What's new

Symphonic Metal - Dutch (1 Viewer)

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Ron, there are two copies up on eBay NOW with a "Buy It Now" option. I bought one of them. It's being shipped from Russia, so who knows if I'll ever get it or if my PayPal account will get hacked (I'm kidding...kinda).

New Sirenia next week, New Visions of Atlantis and Within Temptation next month, new Leaves' Eyes in April, new Midnattsol soon after...will the new Nightwish come out this year, do you think? It's a great year for Symphonic Metal...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks for the heads up Don. I ordered up a copy and it's on it's way now. The one I bid on, I lost so it worked out perfectly.

Looking forward to Sirenia and Leaves' Eyes, not Within Temptation though, not a big fan and this latest offering doesn't impress me enough to buy it when it streets. I do think, at least hope Nightwish gets their new album out this year, all indications are pointing that direction. At least from following their website.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I'm quite taken with the new Sirenia. It sounds exactly like "The 13th Floor," maybe even MORE "commercial," so no surprises here. They seem to be more of a "project" than an actual band these days, seeing as Morten and Ailyn are the only musicians listed in the liner notes.

My Narwhal Tusk hasn't arrived yet...can't wait...

My only fear is that there's now a movie being made called "Imaginarium" that's directly tied into/based on the forthcoming Nightwish album. The film isn't due out until 2012, and I'm fearing the album won't be available until then, either

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just received my copy of Narwhal Tusk "In Despair" today. Loading it into iTunes now and then I'll give it a listen. I'm quite excited.

It arrived very well packed up, thing is, you have to supply the jewel case. It came with all the inserts and a booklet just no case.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I haven't received mine yet...But I have heard the whole thing already. I have to warn you, I've heard a bunch of other "hard to find" stuff that I'm scouring the 'net for CDs.

I managed to get a copy of "Moonlight Daughter" by a Russian symphonic/goth band called AnDem (short for Angel Demon). The singer has a great voice, but the lyrics are all in Russian (doesn't bother me a bit). The adorable keyboard player also doubles as their manager. Check out these Nightwish covers:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUhVkrVhTBg&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPo7kAfSUeQ&

And one of their own songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAw-zfh15Xs&

While we're still in Eastern Europe, I've been DYING to get a hold of THIS Czech Republic band (I LOVE this song):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMgyOGsFFs0&

Should I keep pointing out new bands?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Don Giro

The singer has a great voice, but the lyrics are all in Russian (doesn't bother me a bit).

Should I keep pointing out new bands?
I can under stand that. While my love for symphonic metal knows no bounds so does my love for pop music and Alizee is one of my favorites. She's French and I cannot understand a word she's singing but I can listen to her all day long.

And yes, please keep'em coming. I don't have much time to source out bands so I appreciate all you bring to this thread Don.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
You mean AnDem? I was able to get a copy from CM Distro. I checked again the other day, and it's out of stock. My copy of the CD is on a Dutch label, and the "playable" side of the CD is laser etched with the name of the band and the label. Gorgeous! As good as AnDem are, I like Narwhal Tusk better.

Speaking of which, Ron, my Narwhal Tusk CD arrived today. Mine did indeed come in a jewel case, and was wrapped in three taped layers of cardboard. Opening the package reminded me of a Russian "nesting doll!" :) We probably bought from different eBay sellers...

I don't know much about Alizee's music, but I could sure LOOK at her all day! Day-umm! Now, if ONLY I could get a hold of that Innocens CD!

Moving onto Slovenia, this is Infidia. I've heard a few tracks, and I'm very impressed:

From Italy, this is my next CD purchase. Ancient Bards...what great melodies, and I LOVE the singer's look!

As for pop music, I know I've mentioned Indica before, but I find them completely infectious. The singer (Jonsu) writes all the music and lyrics, and Tuomas Holopainen of Nightwish produced their last two albums (and wrote the lyrics to "Precious Dark.") There are ZILLIONS of vids on YouTube. They make Britney Spears sound like Slayer. Jonsu plays violin (!) as well...

BfqJsYGTCeQ[/media] ] (In Finnish, from their "Valoissa" album)
mYxXvTpjwDw[/media] ] (In English, from their latest "A Way Away")

And I KNOW I've published this link before, but I discovered Indica through Jonsu singing (and playing violin on) the Nightwish INSTRUMENTAL "Last of the Wilds" from "Dark Passion Play":

If you want to see how adorable the rest of the band are (even though Jonsu sounds about 12 years old on it)

Despite how it looks in the video, the band really DOES play live...

That's enough for now! Time to enjoy the Narwhal Tusk CD!

[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]EDIT: The AnDem CD is available through the record company's website, but it doesn't seem very cost-effective in the long run:[/COLOR]
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 255)]AnDem[/COLOR]

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
Originally Posted by Aaron Silverman

Indica are the Go-Go's of Euro-metal. :)
Well said, and exactly my thoughts on them...but if I had mentioned the Go-Gos in advance, would you have clicked those links...?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I actually like the Go-Go's. (Yeah, I said it! :) ) Remember, they started out as a post-punk garage rock band.

I am really digging Ancient Bards. And their CD is even on Amazon!

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I'm buying Ancient Bards at Amazon as soon as I can find something else I want to get the free Super Saver shipping. Maybe I'll pre-order the new Visions of Atlantis and wait the extra week...

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
hmmm...I sampled some Ancient Bards on Youtube, not sure I can share you're enthusiasm. I like the music, but the lead vocals, she just doesn't do anything for me. Seems her style of singing doesn't really fit the music playing.

Oh, I recently stumbled upon Antoria a Goth Symphonic Metal band from Sweden, I kinda like it. You could put it in the same category of Evanescence, a bit on the mellow side of Symphonic Metal.

God has a plan for us all...

That's What the Wise Lady Said...

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I have "God Has a Plan for Us All." Sarah Jezebel Deva is also a solo artist, and has guest appearances on many artists' albums, most notably Cradle of Filth's "Nymphetamine" (the more 'Goth' version).

Are you familiar with a band called Imperia ? Their third album is due soon, and it's worth noting that the band is fronted by Helena Iren Michaelsen, who was formerly the lead singer for Epica (before Simone) while they were still called Sahara Dust. Their "Queen of Light" album is pretty good...

In the next day or two, I'm going to point you guys to links for free MP3 compilations (TOTALLY legal with the blessing of all artists involved), including one ambitious project you'll be quite imprssed with...

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
You are a scholar and a gentleman!

On a related note, check the Amazon Gold Box for some free compilation downloads, including a 25-track Relapse Records metal sampler.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Don Giro

In the next day or two, I'm going to point you guys to links for free MP3 compilations (TOTALLY legal with the blessing of all artists involved), including one ambitious project you'll be quite imprssed with...
Don? Don? You around? The next day or two, you trying to slowly burn up all our patience?

As for my recent purchase, God has a plan for us all, I am loving it. Been listening to it pretty much non-stop for the last several days. Fantastic album and I do love Sarah's voice.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I didn't forget, I just got sideswiped by life...

I'm a member at the Chalice of Femme Metal forum (I don't visit very often because it's sensory overload as far as color schemes and picture-signatures, etc.), but they have a free MP3 compilation available called "Chalice of Obsidian). This compilation has the full support of the artists involved. Here's the track listing:

1. Salvation by Apparition
2. Forgotten Hero by Akoma
3. Tristan by Pythia
4. Shadows On The Tide by Tainted Grace
5. Andromeda by Omega Lithium
6. To I Your Conscience by Mask Of Judas
7. My Endarkend Self by Fateless Tears
8. Kerosene by Rhode Island Red
9. Hellequin by Therion
10. World Of Glass (live in Stuttgart 2005) by Tristania*

It's worth the download...I've linked to the site where the "album" can be downloaded, which is here . This way you can avoid the forum altogether...

The forum is not a bad place if you can deal with all the visual distractions, but be warned that the majority of members seem to be on the very young side...

As for the "more ambitious project" I mentioned; that will have to wait until next week. I'm not torturing you, it's just not available yet...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks