What's new

SVS 20-39 PC+ & Sony STR-DA4ES (1 Viewer)

terence

Supporting Actor
I have talked with Ron and Tom over at SVS and after giving them the dimensions of my room, they both said to go with the 20-39Pc+. I will place a order in two weeks. You guys were right they have excellent customer service! Something that alot of corporations need to learn all over again.

My question is. How do you 4ES owners like this combo and how did you go about setting up your sub? Sorry that would be two questions.:D

Jeffrey_B

Agent
Terence

I have the 20-39PC+ with a Sony ES30 receiver (about 4 years old). It's a great combo. My family room is 22 x 14 x 8 and the sub is more than capable. I have the sub volume up only about 1/3 and my sub out on the receiver at -5 db (range is -10 to +10 db). Get the sub and then the questions (and answers) will surely follow. You WILL want to get a Radio Shack SPL meter (anout $35). You won't be disappointed! JEFF

Zack_R

Stunt Coordinator
I have the 4ES and a SVS Ultra, too. I have done more tinkering than I though I would ever do with this receiver. After trying all sorts of crossover settings and volume settings, I *think* I have settled on a 70 hz crossover for the mains and the sub volume an -8. -10 for the sub is actually right around a rat shack reference calibration but I generally just leave at where it's at for music and movies. Although I'll probably change it -9 or -8.5 next week.

Some more info on my 4ES: I always run the mains at small. The other 4 surround and center channel are at 80 and hz crossover points. -21 on the receiver dial is an Avia calibrated reference setting. I can play TS2 at reference with no problem. Only a little temporary Samson red light flicker occurs. I generally listen at -15 db below reference but have been know to play some movies at 10 db below refeerence:). I can play music with the receiver volume well into the teens with no distortion I can detect and it is freaking loud at these volumes! I rarely play music below -40 and generally listen around -45 to -50 on the receiver dial.

I think the 4ES and SVS are a great combo.

When you get your SVS, make sure you also have Avia and an SPL meter. Also make sure you turn the sub phase knob to ensure you aren't getting any cancellation.

I know this is only a guess, but if you place the PC+ in a corner and find that you have to calibratre the sub at -4 or higher to get a corrected rat shack calibration with the avia sub set-up, you more than likely have a cancellation problem or your sub is not in an optimal location relative to your seat. Another way to tell is if you calibrate but you think music sounds like the bass is on the thin side, you probably have some cancellations issues.

I speaking here from my own experience in setting up my SVS. The Sony can also help you around this by experimenting with the various crossover settings to get one that works well for you.

Enjoy, and tell us how you like it upon receipt and set-up.

I have a 5ES and a 20-39 PC+ and love the combo. The only observation I would make is that I had problems with the PC+'s auto on function with the subwoofer calibrated as in the SVS manual (e.g., start with the subwoofer gain knob at 50% and the receiver's subwoofer level setting at 1/3 up and adjust from there). I ended up setting the Sony's level much higher (0, essentially) and lowering the gain knob.

terence

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all you guys comments. My 20-39pc+ came on Friday, i got home around 7 started set up at 8. I used VE & my trusty Rat Shack meter all i have to say is WOW! What a instant difference from my so called (2)AR 120w 12" subs, now i have outstanding bass in every seat in my theater! Let me say that everything you guys and others said about this sub is TRUE! I was worried that after reading so many professional & owner reviews my expectation's would be to high for the 20-39pc+ could never live up to. Well the 20-39pc+ surpassed my even my wildest dreams, i think i'm in love.:b

I do have one slight problem, at 25hz this one beam in the wall resonates very loud! When i press in on the spot that it is tapping on it stops, so... How can i fix this or is their a quick fix? The 20-39pc+ feels my 4000 cubic ft room with breaking a sweat, it is also great w/ music but it really shines w/ dvd movies & concerts.I have over 100 dvd's and believe me i'm busy trying to get a lot of them in just can't get enough this sub.:D I just need to fix the beam problem any suggestions would be great thx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks