't do commentary. I will be dissapointed if it turns out to be a pieced together commentary. It would better than nothing, but I just don't think they are quite the same

DavidAC

Stunt Coordinator
Well the audio commentary is tempting but not tempting enough, also no theatrical version? I didn't care much of special edition cut and with mostly a rehash of elements from the UE this would be a waste of money for me. No sale.

So what comes after "extreme"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks