What's new

SVS PB1 ISD "Plus" (1 Viewer)

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Tom/Ron,

When, realistically, do you expect the "plus" version of your box sub to be available and is it worth waiting for or should I consider the current model?

Thanks.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Stephen,

We're due for a product planning session in our quarterly Board of Directors meeting end of this month. We should be able to say after that.

Certainly considering current and near-term models might be warranted. Much (all?) depends on your room size/shape and your own expectations regarding depth and SPLs.

A PB1-ISD would simply floor the vast majority of HT and music enthusiasts, but would be just enough to wet the appetites of bass nuts with a large room. The PB2-Plus is due out in a few weeks to satisfy them (not that every bass nut will be able to afford the cost of entry into the $1,200 price class of the PB2-Plus [NOTE: that's not a hard price it could be more, or less we're still working the numbers with various component suppliers]).

The PB1-Plus could be a PB1-Ultra, we don't know (board meetings usually result in arm wrestling matches between R/D and Marketing, like with any company ;^). Certainly a premium grade (whether wood or simple black finish, maybe both) single woofer box sub in in the offing but our crystal ball is not yet focused there.

If the PB2-Plus launch goes quickly you MIGHT see a PB1-Plus/Ultra like sub in the summer, but that's only a guess, not a commitment I'm afraid.

Ron

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Thanks for the quick response Ron...You guys are definitely going to get my business in the near future. I almost pulled the trigger on a PCI-plus but the wife cancelled those plans because of the size.

The box is what I was waiting for but I don't know if I want to pull the trigger on your first box....as I know the next one will be better!

Again, thanks for the prompt and informative response. You'll eventually get my money....I'm just biding my time right now.

Erich S

Agent
When can we find out more about the PB2-PLUS? How might is compare to a single CS-Ultra? I have been considering the PC-Ultra which is rumored to come out this summer but the PB2 might be better. I have a 22x27x8 foot room. How close to a corner can the PB2 or B4 be without blocking the drivers?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Tom or Ron correct me if I am wrong. The PB2-PLUS will be a duel driver down-fireing sub. 450 watts to each db 12 driver. It will be 28"D X 20"W? if this helps?

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Guys,

The PB-2+

17"(wide)29"(deep) 24.875" tall(with baseplate). It weighs about 120 pounds.

A built in BASH amp with about 900 watts continuous...about 2200 watts dynamic power.

Three 4" widely flared ports, with 3 user selectable extension points(25hz,20hz16hz).

Dual dB12 12" TC Sounds drivers, down firing.

Cost will be determined in about 10 days(just getting some final quotes from suppliers now ~ a rough guess will be $1199-$1299)...and we are hoping to begin a preorder in 2-3 weeks...and then to begin shipping another week or two after that. This unit will outgun an Ultra down to the 20-25hz range. and in the 12-20hz range it would be a close call I think.

Tom V.
SVS

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
It seems SVS is shooting for a 22-25 Hz tune for the box series of subs if the B4 Plus and the PB1-ISD are any indication.

Since the SS filter tune points for the PB2 Plus are 25,20,16, it's a safe bet the stock tune (i.e., all ports open) will be around 23-25 Hz.

By virtue of more overall port area and a slightly lower tune point, dual 20-39CS+ or dual 20-39PC+ will likely outperform the PB2 Plus by 1-2 dB at anything above 25 Hz, with the advantage growing slightly down around 20 Hz.

Similarly, expect a PB1 Ultra to perform pretty much like a 20-39 CS Ultra down to 25 Hz or so, and then the cylinder will probably have the output advantage below 25 Hz due to its slightly lower tune point.

Regardless, the PB2-Plus will represent an OUTSTANDING performance value at $1200-$1300, considering dual 25-31PC+ will cost $1,550 and dual 20-39PC+ will cost $1,650. For the individual with the larger-than-average room who craves the performance of dual cylinders but prefers the box style - the PB2 Plus will be just the ticket.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
What about PB1-Ultra vs. PB2-Plus?
I'm pretty sure the existing parallel between the 20-39CS Ultra vs. dual 20-39CS+/PC+ will hold true for the PB1-Ultra vs. the PB2-Plus.

Dual 20-39CS+/PC+ will outperform a single 20-39CS Ultra across the board by about 4 dB in maximum output.

I would expect a similar outcome with the PB2 Plus vs. the PB1 Ultra. The contest might be even a bit closer (maybe more like 3 dB), since the PB2 Plus probably won't quite match dual 20-39 CS+/PC+.

While it is certainly fun to split hairs and go bench racing, I think the important thing to keep in perspective is that the overall performance of any of these current, pending, or potential future subwoofer systems is so far above the average home use subwoofer it's not even funny.

They will all shake out to within a few dB/Hz of each other, and they will likely have no performance peers in their respective commercial price classes.

Regards,

Ed

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Guys,

Ed has already done an excellent job breaking things down and splitting a hair or two along the way. I think I am just repeating what he said now...but the PB-2+ will be a good match for dual 20-39CS+ subs down to the 20hz range or so. In the 12-20hz area...the twin CS+ would gain the edge. We really haven't a PB-1ultra in anything close to production stages so that would be tough to comment on right now. Of course it is starting to warm up...so I'm looking forward to another 500+ hours of ground plane measruing this summer.

TV

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Tom/Ron

When the timing is appropriate, could you please post some photo's of the PB-2+?

You (Tom) mentioned in an earlier post on 3/13/03 "and we are hoping to begin a preorder in 2-3 weeks," so it would be nice to see the appearance of this new product in your SVS line.

I am considering joining the pre-order list, so the image/images of this new box sub would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Charles

Erich S

Agent
How will the PB-2+ amp differ from the one used for the PC-PLUS models (other than the increase in power)? What, if any, will the subsonic filter settings be? Just waiting for the pre-orders to start.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
The PB-2+ amp has custom EQ curves, subsonic signatures...it was designed for this one enclosure and no others. I think we're looking at something like 875 watts continuous and 25,20,16,bypass settings on the adjustable filtering. The rest of the feature set is identical to the PC+ amps.

Chas, we'll try to get something up asap, but it will be a couple of weeks I think.

Tom V.
SVS

Erich S

Agent
What is the minimum distance the PB-2+ ports should be from a wall? The B4+ and PB1-ISD owners may be interested as well. The owners manuals recommend placement in a corner, but how close can the sub be without degrading the sound?

The PB-2+ seems to be the right size for an end table. Maybe my wife will want one at each end of the couch.:)

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
We finally arranged our HT this past weekend and I just don't know where I'd fit a cylinder. A new end table is another story though.;) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks