T2: Extreme Edition info

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MattHR, Mar 18, 2003.

1. MattHR

MattHR Screenwriter

According to Video Store Magazine (3/18/03):

James Cameron speaks!

The director contributes a rare feature-length audio commentary in T2: Extreme DVD, Artisan Home Entertainment’s third disc outing with Cameron’s Terminator 2: Judgment Day, one that surpasses the supplier’s two prior editions in terms of transfer and extras.

The two-disc set is due in stores June 3 at $29.98. Prebook is May 6.

Terminator 2 has received a new 1080p high-definition anamorphic widescreen transfer for the Extreme edition, as well as a frame-by-frame restoration that Artisan says makes the 1991 hit look better than when it premiered in theaters.

The version presented in the set is the special edition version of the movie that contains 16 minutes of footage that did not appear in theaters.

Joining Cameron in the audio commentary is co-writer William Wisher.

Special features in the set include an Extreme Interactive Mode, providing behind-the-scenes footage and graphic commentary providing insight into decisions during the film’s shoot.

Other features include “No Feat But What We Make,” a new documentary highlighting T2’s role in the development of digital effects and modern filmmaking; “T2: On the Set,” a retrospective montage that includes rare production footage; “Infiltration Unit Simulator and T2 FX Studio,” a primer on image “morphing” that allows one to graft one’s own head shot onto a T800 or T1000 Terminator; and “Skynet Combat Chassis Designer,” with which one can construct and field-test a Terminator fighting machine.

The movie disc will include a Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX audio track and a Dolby headphone audio track.

2. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

...must fight temptation...must fight temptation...

3. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Mark, that's exackly what I'm thinking!! Are the T2:UE extras on the disc? Also notice that the movie is the SPECIAL EDITION ONLY!!! It is not the theatrical version. The press announcement implies that.

4. Damin J Toell

Damin J Toell Producer

Damin J. Toell
    No reason for me to fight the temptation. A full-length commentary by Cameron is enough for me to buy this film again.

DJ

5. Rolando

Rolando Screenwriter

HA HA HA! A kick in the teeth to all those who love bitching about "oh no not another re-release". I will definitely buy it again.

God I wish the naggers would just not buy it without posting a million times how horrible this is. they are robbing us!

can't take your money if you don't buy it Colombo. Don't want it? Don't get it. I want that commentary. I want that new transfer. commentary did not exist before. is there another way for me to get it? NO. so... off to buy it when it comes out.

6. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Just when I though I was out...they pull me back in!

I'm such a commentary whore that I can't help but buy this. I sure hope someone at Artisan feels dirty about this.

7. Adam_WM

Adam_WM Screenwriter

DAMMIT DAMMIT DAMMIT. I didn't want to buy this, but now I have to. THIS IS SO RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Steven_Ma

Steven_Ma Agent

Damn no dts? [​IMG]

9. Aaron Cohen

Aaron Cohen Second Unit

So....I'm guessing that this new transfer might not have ugly EE again?

10. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    How are they getting 1080p picture out of a DVD? I thought max resolution was 540 on DVDs. I bitched about re-releases, but I think I will eat my words and buy this one. The commentary is the big sell for me.

11. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

George,
    I think they're talking about the source. The DVD will still be within specs, but the source material will be hi-def.

12. Cavan.B

Cavan.B Stunt Coordinator

13. Dave H

Dave H Producer

So, this is a new transfer? I thought it was the same one. I'm excited now! I think the current transfer is average at best for today's standards. Can't wait! Time to put the UE on Ebay and get back 75%-85% of what I paid for it. [​IMG]

14. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

glad to hear about the new transfer. i've been tempted recently to finally get the UE, as it's only C$20 at HMV now. but now it's definitely the XE. i don't care about extras on either version. and DD-EX is not that bad a compensation for a new transfer.

15. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

Those dirty bastards at Artisan, they've done everything I required for a double dip. New transfer, Cameron commentary, and exclusive extras. When will it end?!?

16. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Wait a minute...there are *three* versions of the movie on the UE...and just one on the XE. Doesn't seem like a total replacement for me. Damn...I have to buy this anyway, it's one of my favorite movies. But no dts? Leaves room for a better version still... How much of a sucker for this movie am I...release day will tell.

17. Danny Arvesen

Danny Arvesen Auditioning

Count me in - another addition to my "DVDs to buy" list.

18. Dave H

Dave H Producer

In all honesty, I didn't think the DTS track was any better than the DD version on THIS DVD. I did several comparisons and I couldn't tell. I'm sure this new transfer is going to look great.

19. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    That's why they should redo the dts soundtrack, the PQ on the UE was not very good either, and they're re-doing that. I do care about the sound. I'll probably buy the Terminal version when they do that too...if I'm still alive.

20. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer