What's new

SVS CS hookup question (1 Viewer)

Ray Nist

Agent
Right now I have my 25-31CS hooked up to an old JVC prologic reciever's (5x100)right channel. What would happen if I hook both the right and left channels to the SVS? Would I see 200w instead of 100w, or would I just ruin my receiver/subwoofer?

Thanks
Ray Nist

MarcVH

Second Unit
What you're describing is "bridging", taking 2 amplifier channels and combining them to make a singler stronger channel.

I doubt that your JVC's amplifiers are bridgable (most receivers are not), particularly into the 4 ohm load that your speaker provides. The manual for that receiver may indicate otherwise, and if so give it a shot.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I strongly advise against bridging a JVC pro-logic receiver into a 4 ohm load. It will probably activate the self protection circuit and shut off, but possibly not before you damage something. I have never heard of any mid-grade pro-logic or DD/DTS AVR that has bridging capability.

Also, the method you described is not the proper way to bridge a multi-channel amp.

You would be much better off simply stepping up to a better amp for the 25-31CS. The Samson S700 at 350 watts per channel into 4 ohms is a nice choice, and "future proof" in the event you wanted to add a second 25-31CS. This amp is often on B-Stock for around $300 - a great value for a rugged 2 channel touring amp.

If you are content with a single CS, there are a number of decent subwoofer plate amps on the market in the $120-$150 range that will provide 250-300 watts into 4 ohms and will have all the typical features of a sub plate amp like phase control, SS filter, high/low level inputs, auto on, etc.

Regards,

Ed

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Ed's dead on as usual.

One thing to keep in mind about the plethora of plate amps out there (a very good selection at one of our suppliers... www.partsexpress.com ... and no they do NOT supply our plate amps ;^) you want to ensure that any "bass boost" is disabled. SVS's are designed to work best without this equalization, and your amp will actually tend to have lots more effective power without it in any case.

Parts Express is especially good about documenting the simple procedures to defeat any bass boost circuit on their amps. It's become such a common request that they actually started doing them and stocking them in-house.

Build a simple wood box to go around any such plate amp and you have a great cost-effective solution that be less than half the cost of Samson typically (though if you can find one at $300 they are screaming deals).

Ron

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Hi Ray,

The Fans on the Samson *S* series are pretty quiet. If the room is dead quiet...and I mean..."out in the country, no traffic, no breeze, nothing playing on the TV anywhere in the house" quiet...you'll be able to hear the fans from about 15ft away. But with ANYTHING playing on the system in the room...even C-Span at backround volume levels...you really can't notice the fans unless the amp is sitting a couple feet from your ears.

Tom V.
SVS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks