What's new

SVS PB10-ISD Subwoofer Test & Review (1 Viewer)

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka
Ed: PB10-ISD is an ISD line sub, but the woofer/element looks different than the other older ISD line woofers. Robb also said All this talk about the "TV-12 sound", is PB10-ISD's woofer more/better than normal ISD, would you rate it somewhere between ISD and dB-12 or even higher? It sure does look big and mean, way better than normal ISD woofer. :)

edit: Damn! I haven't read you review thoroughly enough, so IT IS dB-10 woofer. Hmm, just wondering why it's named PB10-ISD...?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
The driver in the PB10 is more of a "from scratch" design...not really linked to the ISD driver we currently use at all. Some common elements to the dB10 and Ultra driver though.

Tom V.
SVS

Maneesh

Stunt Coordinator
I guess this is a good thread to ask -

I am the target market for the PB-10 :) since I'm looking for a $400 sub.

Tom/Edward, how would it compare to this DIY sub kit with a Shiva driver -

EZTube Sub kit

The specs are listed as -

To me they appear close enough that SPL may not be the deciding factor. I've also read that a Shiva based sonotube is approx euivalent to a 20-39pci svs.

I can run the kit sub with a 250w plate amp or an old receiver (which will save some money). Asthetics are not a factor, I think the tall tube subs look cool and intimidating :D, and the PB-10 is very nice too.

Its becoming a hard decision and I keep going back and forth. Any suggestions?

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The .pdf document you obtained that THD information from does not specify the conditions under which the subwoofer was measured (you might want to ask Dan Wiggins that).

Given the data, it is unlikely it was measured ground plane at 2 meters, so a valid comparison of the two data sets really isn't possible. IF the EZ sub was measured GP at 1 meter, then simply subtract 6 dB from each number for the 2 meter equivalent.

MikeNg

Second Unit
EJM,

I couldn't find the measurements for the PB12-ISD/2. How would it's performance compare to dual PB10's?

I currently own the PB12, and the 10's performance really has me interested, since I would have better placement options with two smaller subs than with the one Big Kahuna.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Ilkka R

Second Unit
Real Name
Ilkka

Ok, thank you for the confirmation. That's what I had in mind. You might want to bring that thing up, becouse I think some people (I) relate ISD line to "not so good sound", compared to PC+ and Ultra lines.

Brian Bowles

Second Unit
I am real close to getting a pb10. I am going to hook it up on my computer:) I will need a cheap receiver and plan to use the digital out of my nforce2 motherboard. I can then use this with games and as a mini hometheater room for the kids. In the other room I already have twin 20-39cs+ subs. Can anyone recommend a real cheap receiver? The mini hometheater room for the kids is the only way my wife is going to let me get my third svs. I am sure it would be enough bass for our 2 and 7 year old and for games when closed up in the extra bedroom.

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Well, I was thinking of getting a 20-39PCi, after looking at the performance charts, I'm not sure I need that much more than the PB10-ISD......I have a medium sized room so I think it should have plenty of output for my room.....

Yung

Stunt Coordinator
I know the PB10-ISD has a 300W amp. This is this the RMS output? What is the peak output and is it an important statistic when looking at subs?

Jason Brent

Second Unit
I don't know if this has been covered yet, but I noticed on the SVS website that the $399 is an introductory price. Has anyone mentioned what the projected final price will be?

......kinda kickin around the idea of 2 of these instead of my 2039 PC+.....

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Yung,

The PB10 amplifier is a real 300w...continuous. Dynamic power is about 750 watts.

I'm not sure how important I would rate "amp power"...it is a definite factor...but it would be more important to base your purchase decision on the actual performance of the subwoofer rather than a specification of one of its components.

Tom V.
SVS

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Jason,

Good question, we're planning to post that info today!

But since you asked... final price is to be $429, which will kick in no earlier than midnight 31 OCT. We hope to be shipping PB10-ISD's by then but will hold the line on price till the witching hour regardless.

If we are NOT shipping we'll hold the line till we ARE (talk about holding OUR feet to the fire). Even if we miss the OCT deadline we set for ourselves months ago, it it's expected to be by much.

Hope that helps some.

Ron

Greg Z

Stunt Coordinator
Just ordered mine. Thanks guys! Sounds great.
smile.gif

George Braun

Auditioning
I have a few very basic newbie questions concerning the review (I've been reading HTF for a while, but don't actually own any HTF equipment, unless you count a 20 year old stereo).

In the review, it mentions:

"Since the amplifier lacks speaker level inputs and a low-pass filter, a Dolby Digital A/V receiver or “pre/pro” is required to operate the PB10-ISD. Digital bass management and the subwoofer pre-out is an almost universal connection method for home theater, and is also becoming increasingly popular for all music formats."

The pb10 sounds like an incredible product, I just want to make sure I understand what features are needed on an A/V receiver to work with the pb-10.

By digital bass management, does that mean that the receiver needs to be able to set the crossover settings for the frequency? I couldn't find a definition or explanation of digital bass management in either the glossary or primer.

I looked in the primer and it says a common hook up method is to go from a receivers LFE out with an rca cable and then it splits and hooks up with 2 connectors L & R to the subwoofer. Is the "subwoofer pre-out" the same as an LFE out, and you just have one connection into the subwoofer on the pb10, instead of splitting it up into L & R connections? I guess I'm asking for a better explanation of what the output from the receiver needs to be.

Thanks!

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
George,

You've basically got it right. All you need to hook up the PB10-ISD into your theater is a Dolby Digital receiver. A DD receiver will have sub out, and you run a single RCA cable from it to the sub.

On subs with left and right inputs, splitting the signal increases the signal to the sub, and the only time it provides any real benefit is if you have a sub in auto on mode that has trouble "waking up". Some people mention it makes your sub louder, and while true, you'd just calibrate out that difference anyway, and it does not provide any additional headroom for the sub.

HTH,

-Robb

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
quote:I couldn't find the measurements for the PB12-ISD/2. How would it's performance compare to dual PB10's?

My guesstimate is that dual PB10-ISD and the PB12-ISD/2 (in the 20 Hz tune) would run pretty even in the 20-25 Hz region with respect to distortion limited output. The PB12-ISD/2 would probably hold an edge in the >25 Hz bandwidth, and it would also have a higher dynamic output capability, both due to the larger woofers.

Boris_V

Agent
@Edward J M:

You wrote in your (great) review that "In a moderate size room, its output capabilities are all most people will need. If you are a true bass head and like to listen at/near Reference Level, buy two PB10-ISDs - for only $800 you’d have a bass system that would rival other competitive offerings costing far more."

Would you say that two of PB10-ISD's can handle any movie or music fed to them, that they have enough haedroom for every dinamic peak in a small to moderate sized room at/near reference level? I'm asking because i'm considering buying two of those in the not so distant future and want to know if they are good enough to meet my demands.

You said that the PB12-ISD/2 offers more headroom/can play louder (how big's the difference?), if so i see no point in buying two of PB10-ISD if you can have one PB12-ISD/2 for just a tad more, do you? What would you prefer?

I'm torn because i like the idea of having more small subs compared to one big sub (more even bas across the room), but on the other hand don't wanna overpay.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks