SVS speaker stand `?'

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by DougDoe, Jul 27, 2006.

1. DougDoe

DougDoe Agent

nm

2. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

SVS's stands are 31 inches tall. Perhaps a little tall. The other thing to consider is whether
    applies to their stands.

I started this thread regarding speaker stands.

P.S. The SVS stands are apparently made by sanus.

3. DougDoe

DougDoe Agent

[So I have to buy THEIR speakers for THEIR stands...[​IMG] or am I misreading your quote...

4. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

Here's how SVS describes its speaker stands:

So, it appears that you can buy the same model stand for the same amount of money.

Two caveats.

The first is that 31 inches may be a little high for Axiom speakers. 24 inches is usual. The second is that despite SVS's endorsement or whatever, they're not in the same league as the Axiom stands. I hope I don't come off as a tweaker, but the speaker's sound is affected by the stand.

5. SVS-Ron

SVS-Ron Screenwriter

We found 24" to be much too low for most uses like this, whereas 31" jobs put bookshelf speaker tweeters dead on "ear height" with your typical couch or chair. There's certainly nothing magic about these or any other stands we've used (height certainly can affect sound, but I've never seen a shred of data on any other aspects of material or design affecting speaker stand "sound" based on blind testing. But hey, anything's possible I guess. It'd be a tough thing to "A/B" without inducing position changes too which would all but invalidate comparisons).

They look as though they were designed precisely for the SBS-01 speakers, are easy to ship, good looking, and inexpensive (and only a mild PITA to screw together). That pretty much sums up the selection process. We don't make much on them so frankly any stand anyone cares to use is of no consequence whatsoever to us. I know I've personally used 3 different types of stands with our speakers and never heard a bit of difference (though I wasn't expecting any nor trying to hear any either).

Our prices are merely OK (about the same as other vendors I think), nothing to get excited about but if you wanted some we'd of course sell those to you. That caveat above is mostly aimed at cables (which we sell well below retail prices mostly as a service to our customers), and of course components for subs.

Ron
    SVS

6. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

I suppose it would. My current speaker stands are sand filled, weighty, and stable. Perhaps it's a psychological thing--knowing that it would be extremely difficult to tip one over. I'd do testing, but I'm living with someone who considers frequency sweeps to be obnoxious.

7. DougDoe

DougDoe Agent

Are SVS stands fillable? I have a five year old and weighing the stand down would be a MUST!

8. ChrisBee

ChrisBee Stunt Coordinator

Then you're obviously not using REW. [​IMG]

My wife finds REW sweeps hilarious and walks around going: "Wooooop!"

Which might be considered entertaining but can play havoc with the response graphs. [​IMG]

9. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

10. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

11. DougDoe

DougDoe Agent

would'nt pass the wife test...

12. DougDoe

DougDoe Agent

luckily there are a gazillion cheap columns around...

13. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

ah. With no aesthetic sensitivity, I can't tell whether
    [​IMG]

is the height of ugliness.

14. DougDoe

DougDoe Agent

agreed[​IMG]