SVS Ultra vs. PB2+ ?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JackS, Jul 12, 2003.

1. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

It may be a little too soon to ask but, has anyone upgraded from the Ultra to the PB2+? I was wondering how the single premium driver in the Ultra compared with the dual Plus drivers in the PB2+ . I did do a search but didn't find anything. Thanks, Jack

2. Edward J M

Edward J M Cinematographer

Jack:

A quote from Tom Vodhanel, SVS designer:

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Well Jack I just took my AV15 out of the mix and put 450 watts to each of my 25-31 CS+'s and I most assuredly can tell you that the PB2-PLUS will and can knock your socks off! It's one thing to know and then it"s another thing to really know.

4. JackS

JackS Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replys Ed, Steve. As much as I'd love to have the PB2+ I think I'm going to compromise a little and go for the Ultra. Aside from the slightly less money, the Ultra in my very small room will no doubt be more than I will ever need which is why I was interested in these two subs to begin with. I still have a coupla of weeks before making my final decision and in the meantime I'll enjoy reading more opinions and reviews on the SVS's. Again thanks, Jack

5. Arthur Vino

Arthur Vino Stunt Coordinator

every time I read Ultra, I picture svs soon to be announced product pb2-ultra...

6. JessPrice

JessPrice Stunt Coordinator

"every time I read Ultra, I picture svs soon to be announced product pb2-ultra..."

Same here, I keep thinking that. I want it SO bad, but I cannot afford the extra $800 for some extra dB gain in the 20hz region (or the fancy makeover).

7. Edward J M

Jack:

In your case I think the Ultra is a better choice than the PB2+. In a small room, you will never exploit the max SPL of either subwoofer, and the Ultra has a smaller footprint, digs deeper in the stock tune, and you are getting the killer TV-12 woof. Great choice.

JessPrice:

Clearly, the performance difference alone cannot justify the $800 price difference between the PB2-Plus and the PB2-Ultra. You have to look at the furniture grade wood finish, and the extremely costly technology of the TV-12 driver.

I think Ron's analogy with the 'vette's is a great one. The stock 350 hp 'vette can outclass just about anything on the road and is clearly an incredible performance value. The considerably more expensive Z06 'vette with 405 hp can get down the 1320 a few tenths quicker, but most people will buy the Z06 as much for the exclusivity and killer motor as for the fractionally better performance.

Like another poster said, you don't need it, you want it. And that alone is a perfectly valid reason for some people. [​IMG]

Regards,

Ed

8. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

9. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Very good point Edward on the $800 difference in price to performance capability. My bass dollars don't come easy so I better come back to earth and stick with my original plan of teaming up the PB2-PLUS with most of what I have now. Considering the output capability of just one dB 12 driver, I think this option will suit me just fine.

10. AndySw

AndySw Auditioning

I've never heard an Ultra described as a compromise before... [​IMG]

Andy.

11. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

I fall very squarely into the want category.

I have the original Dual CS-Ultra w/Samson S1000 combo. My Ultras do not have the upgraded driver. I have been planning to upgrade the Ultras with the new TV-12s but they are persistently on back-order. This is good path for me because the drivers are $579 each and SVS will credit $250 per orig. woof if you return them. So, I can temporarily suppress the "want" bug for $658 plus shipping. With shipping included, I suspect that the total cost involved would tip over $700, which is $550 away from a PB2+, which can be easily made up by selling 1 of the ultras and the Samson..........

Finally, where the PB2+ stand performance wise in relation to the original CS Ultra combo.

12. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Yep, very valid reason. [​IMG]

13. Joel~Solid

Joel~Solid Agent

Well from a strictly for the performance stand point I'm going with the a Dual Pb2+ set up. I have a large room to fill so I need it. At first when I saw that SVS is doing a PB2 Ultra I was bummed cause might have gone that route. But then I thought about what I paid for my Dual PB2+ set up and what a single PB2 Ultra set is approximated at and I have zero regrets with my decision. I figure my setup will out do a single PB2 ultra set up no problem. Just waiting on those Plus Drivers to get back in stock.

Joel

14. Edward J M

15. Edward J M

16. Joel~Solid

Joel~Solid Agent

ED,

You always know what to say [​IMG]

My pair is suppose to ship at the end of this week. I'll be crossing my fingers.

Joel