What's new

SVS subs versus any other brand (1 Viewer)

Joey Skinner

Second Unit
If you like a small footprint and have $1500 to $1800 to spend you can have an absolute killer infinite baffle sub if you can DIY. Imagine 4 18" drivers in your attic, the spouse approval factor of NO sub in the living space and all for probably less than $1500. Check out The Cult of the Infinitely Baffled .

John S

Senior HTF Member
Size is still a little large but my budget -vs- performance choice right now is still a Velodyne DLS5000R. The smaller velo subs in the DLS line are not up to par though in my opinion.

best of luck.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Call either Ron or Tom at SVS and they will give you the best sub option for your room whether it is an SV Sub or not. HSU makes some great subs too. I would give them a call for their recommendations.

Both companies are great to work with, give you great value for your money and offer fantastic after the sale support.

Parker

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I just got an HSU STF-1 for Christmas. It's small, but it really packs a wallop on great soundtracks like the STAR WARS DVD's. I'm sure the bigger models are even better, and the prices are very reasonable.

Loreni

Grip
If you have a small room like 12sq meters try some sealed subs.
I have a small room and pb12+ doesnt sound good to my ears.I hope some sealed Dynaudio sub will sound better.

Ian Silberstein

Auditioning

Check out Home Theater Hifi.com(Secreats)for reviews. These guys can be very objective and usually back up their opinions with detailed graphs and measurements. Good luck with whatever sub you chose and as you will see there are a lot of good choices there.

Ian

Stephen DeMarco

Auditioning
I've been doing a lot of research on sub reviews on just about every sub imagined including reading owners opinions of these and I keep coming back to the SVS PC Ultra. I know that it's larger than I was looking for but, my god, with the fantastic reviews this thing gets I had goosebumps just reading about it. Not only that, it will put some money in my wallet to pay off some of my x-mas bills.:)

A little bit of knowledge can save a lot of money!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I can only imagine how awesome the PC Ultra must be.....I've had a PCi25-31, the PB12-ISD/2, and a PB-10.....so I haven't even had the pleasure (yet!) of hearing the plus driver, let alone the ultra. I'm sure you're in for a helluva treat, my friend.

Jim View

Auditioning
I recieved the PCPlus 25-31 to use with my maggy 1.5's and I'm judging it on music use only, had it in since friday night, put it right where the HSU VT2 was, and have already realized it wont go in the corner 18" X 18" out from both sides[BOOMY], So far it likes to be between the center and right speaker on the same plane(46" from wall) It for sure goes LOWER than anything Ive ever had and just like every single low level in and outs on the other subs Ive tried the loop into the sub then out to my AMP makes my stage height drop by a couple feet twards the floor so its a good thing I have 2 sets of pre-outs, stage back up and as of now the gain is exactly on the 1st line about 7:30 on the dial, Phase is at 1pm and the xover is on(but not looped) at about 75hz, I was able to stiffin the impact up by using 1 port blocker and turning the tuning dail to 20hz.

My grandfather always said its all in the quality of the 1st watt and I feel like thats true in my system and it sounds best and most musical in the low moderate listening levels, the 1st thing to be said is does this subwoofer make my main speakers sound better... ... yes it does,does it draw attention to itself, Musicaly "no" if used correctly, visually you cant hide this vertical "Thor rocket"(see NASA) and is kinda cool, solid and nice felt mesh covers it(reminds me of a OLM WALSH). It improves the texture's of the midrange sound on down in the area's of "verb decay"[stick that in the audiophile dictionary please]and appears to be a addition and benifit to the entire listening experience.

I'm far from being finished in tuning the room and/or moving things around yet and still need to break out the scope, db meter and tone generator but will get to it this comming weekend. I for some reason think now Ive got this one and it is obviosly betterd my system I still have much room for improvement, my area 27 X 60 divided into 3rds with the last 10 feet open(long ways)(17ft divider walls) sytem in the middle 3rd, could handle either 2 of them or one of the higher 2 woofer models, I tried using the VT2 on the other side and run duals but the sounds are just to differnt and dont do well mixed.

The music Ive sat in front and actually listen to from beginning to end(no order) Pink Floyd The Wall, Robin Trower Bridge of Sighs, Niel Youngs Unplugged and William Orbit Strange Cargo 3 and now the 2nd Gamalon CD from 1987.

I'll right a real review in time but wanted to post something in here on what my intial findings were.

Jim
[email protected]

Rory Buszka

Supporting Actor
The Axiom Epicenter subs look like they might be in the same league as some middle of the road SVS subs. These are the new ones with the DSP circuitry in their amps, which keeps you from killing your sub with a bassy movie at a high level. Specifically, the EP500 and EP600 subs. I'm not worried about the DSP sometimes limiting the extension of the sub at higher output levels - with a box that small and a single driver it's almost impossible to move the necessary amounts of air anyway, so this is an acceptable, and almost even desirable, compromise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks