What's new

SVS and the TPM pod race... :( (1 Viewer)

Kieran Coghlan

Second Unit
Ron,
Thanks for the tip. I am definitely going to pick up the ultimate toy box now... I have been meaning to for ages anyway (in fact I did, but I let my girlfriend keep it when I moved out.) :P
Currently I have my SVS calibrated about 2dB hot, using AVIA pink noise and the RS analog SPL meter.

BobRoulier

Second Unit
Toy story 2 is my favorite bass demo too! like Ron said just cue it up and get ready for some house shaking bass:D Fight club is pretty cool too!
Bob

To me fight club is the best, the scene called I think "psycho boy" just shakes my house with extremely low bass that you can feel.

Marcelo T

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw TS 2, and it didn´t impress me nearly as much as JP 3 chapters 5-6 or U571 chpater 15. I have a SVS cs+, and on JP3 it vibrate a window 30 meters away from the HT, on another floor, this on a brick wall house (not the wooden houses you americans have, which are easilly vibrated, here my walls are 40cm thick :D).
I´ll try the TS2 again, but I wonder if this is because of the difference between the region 1 Ts2 and the region 4 that I saw. The region 1 seems to be DD ex, and the region 4 is only DD.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I will just offer that the AC-3 track on the TPM LD is the one that's really juiced during the pod race. The DVD is just recorded lower than the LD and doesn't have the same impact as the LD.

greg_t

Screenwriter
How do we know the the Phantom menace LD is juiced? I never heard anything like that until the dvd was released. Could it be that the LD is the theatrically correct version?

JoeyT

Stunt Coordinator
back to the room null topic. I don't have the problem myself, but have heard my dealer mention that the easiest way for a layperson to find the best location for the sub (free of room null is to put your sub in the main listening position and meter dif. places in the room. Where ever you get the flattest response in the room across the spectrum is the ideal spot for the sub (of course additional room nodes can change this but the concept seems sound.) anyone else tried this? Any validity to this technique?

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
I have Klipsch RF3s and a servo 15, I run the towers full range and cut the servo in at about 50 hz. I find the pod race bass to be humongous. The only lower bass I think I can remember is from the time when the green/brown bald monster in LOTR who was carrying the club let out a huge roar/breath type thing.

Andrew CM

Grip
Anyone put on DTS version of "The Haunting" - bedroom scene which starts with the candle blowing out.
Just got my twin CS-Ultras fed by a Crown K1 amp - still in early fine tuning stages using the Rane EQ.
I felt a wave of air rustle my hair and scared the living crap out of me - followed by that ever-loving s**t eating grin.

Promise a rv when everything is calibrated properly.
Now i'm in true HT heaven.

Thanks SVS!

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
but have heard my dealer mention that the easiest way for a layperson to find the best location for the sub (free of room null is to put your sub in the main listening position and meter dif. places in the room. Where ever you get the flattest response in the room across the spectrum is the ideal spot for the sub (of course additional room nodes can change this but the concept seems sound.) anyone else tried this? Any validity to this technique?
Yes it is valid,this is the method I used too.
However I have 2 big subs and IMO putting them into the same location,will "pull" the bass to their way,even though I cross'em over at 60hz.I 'have found that if I separate them the bass becomes more "invisible" acoustically.
However that presents other problems but don't wanna get into that right now.
Anyway I checked the scene in question,and I thought the exiting pod of Anakin made quite a rumble,though not as loud as some of the other scenes of the pod race.
Ron, are referring to the "start your engines" part?

Sihan Goi

Second Unit
For me "The Haunting" was by far the movie with the strongest bass I've heard in my HT, with a pair of PSB Stratus Goldi's and a single Paradigm Servo-15 subwoofer. It goes really really low and starts shaking my entire room and the stuff lying around madly, like a mild earthquake. Of course the movie kinda sucked though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks