What's new

"Sweeney Todd" with Tim Burton and Johnny Depp (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
That did turn out well, though. When most people think of Eliza Dolittle, they think of Hepburn. That's because even though she didn't sing the majority of the songs, she acted every moment and completely and utterly captured the transformation of that character.
As far as musical performances go, Hepburn is certainly no slouch.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Right, but the problem is, that no matter how good My Fair Lady is, and it's wonderful, Warner Brothers should have recognized the greatness of the material and cast Julie Andrews, who originated the role, instead. She would've been far better in the part, because her speaking role and singing voice would have matched perfectly. I love My Fair Lady and Audrey Hepburn, but the songs don't even sound like Hepburn is singing them.

I love Johnny Depp, too. But I guarantee you someone out there is more deserving of the role. Sweeney Todd is such a great work of art, it doesn't matter who they cast in the roles as long as they can sing them.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
I think Johnny Depp would be totally miscast as Sweeney. Johnny looks to young with his little boy face. I hope they give it to Russell Crowe who was said to be looking at the script.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
When will Hollywood learn how to make musicals? They should have learned from the bombs of the late 60's and up until today that with musicals, even great actors like Johnny Depp are just not right without a decent singing voice. Lucille Ball in Mame, Peter O'Toole in Man of La Mancha, Clint Eastwood in Paint Your Wagon, Madonna in Evita, (to name a few) and I am afraid Johnny will be added to that list. While I think some of those I listed did a decent acting job, none could really sing the roles as they were written. (I might add that Madonna has a decent singing voice, but the requirements for Evita were way beyond her range).

And now I am reading that they are planning for 2007 a new 3 hour tv movie of the musical MAME...and who are they considering above all others? CHER! Didn't they already ruin that wonderful musical once with the same type of casting with the hoarsy voice and lack of elegance that the role demands?

I don't think Hollywood will dub a voice anymore, so I suspect Johnny's voice it just might be :frowning:

Pardon my anger, but my favorite entertainment in the world are musicals, and it's sad to see Hollywood ruining the catagory again, after it got a small chance at revival on screen after Chicago. I DO believe, though, that Tim Burton would be a great director for this.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
If Burton directs what are the odds of Helena Bonham Carter (Mrs Tim Burton in real life) playing Miss Lovett?

Don't know if she can sing but she might be an interesting choice. Or maybe she would be better as the beggar woman.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Well, the part Cohen would play isn't really that large, and that little article makes it out to be something more substantial than it is in the stage show. Of course, I haven't seen how the film adapation would work, but the whole thing with Pirelli is really rather peripheral to the main thrust of the story's plot.

Greg_M

Screenwriter
"If Burton directs what are the odds of Helena Bonham Carter (Mrs Tim Burton in real life) playing Miss Lovett? "

Odds were pretty good.

Helena Bohnam Carter will be playing Mrs. Lovette in the film, announced today. I had a strong feeling she's get cast. esp. playing opposite Johnny Depp. A true Burton family film.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
First pics of Depp as Sweeney:

Although, with the recent incident with his daughter(?) is the film still on schedule?

In any case, interesting if a little "clean" looking for my tastes. Though I still feel there were far more appropriate actors for the part I'll be interested to see the angle Depp takes the character, he can be done so many ways, insane, maniacal, frightenely calculating, misguided, etc.

Marianne

Supporting Actor
I'm afraid he looks like a cross between Ichabod Crane and Edward Scissorhands. Hopefully he can come up with a new character.

Everyone is assuming he can't sing - any evidence of that?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I heard johnny had a band when he was younger before becoming an actor.

I don;t know people would think that he could not sing.

Jacob

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Sweeney needs to be played by a baritone. I don't know if Depp can pull it off. Sasha Coen say's he can't sing so Burton is going to let him do his part as a rap. If you can't sing it the way Sondheim arranged it, don't be in the movie!

I hate musicals but I love Sweeney Todd. It is the only Broadway cast album I own.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member

This week's Entertainment Weekly made reference to the film coming in 2008, though it could have been a typo.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter

Do you mean Sasha Coen can't sing and his part is going to be as a rap or do you mean Coen says Depp can't sing and his part is going to be as a rap? If it's Coen that will be rapping, he's playing Pirelli who really only has one song in the whole show - which I'm actually surprised doesn't seem to be cut from the film anyway - so it isn't THAT big a deal, and Pirelli has been done so many ways anyway, and cast as a woman in the latest revival, so it may work.

Depp rapping all of Sweeney's parts would be absolute travesty though.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
P Diddy is doing the arrangements. :)

Actually, Sasha can't sing. He will do his part as a rap. I've only seen Sweeney Todd performed live with Angela Lansbury and George Hearn so didn't know it had been done any different. I hope the music in the film is not that different than that of the original cast.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I actually think I prefer the "minimalistic" arrangements used for the Broadway revival, though I think (at least on the recording) that Patti LuPone belts too much given how "fragile" (only way I can describe them) the arrangements are.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
I know that Johnny Depp was in bands and plays guitar, indicating he might have a good musical ear. Who would have thought thet Ewan McGregor could sing as well as he did in Moulin Rouge? Surprised the hell out of me, (though my fiancee knew he sang back in Velvet Goldmine. Let's wait and see. Considering how effectively he modulates the pitch of his speaking voice for different parts, very likely he can sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks