SVS 20-39PC + vs. Servo 15..opinions please

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by John Dunlap, Apr 1, 2003.

1. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

Hi all,

I'm struggling with a decision between these 2 subs. I currently have a Paradigm PW-2200 and I'm cosidering upgrading because I feel as though it's a little weak in the subsonic frequency range. I don't want to just hear an explosion I want to hear it!

I'm wondering which sub you guys would go with. I realize that the SVS is considerably less expensive but I also have to weigh the fact that I can't hear it firsthand and I also can't facilitate a trade-in of my current sub if I buy online.

I would love to hear some informed opinions. Thanks.

John

2. Steven Simon

Steven Simon Producer

Steven Simon

3. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

John,

There's a good chance you'd get a better deal with your Paradigm on eBay than in trade either way you go.

-Robb

4. John Dunlap

My HT is in my basement and the room is about 4,000 cu. feet.
    Door
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx----xx 14'
    12' x S L C R x
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx x
    x x
    x x
    x LS ___ RS x
    x couch x
    x x
    x x Stairs
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx____xx x ____
    Door x x ____
    x ____
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks very much for your input!

5. John Dunlap

Oops! I tried to show the configuration of my room above. Must've gotten mangled.

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    John,

Double spaces are removed in normal text.

Cees

7. Manendra

Manendra Stunt Coordinator

John,

I have the PW-2200 as well and was thinking of an upgrade. I hope your post brings about a varied response. I have not heard SVS, but was looking also at Velodyne.

8. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Which SVS? Obviously they B4+ is gonna whoop the servo 15, but the PCi/CS series or the + series? I would put my money that the + is a class above, and cheaper, but i dunno about the basic series. Cheaper, yes, but in terms of performance, probably equals? I have a PCi 20-39, and it rocks, but it doesn't seem to be as invisible and effortless as the servo 15 i heard at the dealer. Maybe it's because it was in a very nice meridian system, but it's hard to judge. I've only used it for music so far, just a couple movies, because there's no big tv yet, and i don't even have a DVD player quite yet, so i haul stuff over from friends. Definitely a huge bargain though. From what i've heard sub-wise, I recommend both SVS and Paradigm very strongly, with the super-bargain going to SVS. So do you think the PCi/CS SVSs will run with a servo? Or beat it?

9. Mark Guidry

Mark Guidry Stunt Coordinator

I had the PW 2200 (still do acttualy) and went to 2 SVS 39cs+...I am very very happy. I realize its 2 subs vs 1 but I am still very happy I made the switch!

10. John Dunlap

One other factor I forgot to mention

11. John Dunlap

One other factor I forgot to mention is the WAF. If I upgrade to the Servo 15 my wife will never even know that I upgraded. If I buy the SVS, UPS will show up with a big 90 lb. water heater!!

I'm wondering how many of you SVS guys have ended up in divorce court because of your purchases. Please help to allay my fears! [​IMG]

12. Mark Guidry

Well I got mine right before I poped the question [​IMG] so she really had no say so in the matter (getting hitched in 2 months now)...and we just got a house and I told her that one of the main things we are looking for is a good spot for the HT gear so she knew it was coming. So now she has to deal with 2 water heaters in the corner of the room next to the entertainment center [​IMG] but believe it or not she dislikes the rear speakers hanging on the wall more than the subs...go figure!

13. Erich S

Erich S Agent

If the WAF leads you to a box sub, consider the upcoming SVS PB2-Plus. 17w x 29d x 25h with two of their Plus drivers (down firing) and a ~850 Watt amp. Price is not set yet but may be in the vicinity of what you would pay for the Servo-15 here in the USA.

Mark, I still get complaints about my rear speakers too.

14. Mark Guidry

Yeah Eric and the messed up thing is everyone that points them out is like...ohhh nice and is like i hate them..O well she sings a different tune when she is watching a movie tho [​IMG] [​IMG]

Now whats this about a new SVS sub??? I will have to look on there websight now!

15. Erich S

Erich S Agent

The SVS PB2-Plus is not on their web site yet but they should be ready to take pre-orders any day now with shipments starting later this month. I plan on ordering one as soon as they will let me. Search the forum for more information.

My wife may not like the looks of the surrounds but, when we have friends listen to them, it is the wives telling their husbands, "Honey, we need to get these". And I don't even have a subwoofer yet.[​IMG]