What's new

SVS PB2-ISD vs Monitor Audio FB210 Please Help (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

I agree that attacking a group of people is not a good thing, nor politically correct, I am not sure I would be offended being called a rabid fan or member of a pack, however. I hope he is being admonished for the reference to "rabid, pack mentality", and not for "Don't limit yourself to SVS.....There are better subs." or for "Frankly I hate the SVS subs." Both are just opinions, and should be welcomed, whether or not we agree with them.

Nicholas may have instigated the initial discord and debate, however he was not alone in fanning the flames. I read the post, and was in no way altered in my opinion on SVS subs, so no harm done here anyway. His statements that there are better subs, is true, there are. Maybe not available at the same cost, but there are better subs.

Given a group of 10 people, each with an unlimited budget for subwoofers, I am sure you would not have any 2 users wind up with identical setups. Are they all wrong? Are any of them right? Personal preference plays a huge factor, some like boom, others detest it. How many times have you been stopped at a traffic light and had a car pull up near you, buzzing, booming, rattling, and practically vibrating itself along as a mode of transportation? That person obviously likes it that way, while I personally detest it. Who's right, who's wrong? depends on which side of the fence you're sitting.

Differing opinions are just that, different opinions. That fact was apparently missed in this entire thread. I find it offensive that a differing opinion is not welcome on a forum such as this. I can decide for myself what authors to ignore, and which to value the opinions of.

I'm in the market for a good subwoofer, and am considering SVS, but leaning more heavily to Paradigm, Velodyne, or Revel currently. Hopefully I won't be banished or admonished for stating that I prefer those brands.;)

Nicholas R

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Bob I was frankly suprised I received an admonishment but he does own the site. I certainly hope it's not censorship or because SVS is a sponsor, but if I wish to remain I suppose I must accept the judgement passed down.
As surprising as it was.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Bob:

Differing opinions are never a problem on this site. In fact it is that input that makes for an informed decision for all that read a particular subject matter.

What is a problem is when a member takes upon his/her self to make generalizations such as following "the pack mentality" about anyone that prefers a brand that they don't care for. And that is their sole contribution until others take them to task on that comment. After which the thread turns into a debate on whether or not that person's opinion means less than the others.

It is not about whether or not his/her opinion means less it is about their contribution to that thread. Does it offer anything other than to incite? Does it inform and provide information that someone can use to make an informed decision? What examples do their offer for an alternative choice?

Making a generalization about a group of people that prefer a particular brand of product is a personal affront to those people and something that is not allowed on this forum.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Nicholas:

In no way is it censorship or have anything to do with SVS.

It is about your own comments in this and other threads that are started with deriding statements. (And you know what I am referring to).

You have to take ownership for your own actions and leave it at that.

Parker

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

As one who is as guilty (probably more) as anyone for taking Nicholas to task about his statements, I would like to say that this was my motivation. Aside from his "think Thiel" comment, which was obtuse at best, Nicholas offered nothing to the discussion except his "hatred" of SVS subs. When repeatedly asked to qualify his analysis of what is ubiquitously acknowledeged to be a great performer for its price, Nicholas immediately resorted to the "I KNOW better than any of you" defense. This is not what I call reasonable discourse on a subject and I felt the need to call on him to defend his statements. What resulted was some very sketchy logic, especially when it came time to explain why he desperately wanted to (and would still buy) a sonic clone of a sub he claimed to have owned and hated, as well as other statements that received a universal (????) from myself and others. It is not often I get into these urinating matches, but given his initial attitude, his admission that he "certainly never felt compelled to validate (his) opinion", coupled with his lack of time as a member (not that this is entirely a negative on its own) and his improbable list of "used" SVS's (a used PC-Ultra ???), I (regretfully) chose to step up and unzip. If I have offended anyone, I apologize. If I helped to shed some light on what I saw as an unsupported bomb throwing attack on a good product, well that was my only intention. Sunlight is the best disinfectant after all, I just may have been too exuberant in its use.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
My apology and explanation was for the group, Nick. I think they deserve it for putting up with my (and your) overexuberance for the past 3 days. I respect this forum too much to not admit when I may have gone overboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks