What's new

SVS SB12-NSD vs. Elemental Designs A5s-300 subwoofer (1 Viewer)

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
I'm looking for a subwoofer to add to my entry level 5.1 system. I have a Denon 2311ci receiver and a the Polk Audio RM95 5 speaker setup (which I am incredibly happy with). Now, some people have said in reviews that the RM95 is not that great when it comes to mid-range sound reproduction, but I have not noticed that in any way.

Anyways, I'm looking at the SVS SB12-NSD ($550) and the Elemental Designs A5S-300 ($550). Both are sealed subs, have 12" woofers, and I would gladly have either one in my setup. The only real spec difference I can find is that the STA-400D amp in the SVS sub is a continuous 400 watt DSP, whereas the Elemental Designs LT.500 amp says 500 watts.

Other than that, the Elemental Designs Sub is a little bigger and the SVS is a newer model.

Any thoughts on which one I should go for? I am willing to spend $600 maximum on the subwoofer right now because I'm on a tight budget.

Thanks!

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The eD sub is the shipped price. I don't think SVS includes shipping.

Ignore the wattage. 100w difference in power can be made up for with a slightly more efficient driver. Since SVS has upgraded their NSD driver to almost a clone of their older Plus driver, I'll give them the nod this time.

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
Ah I see, that makes sense. I didn't mean that the wattage would make a difference, just that it's a small detail difference that is pretty much negligible because of SVS's drivers. Thanks!

I really just needed confirmation that the SVS would do a better job for my arrangement (pretty small room about 15' x 15').

Thanks again!

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
Actually, I'm going to end up getting the eD sub because shipping on the SVS would be $57 which would put it over my limit. Regardless, I know I'm going to be happy with the eD sub.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You are probably correct that you will like the eD sub. This is the driver they use - http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?t=2&products_id=784 and this is the amp - http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_106&products_id=822 . You are paying $100 - eD's shipping cost for an excellent cabinet. If you haven't checked out their videos and blog, they have a log of behind the scenes of the cabinet build process.

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
Xiansheng: Why does the SVS make more sense, specifically? I haven't bought it yet, so I'm still open to arguments for or against either one.

Robert_J: That's what I was thinking as I was looking at it. Would it make sense for me to spend the extra $57 to get the SVS like Xiansheng says, in your opinion?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
In a blind listening test, I'd bet that you couldn't pick out which was the SVS and which one was the eD.

Anyone that drops in on their first post and leaves an opinion without any reason is discarded.

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
Yeah, I don't see what Xiansheng's reasoning is behind his comment. Anyways, I'll go for the eD. Thanks!

douglas-b

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Douglas Berry
Nothing hit's harder than my SVS's in their price range. I have so many Blu-Rays that would smoke a lesser sub at 10 below reference. I have NEVER bottomed them out and they hit hard! Go with SVS. You'll be glad you did 10 minutes after you take it out of the box. Between the 2 subs and the AS1-EQ I've got $2,000 in them and I've never regretted it!

iBalisy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian Balisy
Well after going around and around in circles trying to decide, I ordered the svs. It's a little more expensive, but it's not outside my budget, so I don't mind. Plus they give you a free subwoofer cable with your sub, so I don't have to worry about buying a cheap one and having it crap out on me, so that's nice. Anyways I'm sure I'll be very happy with my purchase! Thanks guys!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks