What's new

SVS in CANADA? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I knew you'd listen to them, I just meant to encourage you to do LOTS of listening :cool:
Here are my fave Subs:
Mirage BPS-400
Paradigm Servo 15
SVS 20-39
PSB Stratus SUB 7
I am not normally a fan of ported subs, so the paradigm PW-2200 is not a fave of mine, nor is the PSB SUb 5 and 6. SVS make a nice ported sub though :)

SanfordL

Stunt Coordinator
I for one will exchange SVS subs for Paradigm 60's if anyone wants. I can have the SVS's send to me, you get the Paradigm's in Canada. We can exchange them at the border....

Oh, that's right, huge subs and speakers. Nope, you are S.O.L. unless you want to try to conceal a tube that's 17 inches in diameter and anywhere from 46" high in your floorboard on the jaunt back accross the border.

Just remember folks, particularly to my Canadian buyers, if you have the subs sent to you at a U.S. address, then have the party receiving the subs in the U.S. declare that they are moving to Canada (fat chance, but it could happen) then the whole deal is duty free unless the customs inspector get's particular. You didn't hear it here, and this message will self-destruct in 20 seconds....

If you have a relative in the U.S. though, it might just be a dream match as you could avoid eating duty on this (TV, shouldn't NAFTA have done away with your duty reqs?) or anything like it.

Salvador

Second Unit
Duty??? I also thought NAFTA took care of that? SVS is made in the USA so there shouldn't be any duties. Hmmmm, unless those honky quebec politicians all of a sudden got into home theater and decided to put revenue tariffs on those subs;) . Well kidding aside i've talked to some people here in canada who have purchased SVS subs and they didn't mention any duties that they had to pay. Only taxes, shipping, and those infernal brokerage fees.
Does anyone know if i could let my cousin in Washington purchase an SVS sub, declare it HIS property and lug it over here in Canada w/o paying taxes, brokerage, and shipping? How long should the sub be in his hands to be legitimitely declared HIS property? Just an idea.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
How long should the sub be in his hands to be legitimitely declared HIS property?
I believe it has to be in his hands for 1 year. Best thing he could do is say he's coming up for a visit and wanted to bring along the sub for you to try out as your both into HT. Because HE bought it in the US and he's only coming up for a visit there's nothing customs can do. I think?

Kevin

SanfordL

Stunt Coordinator
Unless Canada is a little screwy, why should you have to own something for 1 year before declaring it as your property? Salvador, as long as your cousin is moving to Canada, he should be able to claim it as his personal effects, and move it in duty free and with a minimum of paperwork, border brokering, or other hassels. Then again, NAFTA is the issue, and they aren't allowing truckers to throw entries in a box as they cross the border any longer. Good luck, and believe me, the bass is worth the hassel.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
why should you have to own something for 1 year before declaring it as your property
Why? Because, if you bring back large ticket items you must be able to prove you have owned them for atleast 1 year otherwise you can be charged duty/taxes. This stops people who are moving from country to country to by large ticket items before moving and bring them over the border. I moved back to Canada from Maryland 3 years ago and inquired into this myself.

Kevin

Salvador

Second Unit
Best thing he could do is say he's coming up for a visit and wanted to bring along the sub for you to try out as your both into HT
Good suggestion but it raises other concerns. When my cousin goes back to the States, will customs check that he is also bringing back the SVS sub? Because if not, then the ultimate plan would be to let my cousin order an SVS sub in the States, bring it over here in Canada with the "home theater comparison" excuse and then just leave it here and i'll pay him back. No taxes, no duties, no shipping, no brokerage, saves me around $400 CAD.

KevinGS

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered an svs and amp and had it shipped to my aunt's place about 20 mins east of Niagara Falls.

I went over to pick it up and just drive back late at night on the weekend but the damn sub (16-46cs+, no box) was too BIG for my Jetta's trunk and I wasn't about to leave it in the back seat for all to see.

So, she was nice enough to drive it across the border and we just put it in my car.

No duty, taxes, saved a few hundred bucks!

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I think there is nothing stopping you from saving cross border/cross-courier charges, so yeah, do that cross border thingy. I am unsure about duties. If you drive across the border and buy the sub and return to Canada and declar it as you cross, I thought you would not pay duties, only taxes.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Salvador said: "Well kidding aside i've talked to some people here in canada who have purchased SVS subs and they didn't mention any duties that they had to pay. Only taxes, shipping, and those infernal brokerage fees."

That's our understanding too. SVS's ARE made in the US, are about 95% US or Canadian content and we comply to NAFTA rules in shipping AFAIK.

Taxes (which are paid even in some US states due to where we're incorporated) and "brokerage fees" (which seem to be some legacy of the past for shippers like UPS) but if someone is paying DUTIES I'd like to know about it.

Ron

I have owned a 20-39PC since Sept and I love it. Yes it cost more money to get it over here but we only live once, spend if you got;) . If you do not want to spend the extra money the PW2200 is a great sub for the price.

Salvador

Second Unit
Kevin, those customs people didn't get suspicious one bit about that big black tube you were carrying? When did you purchase the sub, before or after September 11 '01??? I know that since the bombings they have been extra strict on inpsections.

KevinGS

Stunt Coordinator
Salvador, are you the Salvador that was at the meet?

Anyway, it was in February and as I said, it was in my Aunt's van, right in the back. You have to use the right kind of people to come back unchecked ;].

She didn't get stopped and neither did I and I was only over for 6 hours.

Salvador

Second Unit
Salvador, are you the Salvador that was at the meet?
yes that was me the rookie on the block.

I'm trying to weigh my options here. I could probably get a 25pci this summer but i'm thinking about holding out to get more funds for a 1646cs+. Doing this crossboarder thing to avoid unecessary expenses would be easy to do for me since my aunt always comes here during the summer and she brings a van when she comes here. Well, we'll see what happens. Thanks for the feedback!

Trent C

Agent
Seeing as I just got my SVS order today, here is how the "Import Charges" (as UPS lists them) break down:
Duty: 0.00
GST: 116.89
PST: 0.00 (we got no stinkin' PST in Alberta :) )
Excise: 0.00
Brokerage Fee: 67.65
Brokerage Fee GST: 4.74
Brokerage Fee PST: 0.00
Freight Collect: 0.00
Permits: 0.00
TOTAL: $189.28
This was for a 20-39 CS+ with Samson 1000 amp & 5 metre speaker cable.
Now, if I can jsut shake this cold/flu, I can really enjoy my new toy! :D
Trent

Keith Ro

Agent
"Import Charges" (as UPS lists them) break down:

Brokerage Fee: 67.65

The big problem isn't duty (which shouldn't be charged on american made goods). It's the brokerage fee. UPS are the kings of this. I've had plenty of stuff cross the border shipped by good old USPS and never had to pay this. UPS is the worst offender -- I would NEVER use them to ship goods to Canada. Find a different shipping method (USPS, FEDEX) and this problem should disappear.

Now if we could just do something about our declining dollar...

Ron_L

Second Unit
I was under the impression that their wasn't a duty for electronics....I guess I'm wrong.

SanfordL

Stunt Coordinator
Keith is right about UPS. The reason is due to the fact that a few months/years ago (I believe, but my memory is fairly good :b ) UPS bought Fritz & Co (uncertain if it was Fritz & Co., but one freight forwarder or another.) Fritz is a U.S. based freight forwarder and customs clearing agent with offices worldwide and how do you think UPS got so big anyways? Padding the bottom line on the backs of unknowing importers....

Those charges are ridiculously high. Unless that is the CAD that those figures were quoted in. Even still, close to $200.00 for an informal entry, on goods that cost maybe $1000.00 if you get an Ultra, is just not right. The clearance and cross border issues might take a broker 15-30 minutes to do. That's pretty good scratch for the time and effort.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks