What's new

Switch to Blu-ray or upgrade DVD player? (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member

Here's where I guess I should have been more clear... I don't think the scaling of an upconverting player is going to be the magic bullet... what very well may be is the replacement of a D-A conversion (by an extremely subpar player, mind you) and subsequent A-D conversion by his display with a direct digital path... whether it's native 480i for his display to convert, or converted by the player, it's the fact that you're eliminating two D-A/A-D conversions (likely of poor quality).

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Harp away, I don't mind
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Good point considering the likelihood that his Citizen brand player would have very subpar analog output. I wouldn't think recent Panny plasmas would have poor ADC for the application (of handling SD video), but I guess it's always possible. There seems to be enough reports of good results w/ D-A-D conversions for HD video (for both BD and other HiDef STBs) to suggest that any degradation would probably be minimal w/ the bigger name makers like Panny, et al. But yeah, the (old) Citizen player would likely be another story.

Also, I guess there's still the matter of quality of deinterlacing in the Panny plasma -- it's probably still quite possible that a recent one would have subpar deinterlacing, but if it's gonna be noticeable/distracting, he'd probably spot it even w/ the Citizen player (and could just add that to the shortlist of improvements).

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks