What's new

SVS Placement on Carpet? (1 Viewer)

Terry Flink

Stunt Coordinator
My 20-39CS came with spike and I have been using them since I got the sub 2 months ago. My setup is in a bedroom 10x12 with a low pile berber(sp?) carpet. Before I dig into the corner where the sub is placed to "experiment" with the sound, is it worth a try removing the spikes?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
The spikes aren't going to affect the performance of the unit one way or the other. We've actually eliminated them from later model units...because so many folks insisted on using them on all types of flooring.
I'd take them off and toss them in a drawer myself...but I've grown to dislike the very sight of them :)
TV

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Tom,
I will also be placing the subs on a carpet. Will it be best to just set the sub on the carpet or will I need to use spikes or rubber feet? Also, looking forward to receiving the two 20-39CS subs and the Samson amp. What wires will I need to have to hook it all up with that doesn't come with the subs and amp? Is it better to have short speaker wires to the subs from the amp and a longer interconnect between the receiver and amp or the other way around, or does it really matter? I appreciate, like many others on this and other forums your and Ron's customer service. And thanks for letting my know you received my order yesterday.
Mike

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Mike,
I can't recall, but if you just ordered, your sub will almost certainly not come with spikes. They were discontinuted about a month ago, though some backstock is still floating around.
Your sub will work great on carpet with no spikes. The spikes tended to rattle when ANY hard object under the carpet was struck.
You can actually download a manual for your sub on our order page if you want, but all you will need is one decent audio interconnect to run to your amp from the receiver (just one, the Samson allows both channels to be fed with one input). From there just run 12 or 14 guage speaker wire (nothing fancy needed here either). Generally we recommend you keep the interconnect short (easy if you are putting the Samson on the stack with your other gear) and rely on speaker wire to make longer runs. 300 watts running thru copper wire tends to pick up less interference than the fraction of a watt your LFE/Sub signal provides.
The above is not absolute by any means.
Ron

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,
Thanks for the info and it sounds like I have everything I need when the subs arrive. Will I need banana plugs at the amp end of my speaker wire? I have downloaded the two manuals and it seems this is one of only 2 ways to connect the speaker wire to the amp. Is that correct, and if so will the amp accept standard size banana plugs that I would pick up at Radio Shack?? Thanks!
Mike

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
You can use single bananas at the amp (I'll check on duals, can't recall), or pins or spades or (our favorite) bare wire.
On the sub you can't use normal banana plugs. Clearance is too tight.
Ron

MikeAF

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Ron, now comes the hard part --- waiting for the subs to arrive. It's nice to know if I have any questions I can get very quick responses.
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks