SVS 20-39PCi vs. PB12�ISD - is the only difference aesthetic?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kami, Nov 28, 2005.

1. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Same price, same amp and driver... so when there is no "WAF" to worry about, what should I get?

PB12-ISD

20-39PCi

At this point I was almost going to toss a coin because I can't decide, but I thought I'd ask around first.

The room isn't very big... around 9 x 18 feet if I remember right. Right now I use a Paradigm PDR-10. It cut it fine back in the dorm room, but not anymore...

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I'm sure someone else has something more informative for you, but you might consider that the cylinder is easier to move and not as heavy -- which probably makes a difference in shipping too.

Also, the box is tuned to 22Hz while the cylinder is tuned to 20Hz. Probably won't make a huge difference in the room, but it is a difference between the two.

3. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Thanks. Yeah shipping is a slight concern since it is coming to Canada, but I'm willing to pay the extra if its worth it.

4. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

As already stated. The cylinder is lighter and easier to move, can be a conversation piece and is tuned a touch lower. I'd get get PCi.

5. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Well, I ended up going with the 25-31pci with the custom 22hz tune option (making it a 22-31 i guess [​IMG] ). Wanted to keep the price as low as possible. Shipping was only 54 bucks to Canada. What a deal.

Anyway, just ordered it tonight...the wait begins! [​IMG]

Time to give the Paradigm PDR10 the boot.

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Hey thats a good idea...calling it (25-31PCi) a 22-31PCi because of the custom 22Hz tune.

7. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

Hey, that's what I've always called mine!

And shipping a lighter cylinder all the way out to Singapore makes a lot of sense, although that hasn't stopped a fair number of my countrymen from buying box subs.

8. Mitch G

Mitch G Agent

Did you get the 22-31, yet?
    How does it compare the PDR-10?

I have a PDR-10 currently, and someone put the idea in my head to upgrade my sub and the 20-39 or 25-31 are on my list of considerations.
    I didn't realize you could get it tuned for 22Hz which would split the difference for me quite nicely.

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

9. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Yes I did get the 22-31 on Tuesday...ordered on Thursday, in Canada by Tuesday! [​IMG]

It destroys the PDR10 and I haven't even fully calibrated it yet, nor tested other placements.

You can't really be disappointed with one, especially after living with a PDR10. I'm hearing types of bass I've never experienced before.

The only thing I don't like is that "new sub smell" disappears after a couple of days. Damn I love that smell. [​IMG]