What's new

SVS25-31CS+ SPL Meter Set Up (1 Viewer)

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Ok I have a little bit of bad Bass waves in my room and find calbration difficult due to a bouncing SPL meter needle. I have 2 SVS25-31CS+ with port tune installed running off of a Sampson1000 to a Denon2802 receiver. Should the Sampson be all the way up and just cut the Denon's DB down to an average of the bouncing needle? It was so easy with the speakers but that damn needle will not stay in place. I was watching TitanAE last night and it was crazy loud!! The ice scene was freaking nuts I thought my room was going to explode, but yet again no bottoming out. It still worries me though that my sub may be overly hot.

Ron_L

Second Unit
I recommend running the amp at full gain.

Then pad down the output level at the Receiver.

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
The spl meter is set for fast or slow? To calibrate you should set it to slow, to get the average sound level.

Jeff_Rice

Agent
Joel,

I just got my SVS 20-390CS+ with the samson 1000 amp. I have the Denon 3801 hooked up to an amp, and front speakers bi-amped. When you calibrated your system with the SPL meter, what volume on receiver did you set it at to calibrate(ex. -15,-10, etc...)?

What are volume settings per speaker (FR +2, Cnt +1, FL +2,...SW -3, etc...)

Jeff

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
denon2802 set to 00
Sampson all the way up
r=-4
l=-6
c=-6
rs=-5
ls=-3
sub=-10

Don't use mine though a lot of factors come into play I also have a dual 25-31cs+ combo and have a parasound855 and parasound2003.

Jeff_Rice

Agent
Joel,

I set my volume on my Denon to -15 and calibrated everything to around 75-77 on my SPL meter. Here are my channel volume settings:
r=+5
l=+4
c=+1
rs=+8
ls=+8
sub=-2

Is this correct or seem correct?

My system:
front speakers: Polk RT800's (bi-amped)
center: CS400 (bi-wired and speaker wire is sent to amp)
rear: RT55's (hooked up to receiver)
rear center: RT35's (hooked up to receiver)
SVS 20-39CS+ w/Samson 1000watt amp (samson set to 0db)
Everything is set to small;

-Denon 3801 receiver
-Harmon Kardan 2.1 (5 channel amp...100 watts...high current)
-Pioneer DV-525 DVD player (will upgrade when there will be a digital connection (not 5 analog interconnects..too many damn interconnects) for SACD and DVD-Audio.))
-Audioquest interconnects and speaker wire.
-36" TV that is VE calibrated (will be upgraded when everybody figures what is the standard for HD)

Room size is 23x11x8.

your help is much appreciated.

Jeff Rice

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Well if you set those babies up with Video Essentials then they seem about right. If you use Avia go up to 85 but if that is to loud for you just leave it as is. You could use your internal speaker tones though I strongly recommend a calibration disk. That should work just fine now throw in some heavy bass scenes and see what it sounds like :) Also if you decide to bump up your woofer to "hot" be extra careful so it doesn't bottom..

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
I find myself changing the port tune every other week because I can't make up my mind. I like the freq lower but it takes away some SPL so I am so undecided.

Jeff_Rice

Agent
Joel,

Thanks for the reply.

What volume do you watch movies on your denon(-10, etc...)?

My SVS is nout hugley loud but you can feel the bass much more than my old Velodyne CT-120.

When you got your SVS was it night/day to your old sub or did it take some time to get used to the new sound?

Jeff

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
Well I was watching TitanAE the other day and my room sounded like it was going to EXPLODE and I was -10 under reference. Remember I have two which is a 6DB increase that translates into more then double the volume. If you hit the second light on the Samp often then you are probably cabibrated right. I've gone into the red zone and heard no bottoming so I'm not worried. It was a night and day diffrence from my old Rava.

JoelM

Stunt Coordinator
If it's not enough run your sub "hot" increase it 3-4db if you are below reference. You should be ok doing this regardless.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks