What's new

SVS + Husband = Me losing my friggin mind!!! :) (1 Viewer)

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Since you're in atlanta I'd be calling Patrick Sun and having him build you a sub. Something like a tumult in a reasonably sized box would easily give you the base you're looking for.

Robb Roy

Supporting Actor
Carol Ann,

First AJ sells your SVS without telling you, then he even considers reduced bass for 6.1?!?!

I need some help and advice before I throw my husband out the window!!
If he doesn't order the PB2+ or a B4, and in a hurry, I say you commence with the defenestration!

-Robb

Carol-AnnZ

Agent
Thanks Chris... But we are SVSers for life!!!

And Rob don't think that I haven't considered that as an option....LOL (JK!!!)

Carol-AnnZ

Agent
Just as an update...AJ has been talking with Tom from SVS and I think that what we have decided to do is get a 25-31 PC+ and use the 45 day in home trial to evaluate it in our system. Then after 45 days we will either keep it (and probably add another) or go with the PB2. AJ thinks this is the best way to go, but you can bet that if I'm not satisfied with the PC+ he'll be ordering the PB2 the next day!!! :)

PS...ask me how happy I am about this...LOL

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
Thanks Chris... But we are SVSers for life!!!

That is too bad. I thought you loved bass. If you heard an infinite baffle you'd put that SVS in the Bose "bass module" category.

Read a little over at the Cult of the Infinitely Baffled. I think there may be an IBer in your area that participates on that forum.

A

Anthony_Gomez

I think that is a little to far. While we DIYers can get much more bass for much less (since we don't "value" our labor), SVS is definately not the "bose" of the audio world. You definately get a lot for what you pay for which is the exact opposite of bose.

Happy hunting:)

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
"I think that is a little to far."

You're right.

But, I would say the difference between an IB sub and SVS is as dramatic as the difference between a Bose "bass module" and an SVS.

Mitch E S

Stunt Coordinator
Chris,

I'm sure the IBs are awesome but I for one can't imagine needing any more bass than my SVS provides. At reference levels I can feel it pushing against my whole body. Maybe if I had an unusually large area to fill the IB would be a reasonable (and affordable) solution. While the IB is a great idea I don't believe its necessary for many of us. My dream HT would be a seperate structure from my house in which case an IB would be a viable solution. Has anyone with a wife ever implemented one in their family room? I doubt it.

Also, have you had much exposure to SVS subs? Using the word Bose in the same sentence with SVS would indicate probably not.

Mitch

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
"Has anyone with a wife ever implemented one in their family room? I doubt it."

Actually IB sbs have a very high WAF. Remember there is no huge box/cylinder to work into your decor. Most IBs are built with the driver manifold an attic or basement with just an opening to the room. Air return grates are popular for blending into the decor. My wife was ecstatic to find out the big box was leaving the living room. Most guys use getting the boxes/cylinders out of the room as the reason for an upgrade to IB.

An IB sub that costs less than your SVS will provide cleaner, faster, deeper bass, and spousal harmony.

Carol-AnnZ

Agent
Actually Chris...I like the way the SVS looks. Believe it or not, I got upset with AJ when he suggested getting a box sub instead of the cylinder. I must be crazy, but hey what can I say..I love my bass and how it looks doesn't matter to me! :b

Mitch E S

Stunt Coordinator
I can see your point Chris. Maybe the idea of cutting holes in the walls and/or floors of my new house makes me uneasy :frowning: They just don't build them like they used to.

Mitch

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
I know the idea of cutting a hole unsettles most people. They don't know a 8 x 4 sheet of drywall is about $3. Add tape and some drywall mud for under $10 and your hole is fixed. I don't know anything about floors so I'd be hesitant myself to cut a hole there. Since I live in South Texas that is not an issue. They don't put basements(or would that be a bassment if it contained an IB) in houses down here.

Carol -- glad SVS has made you happy. If you ever get a chance check out an infinite baffle sub.

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
"Also, have you had much exposure to SVS subs? Using the word Bose in the same sentence with SVS would indicate probably not."

Reread my post #28.

Have you had much exposure to infinite baffle subs?

Mitch E S

Stunt Coordinator
Have you had much exposure to infinite baffle subs?
No, but I wasn't comparing the IB to an SVS or a Bose or anything else. I would certainly be willing to visit one if there is anyone in the Philadelphia area whos inviting.

You didn't answer the question though, which SVS have you heard? Just wondering?

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Personally I wouldn't just pidgeon hole myself on just SVS though this is much better choice than most. I think Carol should settle at least for a B4 (SVS), Everest (Kyle), or a power 15.4/15.6 (stryke) and thus you'll never have to update one part of your HT ever again (though you might have to replaster periodically...).

Chris Quinn

Screenwriter
"You didn't answer the question though, which SVS have you heard? Just wondering?"

Oops sorry. I've tried a 16-46PCi and a Hsu VTF-2. I ended up with the IB due to #1a -- I'm a cheapskate(two drivers $250, amp $150, manifold materials < $50, ttl. $450, w/a BFD $600), #1b --sound quality, #3 -- WAF/limited space(ie I was happy to get the big black object out of the living room too).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with either of those subs. They are both great buys and I tell anyone that asks which of the two to get to pick whichever you think will look better in your room. IB subs are the greatest value though.

Mitch E S

Stunt Coordinator
Alright Chris, now you've got me curious. Probably no one is more of a candidate to do an IB than me :) I built by own HT in the basement of a new house (including metal studs and drywall) that has a 13' wall and an additional corner that faces a giant work area on the other side. I can make as many holes as I want (as you pointed out drywall is almost free).I also have a spare Crown amp (660w @ 4ohms x 2) or (bridged 1950w @ 4ohms) that I previously used for my SVS Ultras. The wall is even already wired up to the Crown amp.

What drivers would you recommend for this amp? I'll give this a shot and compare it to the dual SVS CS-Ultras and let you know what I think. Is there any sound leakage into the "other room"?

Mitch

Carol-AnnZ

Agent
I have actually begged AJ to get a B4...but due to money, we just can't get one. But since my last post, I think I might have been able to use my skills as a woman and now have AJ willing to wait for a PB2!!!

I will have to let you all know what happens!!:b

Alex Prosak

Supporting Actor
Carol-Ann,

The wait is worth it! I picked mine up yesterday and have my initial impressions posted in the 'PB2 in Da House' thread. This sub is AMAZING!

Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks