What's new

SVS or Sunfire (1 Viewer)

Nick L

Second Unit
I am going to buy a new subwoofer for my new system. The system is going to consist of either paradigm monitor 7's and the CC370 or paradigm Reference 60's with the Ref CC. My question is should I buy the Sunfire Truesubwoofer Jr. or the SVS 25-31pci? I like the size of the Sunfire sub, its very little and packs a mighty wallop. And I have never heard an SVS sub. It is mostly going to be used for home theater bass, but will make its way into the music arena so I don't want something thats going to be boomy. I have listened to the sunfire briefly and was pretty impressed with the amount of bass that was coming out of that little box. I should also mention that the subs would be almost the same price becuase a friend of mine is a dealer. Those with experience with the 25-31 sub I would appreciate hearing from.

Thanks for your time.

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Read this.
For what it's worth, my friend who owned the Sunfire sub replaced it with an SVS 20-39PC. I say, if you can get that model (now the 20-39PCi), that would be your best bet, and at a lower price. (Hell, even the 16-46PCi costs less!)
I say, any model SVS will suit your needs better, unless size considerations play a major factor.

Arron H

Second Unit
Nick,
I think that you should consider the True Jr. only if you have unresolvable WAF issues or a very small room that it would be impossible to fit a larger sub into. Otherwise, the 25-31PCi will be a better sub than the Sub Jr. I returned my Sub Jr. and have ordered a 25-31PCi (I am experiencing the bassless shakes waiting for it!!!). I purchased the Sub Jr. due to WAF issues that I have been able to work out. The Sub Jr. was okay in our living room (16 x 14 x 8) but seemed to lack that "hit you in the chest" bass that most HT enthusiasts seem to prefer. It sounded much better in the small room that the dealer had it set up in. Note that the link Jeffrey listed compares the True Subwoofer to SVS, not the True Jr. The Jr. is 9 x 9 x 9 and has a built in 1500 watt amp. As noted above it is best for small rooms where another sub won't work or for computer gaming. Hope this helps ;)

BobAlbano

Second Unit
I have heard both the Sunfire and SVS subs. I started out with a 20-39pc and upgraded to the 20-39cs+/Samson Combo. I have also hearda new 22-31cs/Samson combo. I would have to say that from 30hrz and up they were reasonably close. In my opinion the SVS left the Sunfire in the dust from 30hrz and below. For the same price I would go with the 25-31pci over the Sunfire. For the money no one can touch what SVS is bringing to the table. "One very bias SVS owner":D

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Another alternative is the Earthquake subwoofer line. They have a 12" and a 15" model and they are also amazing, in relatively small enclosures. My wife would not allow me to get an SVS in my main theeater room. The sheer height was the problem.

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Another consideration would be the AR ARS500. Much of the

same materials used in the Sunfire line of subs but AR chose

to use a real enclosure (much larger). The Sunfire subs won't

compete with the ARS500.

The SVS would be a great choice and it will outperform the

Sunfire subs. That is not to say that the Sunfire subs are

not built well. Quality wise the Sunfire sub is a very nice

unit, it's just that small enclosures do not make great subs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks