Switching between 2 DVD players

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack Ferry, Nov 20, 2005.

1. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    It's time to improve the presentation when guests stop by for a movie at our home theater. Specifically, I want to show a short or cartoon before the main feature, with the ability to quickly switch from one DVD to another. I currently use one DVD player and don't/can't run the video through my receiver (HK AVR 125). I'd like to add a second DVD player and a simple inexpensive remote controlled switching box.

Any suggestions?

2. SteveLeach

SteveLeach Stunt Coordinator

That would be cool, it'd be even better if it did a fade to black while it switched between DVD players.

3. Tom C

Tom C Stunt Coordinator

Hook it directly to your TV. Being that it is a cartoon or some short that won't be of any significant sound/picture quality, you would just switch your video input on your TV to your primary and you're good to go.

4. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry
    That wouldn't work for me since I use a projector and my inputs are already used up.

Well, actually, my s-video input is open. I guess I could use that. I should have an open input on the receiver also. Maybe I'll give it a try and see how it works out.

5. Brian Osborne

Brian Osborne Stunt Coordinator

What about upgrading your current DVD player? If I'm not mistaken, you can do this with a DVD/HDDR combo. You could simply have the short on the HDD.
    I am getting a Tosh xs54, and I was hoping to do the same thing. You don't have to go as far as that, but I would think that any of the combos would do that.
    Something to think about...

6. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry
    Picked up a $29 Toshiba SD-3980 during Black Friday madness at Best Buy. I'll give it a try with the S-video connection and see if the picture quality is sufficient.

(But it'll have to wait - wife won't let me open my presents until Christmas!)

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Tell her it isn't a Christmas present! [​IMG]