What's new

SVS MTS-01 vs. Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 (1 Viewer)

apatel

Grip
Real Name
Al
I'm curious if anyone has compared these two speakers or has experience with them so that I could decide which to go with. I have the Sierra-1's at home right now, and am probably going to try the MTS-01's in the next few weeks. I know the Sierra is a bookshelf, and the SVS is a tower, so a comparison may not be fair, but I'm curious what may work best for me. I am looking for something in a 5.1 home theater system, that can be used for listening to music in 2 channel, or movies in 5.1.

I was originall intending to mount the Sierra's on the wall, but just realized that won't work for me. So if I get the stand, they will take up as much floorspace as a tower speaker, so I might as well try out the MTS-01, since that's roughly the same footprint on the ground.

I still need to buy a subwoofer. This is all going to run on a Pioneer Elite SC-27.

Thank you.

apatel

Grip
Real Name
Al
Since I haven't seen a response, I will assume no one has been able to compare these. I have the MTS-01's being shipped to me, so I will report back on my comparison for everyone. I may also get a set of Polk Audio A7's to do a 3-way comparison.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Isn't the PB 13-Ultra sub coming with the SVS speakers? I'm not familiar with the Sierra speakers.
If I could get a new set of speakers, these SVS would be them. But, I'd see if I could substitute a cylinder sub, for the PB13. I'm sure the PB 13 is excellent, but I just like the cylinder subs, personally. Let us know how you like them?

apatel

Grip
Real Name
Al
Just a quick follow up on this, I compared these two and returned the Sierra Acoustics. They sounded very good to me until I heard the SVS MTS-01s. The SVS may be slightly brighter, but they sound rich, deep and more powerful than the Sierra's. Keep in mind the Sierra's are bookshelfs and the SVS are towers.

The Sierras sounded really good to me, and they produced SERIOUS bass for their size. They really did knock my socks off, but the SVS were that much better to me.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm close to buying a MTS-01 + PC12-Plus 5.1 system and it's nice to hear that others like them. (I'm shallow. I like my decisions validated by strangers )

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Why isn't anyone mentioning the MBS bookshelf speaker ($799). Seems the MTS is getting all the love.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Al - did you buy the MTS set? Did you get the whole 5.0 kit (2xMTS, 2xMBS, MCS)? Did you get a sub with the set?

Gene - the MBS are excellent surround speakers. :) I got mentally locked into towers for mains early in my shopping and just stayed in that mode.

I've read in an owners thread that the Ascend Acoustics Sierra-1 One are excellent speakers. Some prefer them to the MTS line. (I've never seen or heard anything by Ascend and have no opinion on their speakers.)

apatel

Grip
Real Name
Al
I did end up buying the MTS-01 and PB-12 sub from SVSound. Also got the center channel, and so far after 1 year with this setup, I am very happy with it. The MTS's are rock solid, sturdy, heavy speakers and they look great. I get a lot of comments from friends about how high end the speakers look, and they sound great to me as well. The subwoofer really takes the cake though, I just watched Ironman 2 a few days ago, and some of the scenes shook my entire house. The sub is crisp and tight, and doesn't put out any rough or distorted lows, I have the gain set in the middle, and even at high volumes it feels like it can put out so much more than what it's producing. I am thrilled with the speakers and the overall setup. THANK YOU SVSOUND.

I still have the Pioneer Elite SC-27, and while I am very happy with this unit, there are some things I have learned about it which I didn't know before. If any one has questions about this, I'd be glad to reply under a new post.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Al, glad to hear you like your MTS system!

I'm hearing things in music and TV shows with my MTS set that I've never heard before. I was listening to the "Pay It Forward" soundtrack yesterday, and there were low-frequency components to the songs I've never heard before. Piano and organ music is really revitalized with a good full-range speaker system :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks