What's new

Svs Pb10 (1 Viewer)

kevin tate

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone heard this sub at the Universal City, California HTF meeting this past weekend? If you have, please post your impression.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I didn't hear it in CA, but I'm currently living with one (a review sub I'll have to send back).

The PB10-ISD gives up nothing to its more expensive brother the PB1-ISD (soon to be dubbed the PB12-ISD) in terms of deep extension. It has legitimate in-room extension to below 20 Hz, and its performance on 32' pipe organ music will surprise you.

It's quite powerful for a single 10" driver, and it fills the room well on HT special effects. At the limits, it naturally gives up a few dB of max SPL compared to the PB12-ISD, but it's no slouch, that's for sure. I played the "cave troll falling dead" scene from LOTR-FOTR and I was suitably impressed; IIRC, "damn, this little bugger can kick some ass" were my exact words to the better half. ;)

Tom V spent a lot of time making sure this sub was nearly bullet proof, and the combination of a steep infrasonic high pass filter and a sophisticated amp limiter really work well to keep the PB10-ISD very well behaved, even at high playback levels.

Dimensionally, it's shaped like a 2/3 scale PB2, with a good amount of depth (probably for extra internal volume and a sufficiently long port. I also think the tuning point of the enclosure is quite deep, and the high excursion woofer handles most of the output chores down to about 20 Hz, so port noise has not been an issue whatsoever thus far, even at high volumes on demanding HT.

The PB10-ISD is loaded with thoughtful and expensive design features, inside and out. I'll reveal more details in my formal review, but suffice it to say, when I pulled the woofer for some pics (couldn't resist), I was very impressed to note a design feature not normally found at this price level. The woofer is also a beastie; it seems to weigh about 25 pounds and is quite robust in construction.

In short, the PB10-ISD has SVS pedigree to the core, and "least expensive" does not translate into "cheaply built" in any way shape or form.

kevin tate

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the response Ed. Can't wait to read your thorough and insiteful review. What color is the PB10 that you're reviewing? Is it 25lbs? If I recall correctly, SVS site listed a more subtstantial weight.

BryanZ

Screenwriter
It looks like he is referring to the weight of the woofer itself rather than the complete sub.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for sharing a little about the PB-10-ISD Ed. It was just enough.:emoji_thumbsup: This might sound a little strange, but I'm looking forward to the 10-ISD as much as the 2-U. I have a special corner all picked out for the little guy.:b

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
Ed,

I knew it...I just knew it! I knew that 'lil bugger would prove to be something really special.
Thanks for corroborating what I instinctively knew would happen. :D

Will be eagerly looking forward to your read your oncoming review!... :emoji_thumbsup:

-THTS

"...hi, my name is Frank...and am an SVS bassaholic..."

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, Frank - the buzz will start when the PB10-ISD starts shipping. Legitimate clean extension to below 20 Hz for $399?

For guys like Steve and you (who have big main systems) the PB10-ISD would be just the ticket for a second HT/music system in a bedroom, etc.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
For guys like Steve and you (who have big main systems) the PB10-ISD would be just the ticket for a second HT/music system in a bedroom, etc.
__________________________________________________ ____

I totally understand your thinking Ed and of course your right. I would cherish having my second system back with the PB-10 intergraded. My situation changed as our daughters got older and required more room in the den, so I gave myself the boot along with a little influence from the loving wife;) I drew the line in the living-room though. I do plan on intergrading the PB-10 in the corner right next to seating under a corner table. Positionaly, corner (1) is most optimal for all seating. This should work out rather well when trying to keep things at a minimum with out engaging limiters. From your appreciated description so far, I have no doubt about it. I think I could still shake things up pretty well if the PB-10 were called upon regardless of my leaky 2880^ room.

More I would like to ask in regards to the PB10-ISD, but your review will be up soon and am sure your time would be better spent putting your time in with the PB10-ISD.

With all Frank has going on, I wonder if the 10-ISD will ever make it's way to him??

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I just finished the ground plane session with the PB10-ISD. :emoji_thumbsup:

You people are gonna flip when you see the distortion numbers down low. This sub has incredible bandwidth linearity and just amazing levels of clean output in the 20-30 Hz region.

Purely from a performance value perspective, the $400 PB10-ISD is SVS' best work to date.

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
Wow this sub sounds like it is going to be really nice, kind of makes me wish I did not buy my STF-2 at the beginning of the summer and instead waited and then got this :frowning:

kevin tate

Stunt Coordinator
Ed I am aware that you have an extremely busy schedule, but can give us an estimate as to when you review will be posted?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

My goal is to have the PB10-ISD review posted before October 15; the archery opener in upstate NY. ;)

Bo Assdale

Agent
In theory- what do you guys think would perform better- a PB2-Plus (...which is my current sub- and I L.O.V.E. it to death ;-) or 3 (!!!) PB10's!:D

I mean if you had the room for it which would be the better option...and should the PB10's be co-located for max effect? Just a thought! :rolleyes

Rudi B

Stunt Coordinator
Woah, hey Bo, long time no hear. So, it rocks, right? :)

(I have the exactly same sub history like you... Yammie, SVS. :))

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

The PB10-ISD has a very healthy internal cabinet volume (which helps efficiency down deep), and the tune point is a bit deeper than the PB1-ISD. So at 20-22 Hz the PB10-ISD exhibits extraordinary efficiency and distortion limited output for a 10" woofer.

I'll let Tom V make the final call, but suffice it to say things are very tight between the two subs down deep. ;) A bit higher up, the larger driver (and slightly higher tune point) of the PB1-ISD make their presence known, and it pulls an advantage.

Also keep in mind the 12" ISD is 40% larger (in surface area) than the 10" ISD, it uses a 4" port, and it can simply move more air overall and generate a bit more "felt impact".

Still, the PB10-ISD is just belting out numbers in the 20-30 Hz bandwidth that are way, WAY higher than anyone would have reasonably expected at this price point. This subwoofer hasn't just raised the $400 bar, it just smashed it into outer space; I'm not kidding.

Brandon:W

Stunt Coordinator

Wow, Edward. I had already pre-ordered a PB10-ISD before I heard all this - now I'm really getting excited!

I was lobbying for the 20-39 PCi. I showed my wife what it looked like and gave her an idea of the dimensions. She just gave me a blank expression and said: "You can't be serious." So I showed her the "cute little white one that's $200 cheaper". Sold.

Ron, any chance the white ones will be the first to ship? :rolleyes

Brandon

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks