What's new

SVS Tales (Anecdotes) (1 Viewer)

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
There has to be lot´s and lot´s of anecdotes

1. Darla:
I was demoing my PC+ 16-46 last night and popped in my Finding nemo DTS-ES. During the infamous darla scene when she taps the aquarium the bass just dissapears just as the scene starts.
"Whatte-? The fuse again?!?!" I think to myself confused.

"A pirrannna!" I hear Darla cry out.

"What?" Then it dawns to me, the bass was so intense that my H/K DVD30 skipped a bit because of the rumbling.

2. Black Hawk Down
I, again, demoed my sub to some friends and popped in Black Hawk Down SuperBit R3 and skipped to the "Fuc*ing Irene" scene. Chapter 8. As the helicopter blades rotate the floor seems to wobble. A friend yelled out ecstatically that my CRT 32" Toshiba had Interference against the calm blue sky. Clearly because the sub.
This during Chapter 8, 35:20-35:25

Anyone out there with their own anecdotes?

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Not an SVS anecdote, but well worthy:

I can vibrate the whole upper level(2200 sq ft) of my house using a 16hz test tone. Measuring with my rat shack meter at the listening position I can get 110db(corrected) at 16hz. The room measures 18'x26'x9'(large). I'm running 2 Dayton IB DVC 15" subs in my ceiling in an IB alignment, and a lowly 250 watt PE plate amp. Simply incredible for the price($450.00 which includes the Behringer Feedback Destroyer).

Watched "Underworld" last week. This movie has alot of low bass and the floor joists were bouncing. The material on the IB sub grill looked like it was breathing( in and out, in and out). Cool!!!

ScottCHI

Screenwriter
i don't have an svs either, but i do have a tale.

the other day my neighbor was pouring concrete for his new driveway. well, i was home thumping some music all afternoon. my sub's driver points toward his house. his driveway is about 50 feet away. anyway, last night he comes over to tell me that my sub messed up his whole "pour", and they're going to have to rip it up and re-pour it.

:D

:wink:

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator

Did you disable the rumble filter on the PE amp? I was under the impression that PE's 250W plate amp had a rumble filter around 18 or 19hz that causes a quick drop off?

If you haven't disabled it I'd be scared to see how much output at 16hz you'd really be getting!

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I ordered the version without the bass boost, but was unaware of the rumble filter. Hmmm, I guess I'll have to search around for rumble filter discussions, thanks.

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Hm, Darla. When I had some shoddy, light speakers in the front, the PB2+ literally moved and rotated the right channel for a centimeter or so with each *bang* ... :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
HSU VTF-2. With the animated film Jin Roh, there is a sequence where a young girl is running through the sewer, and there is some very low subsonic vibration in the background. I stopped the disc because I thought there was something going on outside, because I could hear things in the next room vibrating :D

With the same scene, my daughter was taking a shower at the time and when she came out, she said "I thought it was an earthquake, I could hear the rumbling in the shower..."

*edit - had to add my first SVS experience:

I went to a friend's place, a local HTF'er who had just gotten in his 25-31PCi, and we demoed U-571. His room is about 30'x20' with high vaulted ceilings, probably about 15'+ at the peak, with a concrete slab floor. At what I felt was an average listening level, this thing was flapping my pants leg from over 10' away. :eek:

Gordon B

Agent
I have two SVS CS Ultras in a big great room with a 17-foot cathedral ceiling. The kitchen, den, foyer and dining room are all part of the same space, with ceilings ranging from 12 feet to 17 feet. Total volume about 9,000 cubic feet. My wife had a wooden dove sitting on top of a plant shelf above the kitchen's back wall, some 40 feet away from the Ultras and 12 feet up. A few months after I got them, we noticed the bird had rotated 90 degrees and was facing in toward the wall instead of out. Had to be the Ultras. I can also vibrate the water in my swimming pool, which is about 25 feet away from the nearest sub.

Garrett V

Agent
John Garcia, what size is the room that you are using the VTF-2? My setup is in the basement and the room is about 20 by 25 (actually a little less, with a 7 foor ceiling). I noticed your friend had a very large room and the 25/31 SVS seemed to do the trick in a large room. I have been trying to decide if the STF2 or VTF2 will do it for me. (not looking to shake the house down)

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
Well the other night when I was watching Matrix Revolutions, my wife was in her normal hiding place, in the bedroom, when I play my movies loud. The next thing I heard was a crash sound that came from the kitchen. She came running out and I paused the movie and went to look at what happened. Well one of her good, glass baking dishes rattled out of a high cabinet and came crashing to the kitchen floor. She was not too happy, especially when she saw my grin on my face when I realized that my sub had done this. I will never live this one down.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

My room is 19x20 with high vaulted ceilings and open to the kitchen with a half wall. Since I am in an apartment, I decided not to go with an SVS after hearing the 25-31, I would have to turn it way down. I have to keep the VTF-2 down, but I still get some good rumble when I need it. Bass is clean, and goes pretty low, but the VTF-2 does not move nearly as much air as the 25-31 does. I only have my sub at 30% gain though...:D

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Yikes! :b - FYI: He walked around 1/2 a block around the corner to my front porch.

My first comment was, ..."you're kidding - right?" He wasn't, so I told him sorry and I immediately turned the movie down to my usual -10 dB below REF Level. At this point since I've seen the movie already, I spent some time talking to my neighbor and let my brother and friend finish "Atlantis - The Lost Empire".

I reiterated how bad I felt disturbing him with my 'HT movie bass' and he understood the need to recreate that real Cinema Theater SPL's. He said he would do the same if he had an HT setup also!

Anyway, it turns out that he has lived behind our house pretty much his whole life and that he attended the same High School that I did, although he was an upper classman. His family owned a pretty large size lot behind our house, ... including the original small 1900-1910 home his parents owned, a 2 Duplex rental units which he managed for his parent and a open field w/some older tree orchard. He just recently sold it (his mom died last year or the year before?) so, if you know the present Realestate costs in Mountain View, CA, ... if he wants a "full-blown" HT setup, he can afford it after he distributes the assets with his siblings.

I also found out that over the years (since 1998) that I've had my usual once or twice a month DVD presentations, ... my standard -10 dB below REF Level Fast Peak LFE SPL didn't disturb him, his wife, or closes tenants in the Duplex.

Needless to say, since then, I've made sure that I don't exceed my standard -10 dB below REF Level SPL on Friday NITE's, ... no matter how much my older brother eggs me on to turn it up a little!!! -10 dB below REF Level is loud enough to move the floor, air, couch, wall, pant-legs (yes - an SVS trade mark!) when the encoded DVD LFE calls for it while still maintaining a very audible whispering dialog scene during the quieter moments of the DVD movie!

Once the builders start tearing down the houses, duplex and clearing the land for the planned Condo Home Association, ... I should be able to play my DVD's @ REF or -5 dB below REF Level again, ... at least until the first closes 2-story Condo Units are occupied in a couple of years!??!

Phil

Al_Swanson

Agent
OK, three stories. First night I had my SVS I was watching 'Das Boot'. My daughter was on the phone to the boy next door when he asked her what the heck that was coming from our house. He had to be 50 or more feet away. He said he could feel it in the floor of his house. (Believe it or not, they actually moved their daughter's room across the house and moved their office into her room because it's only about 10' away from the sub).
Next story - two nights later, demo'ing das boot for a friend, I set off my son's car alarm in the driveway. Not bad for my first SVS.
Last story - though now using my M&K MX5000 - my neighbor across the street asked if I was watching the haunting. I said yes and he told me it was reflecting off the house BEHIND him into his bedroom.
OK, so I can't hear.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks